and Drunks

Monday, November 12, 2012

Tristan Devin, Local Comedian and Cafe Proprietor, Reported Dead

Posted by on Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 11:43 AM

I posted this early this morning, but it has been updated.

Local comedians, as well as CHS blog, are reporting that Tristan Devin—a comedian, comedy producer, and the proprietor of the People's Republic Kafe, which is partnered with Scratch Deli—has passed away.

He was reportedly found inside his cafe Sunday morning. (The city's 911 records show a call to that address on Sunday at 9 am.) The cause of death has not been confirmed.

Devin was a central figure in the independent comedy scene, including People's Republic of Komedy.

Condolences to all.

UPDATE

There had been rumors that Devin committed suicide, but I was reluctant to post them until confirmed by an eyewitness or an official report.

Ian Thackaberry, the owner of Scratch Deli, confirms the sad news:

Hello Brendan,

My name is Ian Thackaberry. I am the owner of Scratch Deli. We did not find Tristan inside the cafe - that is a false report. He had hung himself in the alley behind the cafe. The entire community is shocked - we never saw it coming.

Thanks,
-Ian

Ian also says there will be a memorial service for Devin tomorrow at the People's Republic Kafe around 7 pm. All are welcome.

Again, many condolences to all.

mr. herriman 1
heartbreaking. condolences to all who lost a beautiful friend today. he will be missed.

Posted by mr. herriman on November 12, 2012 at 1:33 AM · Report this
amateurlawprof 2
Brendan, comments on Tristan's Facebook page show condolences arriving 10 hours ago. So looks like people knew about 9:30 p.m. last night.
Posted by amateurlawprof http://theamateurlawprofessor.com/ on November 12, 2012 at 7:34 AM · Report this
He was a kind and effortlessly funny man. He will very much be missed.
Posted by Sahoyah on November 12, 2012 at 7:34 AM · Report this
HOT PUSSY 4
I was just telling a friend at work how much I enjoyed chilling at PRC, in no small part because of the friendly service. Very sad.
Posted by HOT PUSSY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4QKiYar9pI on November 12, 2012 at 8:33 AM · Report this
bleedingheartlibertarian 5
That is just terrible. He was a very funny guy.
Posted by bleedingheartlibertarian on November 12, 2012 at 9:44 AM · Report this
sikandro 6
Damn. Didn't know him personally but have fond memories of him there.
Posted by sikandro on November 12, 2012 at 9:53 AM · Report this
Brendan, can you clarify what happened? His fb page reports friends knew he was deceased by 8pm but your post claims he was found dead at 9am.
Posted by Jacob M. on November 12, 2012 at 10:08 AM · Report this
I went in a few times recently and he was always incredibly nice. This is a loss for the neighborhood, and so sad for those who loved him.
Posted by JenV on November 12, 2012 at 10:19 AM · Report this
@2,7 - If you look at the time stamp of this post, Brendan posted it at 12:30 AM last night. So when he said "this morning" he was referring to yesterday (Sunday) morning.
Posted by JenV on November 12, 2012 at 10:23 AM · Report this
mackro 10
While this may be off Slog Radar, Tristan -- or "Tristan From Seattle" was a regular caller on The Best Show on WFMU, hosted by Tom Scharpling. I was always hoping to pop in and say hi and introduce myself as another fellow Seattle caller into The Best Show.

This really hits me badly.
Posted by mackro http://mackro.blogspot.com on November 12, 2012 at 10:36 AM · Report this
David Schmader 11
So, so awful.
Posted by David Schmader on November 12, 2012 at 11:51 AM · Report this
Posted by venomlash on November 12, 2012 at 12:26 PM · Report this
WHAT. THE. EVER-LIVING. FUCK!?!

I just talked to the guy a week or two ago. He was a decent warm and, most of all, contributing human being. This is just terrible. I can't believe it.

Fuck you, suicide.
Posted by tkc on November 12, 2012 at 12:40 PM · Report this
Cienna Madrid 14
This is really horrible. I don't know what I can possibly say beyond adding my hope that his friends and family are getting all the support they need right now.
Posted by Cienna Madrid on November 12, 2012 at 1:14 PM · Report this
so sorry for your loss. if needed/wanted... you can call 1-800-273-8255 (TALK) to talk to someone who will help you understand as best they can. being a suicide survivor is not an easy thing to go through alone. talk about it with friends and call for help.
there is also a survivor outreach program in Washington... email: wasopc@gmail.com
my best to you all.
Posted by ST Katz on November 12, 2012 at 1:30 PM · Report this
so sorry friends... suicide is never easy to understand. as a survivor of suicide, i can only suggest at this point to contact someone for some help. Washington as a survivor outreach group where you can talk to another person who has been through a loved ones suicide. email : wasopc@gmail.com
my best to you all... and deepest condolences. i do understand...
Posted by ST Katz on November 12, 2012 at 1:37 PM · Report this
I never knew the guy, but I offer my deepest condolences to those who did.
Posted by suddenlyorcas on November 13, 2012 at 9:41 AM · Report this
Adam Superfan 18
Very sad, he was always really, really nice to me - and VERY funny on stage. HE WILL BE MISSED!
Posted by Adam Superfan http://facebook.com/hateyouhumans on November 13, 2012 at 7:06 PM · Report this
Seattle has been robbed. Tristan was such a gifted comic...I can't believe he's gone just like that.
Posted by laughing guy on November 14, 2012 at 6:52 AM · Report this
As a suicide survivor 8 years now please no one
Be guilting yourself!!! Suicide is result of severe illness
Depression it's not Personal no matter what happened
Before hide sight is 20/20 don't beat yourself with guilt!!

Solos great yahoo group
Safe place NYC
Search online lot of very good suicide survival groups

May you be ex on yourselves who are feeling guilt!
It's not your fault!!!!
Posted by Robnj on November 15, 2012 at 8:01 AM · Report this
As a suicide survivor 8 years now please no one
Be guilting yourself!!! Suicide is result of severe illness
Depression it's not Personal no matter what happened
Before hide sight is 20/20 don't beat yourself with guilt!!

Solos great yahoo group
Safe place NYC
Search online lot of very good suicide survival groups

May you be ez and gentle on yourselves who are feeling guilt!
It's not your fault!!!!
Peace to you all!!!

Posted by Robnj on November 15, 2012 at 8:05 AM · Report this
Heard caller on best show tell story and I just knew what happened. So sorry for your loss if you need
Someone to talk to ill check this board often.

No guilt!!! No one deserves it!
Posted by Robnj on November 15, 2012 at 8:08 AM · Report this
I knew him as a child, we grew up next door to eachother, we all grew up and all moved on with our lives, We never really kept in touch, except once a year or every other year at my family holiday party's. So sad I never really got to know him in his prime. Looks like he touched a lot of lives in the mean time....
Posted by nairb on December 4, 2012 at 9:49 PM · Report this
Just terrible. What a talented guy.
Posted by awfulnews on December 15, 2012 at 11:08 AM · Report this