and Drunks

Friday, November 9, 2012

That Had to Hurt

Posted by on Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 8:17 AM

Who got a bigger percentage of the Mormon vote: George W. Bush or Willard M. Romney?

Ouch.

Matt from Denver 1
Pew Research finds that Mitt Romney won 78% of the Mormon vote in the 2102 [sic] presidential election.

Um, I really, really doubt that. Have you seen the Utah and Idaho results for Romney?
Posted by Matt from Denver on November 9, 2012 at 8:23 AM · Report this
Matt from Denver 2
Damnit! I misread that as "Who got a bigger percentage, Romney or Obama."

Ah well. Time for another cup of coffee.
Posted by Matt from Denver on November 9, 2012 at 8:26 AM · Report this
Romney also did better with white Evangelicals than with Mormons.
Posted by minderbender on November 9, 2012 at 8:26 AM · Report this
(Not sure why I capitalized "evangelicals.")
Posted by minderbender on November 9, 2012 at 8:27 AM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 5
I wonder what percentage of the gay vote went to Romney.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on November 9, 2012 at 8:43 AM · Report this
@5: Obama got 70% of the gay vote in 08. This time he got 77% of the gay vote.

I don't know what the fuck is wrong with the 23% of gay people who voted for Romney—I have theories—but I do know that GOProud and LCR's efforts to convince LGBT people to support Romney/Ryan failed pretty spectacularly.

And that's a good thing.
Posted by Dan Savage on November 9, 2012 at 8:49 AM · Report this
Backyard Bombardier 7
@Open, or closeted?
Posted by Backyard Bombardier on November 9, 2012 at 8:54 AM · Report this
Pick1 8
I thought they did exit polling in only 31 states this year. If Idaho or Utah wasn't one of the states then these don't mean much.

There would be some major changes
Posted by Pick1 on November 9, 2012 at 9:06 AM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 9
Thanks Dan. Gay people are raised in Republican homes, too and political families can leave a big impression growing up. That's my guess, anyway, for what it's worth.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on November 9, 2012 at 9:09 AM · Report this
I can understand why an LGBT person would vote for Mittens. If Obama had screwed up the country badly enough I'd have been the other gay dude for Romney. The right to get married doesn't mean much if you can't find a job.
Posted by Ken Mehlman on November 9, 2012 at 9:11 AM · Report this
reverend dr dj riz 11
i'm still scratching my head over the fact that given four years , the republicans couldn't produce a better candidate than romney
Posted by reverend dr dj riz on November 9, 2012 at 9:18 AM · Report this

you don't know because you are a narrow minded bigot who insists everyone must think just like you.

why didn't the ancient Greeks have gay "marriage"?

They were big fans of all things homo;
the ruling class totally accepting of the gay;
no xtianity or even monotheism to twist the people's minds...
why did the ancient Greek homosexuals disagree with you on gay "marriage"

what the fuck was their problem?.....

they probably knew that you can put lipstick on a pig but it is still a pig.
Posted by Bigotry makes people Stupid on November 9, 2012 at 9:25 AM · Report this
@11 Yes it is a little surprising, but I'm not complaining. I'm thinking it has a lot to do with the struggle within the party to appease the base while also finding someone who can appeal nationally. No easy task. If you look back at the primary, I don't think they started with a strong pool of candidates. I wonder if a lot of their serious candidates are holding back until 2016--hedging that their best shot is then because they will be on a more equal footing with whomever the Dems run.
Posted by carrma on November 9, 2012 at 9:54 AM · Report this
Also, unfortunately, some gays are racist.
Posted by LostinSC on November 9, 2012 at 9:59 AM · Report this
@12: If you think ancient Greeks had the concept of gayness or homosexuality as an identity the way that we have in the modern world, I think you're the one who is stupid.
Posted by MRM on November 9, 2012 at 10:16 AM · Report this
@6: Many of the LGBT folks I know voted third-party, actually. I doubt that would be the whole 23%, but I'd bet it's a chunk of that percentage.
Posted by Marone on November 9, 2012 at 10:22 AM · Report this
Posted by nanoboy on November 9, 2012 at 10:26 AM · Report this
Fnarf 18
@11, did you get a load of the other ones? Romney was BY FAR the best of the bunch. Which says a lot about the bunch.

Remember when everybody was pretending that Herman Cain and Michelle Bachmann and Rick Perry were for real? Snicker, snort.

I wonder what impact the remarkable success Mormonism has had in converting non-white people had on those vote tallies. Worldwide, LDS is or will soon be white-minority. They're still pretty white in the US, but getting less so every day. I'm thinking a fair number of black and Latino Mormons cast a pretty skeptical eye on the Mittman. Especially after the revelation that he rented their tax exemption for fifteen years.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on November 9, 2012 at 10:42 AM · Report this
Phoebe in Wallingford 19
A 2% difference makes a news story? Make it stop.
Posted by Phoebe in Wallingford on November 9, 2012 at 10:44 AM · Report this
Bauhaus I 20
Very enlightening. But also very surprising. I was thinking even the 3 or 4 Mormons who didn't vote for W. in 2000 or 2004 voted for Romney in 2012.

I was watching some PBS show - maybe The Newshour - where the reporter was on the campus of Brigham Young U. There were a very few people who voted for Obama in 2008 (that's what college can do to some in spite of everything) voting for Romney in 2012 because - well - because he was a Mormon, too - one of their own. So to find that W. had more support is most surprising. But it makes me wonder why.
Posted by Bauhaus I on November 9, 2012 at 12:14 PM · Report this