Friday, November 9, 2012

Squirts of Racism

Posted by on Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Dear Mr. Holden,

My daughter says that I recklessly put sriracha sauce on everything I eat. In your writing, I feel that you carelessly squirt the charge of racism on everything.

Not every social problem can be blamed on horrible racists running around being racist. After a while, the charge starts to seem forced... even lazy.

Yours very truly,

George Meyer
Seattle

I carelessly squirted back a reply to Mr. Meyer asking for examples of my writing placing "the charge of racism on everything."

Mr. Meyer pointed me to two pieces I've written. First, as evidence of my reckless squirting, he cited "Asian Americans Wonder if Racism Persists on Rob McKenna's Campaign," about the reaction to a McKenna staffer tweeting that Asians needed to "shut up and drive." How could anyone think that telling an entire race of people to shut up is racist? Mr. Meyer doesn't, apparently. Second, he cited a piece in which I used the word racism once: "It's Not About the Stoners." Only a reckless squirter would recklessly link the drug war and racial bias.

Squirt, squirt, squirt.

biffp 1
My co-stars say I recklessly chiz on everything I eat. In your writing, I feel that you carelessly squirt the charge of racism on everything.

Ron Jeremy
Posted by biffp on November 9, 2012 at 11:37 AM · Report this
Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In 2
MMMMmmmmm..... Sriracha.....
Posted by Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In on November 9, 2012 at 11:37 AM · Report this
merry 3
Augh, you got some in my eye!!!!!1 dammit
Posted by merry on November 9, 2012 at 11:38 AM · Report this
The George Meyer, who now lives in Seattle? http://www.snpp.com/other/interviews/mey…
Posted by simpsonsfan on November 9, 2012 at 11:41 AM · Report this
ArtBasketSara 5
I will NOT swallow this!
Posted by ArtBasketSara on November 9, 2012 at 11:42 AM · Report this
Squirt.
Posted by TravisConquest on November 9, 2012 at 11:43 AM · Report this
I've been seeing a lot of this self-delusion lately, especially from some of the worst offenders on Facebook and Twitter on election night. Case in point: http://ow.ly/fapyW

I honestly don't think these folks know what "racist" means.
Posted by jadam on November 9, 2012 at 11:44 AM · Report this
Holden wins. Squirt away.
Posted by Curtis Interruptus on November 9, 2012 at 11:44 AM · Report this
treacle 9
I'll bet "George Meyer" is the nom de plume of someone well known...

Also, I'm hungry now.
Posted by treacle on November 9, 2012 at 11:45 AM · Report this
Racists are never racist.
Posted by maddogm13 on November 9, 2012 at 11:48 AM · Report this
Previous comment link screwed up. Please allow me to try again:

Is this from THE George Meyer. Who IS famous, @9. Who lives in Seattle? Who has a child with famous novelist Maria Semple? Who is so well regarded that the very fact the Simpsons was good was credited to him by the New Yorker?

Personally, I might give that guy a little more credence. Unless it's a different George Meyer.
Posted by simpsonsfan on November 9, 2012 at 11:50 AM · Report this
Dominic Holden 12
@11) Thank you for registering for our blog just a few minutes ago and posting your first two comments, simpsonsfan.
Posted by Dominic Holden on November 9, 2012 at 11:54 AM · Report this
Not The Simpsons writer George Meyer, boyfriend to "Where'd You Go, Bernadette" novelist and Arrested Development writer Maria Semple, who recently moved with Maria and their daughter to Seattle from LA, where they had lived in the redwood fuck palace Wilt Chamberlain built?
Posted by gloomy gus on November 9, 2012 at 11:55 AM · Report this
@11, I swear I didn't see your comment! I claim originality for "redwood fuck palace", at least...
Posted by gloomy gus on November 9, 2012 at 11:58 AM · Report this
biffp 15
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding hot sauce tosser?
Posted by biffp on November 9, 2012 at 11:58 AM · Report this
Matt from Denver 17
@ 7, I can tell you that no, a lot of people don't understand racism in this country. A few years ago, I got into an online debate with a young Mormon about the Willie Horton ad in the 1988 election. He couldn't see that it was racist, and he assured me that he knew what racism looked like because he had met a lot of them when he was a missionary.

Basically, he was speaking of guys who were either klansmen or open to joining them. He didn't have a clue about all the subtle shades racism comes in. He didn't see why an ad showing a big, scary looking black guy could scare white voters. (Especially in 1988 - not sure how an ad like that would be taken today.) Institutional racism wasn't something he could grasp.
Posted by Matt from Denver on November 9, 2012 at 12:01 PM · Report this
jnmend 18
Please take Bethany's job for a week and do a racism-themed restaurant review.
Posted by jnmend on November 9, 2012 at 12:03 PM · Report this
Max Solomon 19
Bigotry < Racism. I wish we used that word more.
Posted by Max Solomon on November 9, 2012 at 12:04 PM · Report this
icouldliveinhope 20

RIGHT, but a TON can be blamed on everyday folks running around spouting normalized racially-charged rhetoric not realizing how horribly fucking racist they are being. A lot of people (particularly white people -- I know I had a lot of trouble wrapping my head around this when I first started learning) have trouble realizing that racism is more deeply-rooted than dastardly racist villains running around with Swastikas on their foreheads being racist JUST FOR THE FUN OF RACISM.

Keep fighting the good fight, Dom.
Posted by icouldliveinhope on November 9, 2012 at 12:05 PM · Report this
@14 Let's call it a tie. And you still get "Redwood fuck palace"

@12 Hi Dom. sorry, sounds to my ears like you're employing sarcasm. Is registering to comment not what you encourage people to do?
Posted by simpsonsfan on November 9, 2012 at 12:07 PM · Report this
evilvolus 22
I do think there's a tendency to conflate "racial insensitivity" and "just plain tastelessness" with "racism."

Racism is about believing in the superiority of one people over another. That there is something fundementally good about one, or fundementally wrong about the other. Arresting black kids smoking pot because they're all gang-bangers, while releasing white kids because they're just kids-being-kids...that's absolutely racism. Slapping a bird on Johnny Depp's head, or wearing a ridiculous feather headdress on the runway isn't racism. It's just tasteless.
Posted by evilvolus on November 9, 2012 at 12:09 PM · Report this
ArtBasketSara 23
@12 what! No one congratulated me on registering and posting. ME of all people! Surely an injustice...
Posted by ArtBasketSara on November 9, 2012 at 12:16 PM · Report this
MacCrocodile 24
I am not cleaning up all these charges of racism, young man.
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on November 9, 2012 at 12:19 PM · Report this
very bad homo 25
Your posts are also kind of gay.
Posted by very bad homo on November 9, 2012 at 12:23 PM · Report this
Rujax! 26
@23...

...racism. Clearly.
Posted by Rujax! http://rujax.blogspot.com/ on November 9, 2012 at 12:28 PM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 27
When you think your own race is full of ignorant assholes, is that racism?
Posted by Pope Peabrain on November 9, 2012 at 12:42 PM · Report this
ArtBasketSara 28
@26 Thank you. I'm really not a much of a squirter but if the rubber sheet fits...
Posted by ArtBasketSara on November 9, 2012 at 12:45 PM · Report this
Eastpike 30
Typical butt-hurt republican. Racist.
Posted by Eastpike on November 9, 2012 at 12:49 PM · Report this
Eastpike 31
One take-away from this: Sriracha is really delicious.
Posted by Eastpike on November 9, 2012 at 12:51 PM · Report this
"Not every social problem can be blamed on horrible racists running around being racist." - True. Some can be blamed on racists who walk around being racist.

This actually reminds me of a guy* who said that he was "tired" of hearing about gender issues and sexism. Yes sir, a lot of us are tired of those issues and wish they wouldn't impact all of us so much. He, fortunately, had the privilege to not have it smack him in the face or poke him incessantly on a daily basis.

Also: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/sriracha

Now I have a craving for Sriracha, despite already eating spicy Indian food. Must squirt racist spiciness!

* Said guy claimed that he needed more mental stimulation because his wife was dull. Let's just say I wonder if she thought the same thing of him - he wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed.
Posted by MemeGene on November 9, 2012 at 12:59 PM · Report this
blip 33
Hot.
Posted by blip on November 9, 2012 at 1:06 PM · Report this
But seriously, is it comedic genius George Meyer?
Posted by 07wsf on November 9, 2012 at 2:36 PM · Report this
venomlash 35
@18: Lemme guess, go to a bunch of fried-chicken joints and order some grape Kool-Aid?
Posted by venomlash on November 9, 2012 at 3:01 PM · Report this
@22
> I do think there's a tendency to conflate "racial insensitivity"
> and "just plain tastelessness" with "racism."

Yes, and there's also a tendency to conflate any portrayal of race, acknowledgement of race, or use of any traits typically associated with a particular race with racism as well. Thinking a hot lingerie model looks good with a feathered headdress on is not fucking racism. Full disclosure: I own a hawaiian shirt.

Posted by beef rallard on November 9, 2012 at 3:02 PM · Report this
SKEET SKEET SKEET
Posted by bbkpoker on November 9, 2012 at 3:41 PM · Report this
bedipped 39
Love comes in spurts, racism comes in squirts...got it.
Posted by bedipped on November 9, 2012 at 4:07 PM · Report this
Free Lunch 40
@17 - I spent a summer at the University of Indiana, and had a dorm mate say to me: "I suppose just because I think blacks aren't as smart as whites, you'd call me a racist."
Posted by Free Lunch on November 9, 2012 at 7:54 PM · Report this
brocaine 41
@4 & @11: thanks for reading my mind. You just got a note from a motherfucking genius and national treasure, Mr. Holden.

Posted by brocaine http://www.superporkteenexplosion.com on November 9, 2012 at 8:31 PM · Report this
sissoucat 44
@39 There are exceptions. When I squirt it's not because racism comes.
Posted by sissoucat on November 12, 2012 at 3:16 AM · Report this