and Drunks

Friday, November 9, 2012

Re: Our Crying President

Posted by on Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 3:20 PM

There is nothing ridiculous about crying. Unless you enforce chauvinist bullshit on a level so deep it's biological.

Charles, you know I love you.

But just this once, how does it feel to be on the wrong side of history?

I see you softening over there at your desk—today, backing away from your historical stance of specifically calling out men on crying, and instead claiming that nobody should cry.

Good try, but I see it. I see what's going on.

Let it out.

My shoulder is right here.

seatackled 1
But what's there to love about a Marxist Ayn Rand?
Posted by seatackled on November 9, 2012 at 3:28 PM · Report this
My stoic African daddy never cared about me SOBBBB!
Posted by matt! on November 9, 2012 at 3:32 PM · Report this
It is a cultural difference. Coming myself from Britain, the land of stiff upper lips where men are never seen to cry, I can understand Charles' discomfort on this one.

I had a hard time getting used to how much men cry here. I don't know if I'm at 100% acceptance yet. Probably not.

I still have a hard time with how much Boehner cries. He's just a big baby.
Posted by originalcinner on November 9, 2012 at 3:41 PM · Report this
Xavier Lopez Jr. 4
Whining, pouting, throwing hissy-fits on small time cable channels are okay, but one tear that is unacceptable. Truth is, the Republicans can't get over how truly defunct their party is. And also, Charles--about the president crying--it's his party and he can cry if he wants to! And Matt, Mitt-rag was the one with daddy issues. It was obvious the whole time that he was trying to live up to his phallogocentrically infested dog-brain. Obama just had a human moment--Romney, sadly is a bit of a robot.
Posted by Xavier Lopez Jr. on November 9, 2012 at 3:44 PM · Report this
@3 yeah but we're not talking about John Boehner sobbing uncontrollably about a budget measure. Obama was addressing his team who just pulled off one of the hardest fought election victories in recent history. After 2 years of non-stop battle, can you blame the guy for getting a little choked up? Its not even like he started bawling.
Posted by matt! on November 9, 2012 at 3:46 PM · Report this
seandr 6
For all we know, the fact that men cry less often than women does have biological origins.

But whatever its origins, this gender difference only makes the moment more powerful when a man does cry.
Posted by seandr on November 9, 2012 at 3:49 PM · Report this
Jen, you're adorable. <3
Posted by Zuulabelle http://www.mellophant.com on November 9, 2012 at 3:54 PM · Report this
"Men crying in general" and "a great man having special moment" are two different things, I admit.

In my own life, I've only ever seen two men cry. My father, when my grandma died. And my ex, when we broke up.

I've never seen a man cry happy tears. It just isn't part of my world.
Posted by originalcinner on November 9, 2012 at 4:04 PM · Report this
RainMan 9
Chris Christie confessed to tears when he spoke with Bruce Springsteen over the phone. Obama showed tears when thanking his supporters for a hard won campaign. Either is understandable. But John Boehner bursts into tears more often than Tammy Faye Bakker watching Old Yeller. What a baby.
Posted by RainMan on November 9, 2012 at 4:06 PM · Report this
Jen, good one. Charles, you bore me to tears.
Posted by melville on November 9, 2012 at 4:11 PM · Report this
treacle 11
Strong men also cry...

Actually, the link is an op-ed piece about the critical importance of warm relationships in mens' lives, and how they can actually learn. Old dog? New tricks! <3
Posted by treacle on November 9, 2012 at 4:11 PM · Report this
Love this post.
Posted by gnossos on November 9, 2012 at 4:12 PM · Report this
Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In 13
@3 You are so missing the point. Charles wasn't saying, "I felt odd witnessing this moment, as I was brought up to think blah blah blah." No, he goes into full chauvinistic ethnocentric mode and displays his profound lack of "philosophy" by castigating the president for not adhering to his own small-minded code of acceptable behavior. I'm glad you agree w/ the ideas & philosophies of Cecil Rhodes, Mr. Mudede. Duly noted.

Jen, I'm glad you called him on his crap. Perhaps this is a "teachable moment"?
Posted by Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In on November 9, 2012 at 4:24 PM · Report this
seandr 14
@8: I've never seen a man cry tears of joy either.

Personally, I prefer the British stiff upper lip to American whinging and blubbering.
Posted by seandr on November 9, 2012 at 4:38 PM · Report this
danindowntown 15
@ 3 Was Winston Churchill a baby? He was known to cry freely when moved by triumph or tragedy.

Posted by danindowntown on November 9, 2012 at 4:42 PM · Report this
Reverse Polarity 16
I am a descendant in a long line of stiff-upper-lip Brits who never cry under any circumstances. Never. Ever. Even though I know, intellectually, that this repression is silly, it is deeply ingrained. I have managed to remain utterly stoic at many funerals, and not shed a tear. I know it's stupid, but I can't help it. This notion that it is unmanly to cry, that it is a sign of weakness, runs so deep that my intellect cannot overcome the raw gut need to maintain utter control of my outward emotions.

Sadly, it seems that Charles is even deeper in this hole than I am. Good luck trying to change him, but I fear you will have little success.
Posted by Reverse Polarity on November 9, 2012 at 4:46 PM · Report this
Sandiai 17
@4, I thought Matt was referring to Charles with that daddy comment. You were right about Mitt, though. That Frontline special about Mitt's past is all about his father and whether Mitt was going to surpass his father's legacy. (Also, the car accident).
Posted by Sandiai on November 9, 2012 at 5:12 PM · Report this
tainte 18
so chuckles is cryist?
Posted by tainte on November 9, 2012 at 5:12 PM · Report this
Hawke 19
Well-played, Jen *clapclapclap*
Posted by Hawke http://facebook.com/thehawke on November 9, 2012 at 5:14 PM · Report this
Matt from Denver 20
@ 6... no. Try looking up what science has to say, first.

@ 8/14, watch the video of Mira Sorvino accepting her Oscar. When the camera pans out to Paul Sorvino, you can tell me what kind of tears he was crying.
Posted by Matt from Denver on November 9, 2012 at 5:19 PM · Report this
Obama wasn't joyful. He was extremely touched that people cared enough about the issues he cared about, and about HIM, to get involved in helping him get into office. The guy didn't have a father in his life, his stepfather was an abusive drunk, and his mother eventually left him with his grandparents. Why wouldn't he get emotional when people showed they cared?
Posted by sarah70 on November 9, 2012 at 5:43 PM · Report this
Holding back tears is like holding back a shit. Let it out, son. It's good for you.
Posted by paulus on November 9, 2012 at 5:54 PM · Report this
reverend dr dj riz 23
whatever charles said , he was wrong. he's written about this before and he was just as wrong then as he is now ( and no, i didn't even read what he said about it ) tears are a gift, one that charles lacks. and i love both of you so there.
Posted by reverend dr dj riz on November 9, 2012 at 6:23 PM · Report this
ScienceNerd 24
I never cry, am I manly?
Posted by ScienceNerd http://stanichium.tumblr.com/ on November 9, 2012 at 6:25 PM · Report this
Dougsf 25
We may be intellectual beasts, but we're as hormonal as any of our mammalian cousins.

Can you imagine how much cortisol has been running through that man's veins this entire election season? It's a wonder he didn't cry backstage as the numbers came in then rip his shirt off during his acceptance speech.
Posted by Dougsf on November 9, 2012 at 6:34 PM · Report this
joey veltkamp 26
2012 and The Stranger is still wondering if it's okay for men to cry?! There is SO MUCH WORK to do in this world...even in our bubble! I have a weakness for "strong" men crying. It's so beautiful to see people be honest.
Posted by joey veltkamp http://joeyveltkamp.com on November 9, 2012 at 7:16 PM · Report this
Thank you, @26. I also do not understand why men crying is even an issue. Let's all move on from dwelling on such things. Please.
Posted by Fire Chief on November 9, 2012 at 8:03 PM · Report this
Fnarf 28
@8, @14, what are you talking about? I cry tears of joy at sporting events, fer chrissakes. Nothing could be more American-male. Charles not so much.

If this happens we want a GIF, of course.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on November 9, 2012 at 8:21 PM · Report this
Men should cry more often, and we should all get over it.
Posted by BallardBoy on November 9, 2012 at 9:55 PM · Report this
mr. herriman 30
i am so tired of this guy and his nonsensical, egomaniacal bullshit. he's an embarrassment to the stranger. i enjoy the space photos, but that's where it ends. (and you can find those anywhere).
Posted by mr. herriman on November 10, 2012 at 1:36 AM · Report this
McJulie 31
I finally watched the clip. A moment of getting choked up and wiping away a couple of dignified tears while you're telling people you're proud of them? That is extremely manly crying. Charles is nuts.
Posted by McJulie on November 10, 2012 at 6:28 AM · Report this
@21 Sarah70,

Dang Girl! You almost made me cry with your comment. Never knew that Obama had an alcoholic step-dad. Knew that Clinton had one.

Nothing wrong with men crying. Poor Charles. He needs to cry and get it over with.
Posted by Patricia Kayden on November 10, 2012 at 4:51 PM · Report this
Puty 33
Aw, but sometimes it's fun when Charles is weird and wrong and ridiculous. I like it. Stand firm, stoic man-hero!
Posted by Puty on November 11, 2012 at 12:05 PM · Report this
Make Tonderai cry by sending him back to that slum Harare where he came from.
Posted by Stranger'sWorstNightmare on November 11, 2012 at 12:07 PM · Report this
GhostDog 35
There is a phenomenon that I call the "Single Man Tear".

Basically this means that in certain circumstances a Real Man(TM) is allowed to shed no more than one tear a month if something truly and utterly extreme has happened. Like having your arm ripped off.

Or, say, winning the Oval Office against a campaign that had a budget of several hundred million dollars.
Posted by GhostDog on November 11, 2012 at 6:09 PM · Report this