Friday, November 9, 2012

Has Christopher Walken Ever Been the Emotional Center of a Movie Before?

Posted by on Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Cheers. Everything is about to fall apart.
  • Cheers. Everything is about to fall apart.

I am not an exhaustive resource on Christopher Walken, so please answer the question by telling me that obviously, yes, he was the emotional center in this and that and this. To me it felt notable that he is the emotional center of a movie about Beethoven and entropy and Catherine Keener's pinched face and Imogen Poots's lips and Philip Seymour Hoffman's hairiness that opens this weekend, A Late Quartet. The movie is good. Walken is great in it.

Review and movie times.

Urgutha Forka 1
He was definitely one of the emotional parts of The Deer Hunter but not the only emotional center in that film.

In my opinion, he was the emotional center in King of New York too.
Posted by Urgutha Forka on November 9, 2012 at 12:16 PM · Report this
mkyorai 2
He was pretty close to the emotional center of the (underrated, in my opinion) Suicide Kings.
Posted by mkyorai on November 9, 2012 at 12:18 PM · Report this
Schmapdi 3
Aww, I came in here to mention Suicide Kings. Which is indeed very awesome and underrated.
Posted by Schmapdi on November 9, 2012 at 12:20 PM · Report this
Posted by wormletter on November 9, 2012 at 12:25 PM · Report this
Geocrackr 5
He was obviously the emotional center of Pulp Fiction.
Posted by Geocrackr on November 9, 2012 at 12:27 PM · Report this
Weapon of Choice
Posted by paulus on November 9, 2012 at 12:29 PM · Report this
ArtBasketSara 8
Kangaroo Jack. Obviously...
Posted by ArtBasketSara on November 9, 2012 at 12:36 PM · Report this
Bauhaus I 9
Oscar time!
Posted by Bauhaus I on November 9, 2012 at 12:36 PM · Report this
Akbar Fazil 10
Definitely the emotional center of 'Blast from the Past'
Posted by Akbar Fazil on November 9, 2012 at 12:37 PM · Report this
tainte 12
what's the opposite of christopher reeves?
Posted by tainte on November 9, 2012 at 12:48 PM · Report this
The Max 13
@12: it's Reeve. George Reeves played The Big Blue Schoolboy in a bunch of really shitty serials in the 40s and 50s. While the serials themselves are terrible, Reeves was good. And it was the perfect role for him. Biggest thing he did without the S was as Burt Lancaster's BFF in From Here to Eternity. He wound up killing himself (most likely, the George Reeves conspiracies aren't all completely nuts). So that's how you remember Christopher (paralyzed) Reeve--who toughed out ten years as a C-2 Incomplete Vent-Dependent quadriplegic no-S. George Reeves--who failed to meet the standards of the Hollywood Dream and (probably) did for himself with a Walther PPK--S for suicide.
Posted by The Max on November 9, 2012 at 1:01 PM · Report this
Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In 14
I was going to say Heaven's Gate, but I've never seen it. No one has.
Posted by Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In on November 9, 2012 at 1:01 PM · Report this
He was the emotional center of that one Fatboy Slim video.

Posted by mitten on November 9, 2012 at 1:03 PM · Report this
@10 I love that movie!
Posted by mitten on November 9, 2012 at 1:04 PM · Report this
Hey, how about Seven Psychopaths?
Posted by LMcGuff http://holyoutlaw.livejournal.com/ on November 9, 2012 at 1:18 PM · Report this
If by "emotional center" you mean "action hero," then yes: McBain.
Posted by Proteus on November 9, 2012 at 1:19 PM · Report this
@14 I saw the original theatrical release, which was quashed after two days and sent back for re-chopping. I thought it was awesome, but I'm weird. It didn't just stand the Hollywood western on its head, it slaughtered it in cold blood. It was a grand, historical fiction with the gritty underbelly of a Dickensian landscape. The audience didn't like that one bit. While Walken was clearly a protagonist, the emotional center of that film wasn't in any of the characters, but in the politics and agrarian rivalries of that world.
Posted by Brooklyn Reader on November 9, 2012 at 1:23 PM · Report this
merry 21
@ 13 - Err, that buzzing sound you hear is @12's post sailing right over your head.....

Whoopsy-doobie!!
Posted by merry on November 9, 2012 at 1:48 PM · Report this
merry 22
Oh Good Lord I'm a doofus.

"Never Mind." :-)
Posted by merry on November 9, 2012 at 1:49 PM · Report this
Fnarf 23
Walken was the emotional center of "The Comfort of Strangers". Unfortunately, this is the worst movie ever made.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on November 9, 2012 at 2:03 PM · Report this
Communion, 1989, based on the book by Whitley Strieber
Posted by Charlie Mas on November 9, 2012 at 2:18 PM · Report this
While he wasn't the central character, I would argue that he was the heartbreaking emotional core of Catch Me If You Can.
Posted by highverbalfan on November 9, 2012 at 2:25 PM · Report this
knobtheunicorn 26
I don't know if you could say he was the emotional center of Scotland P.A. but he was definitely the moral center of that film, him being McDuff and all.
Posted by knobtheunicorn on November 9, 2012 at 3:03 PM · Report this
Bub 27
Christopher Walken is the emotional center of another new release, Seven Psychopaths. After so many years of playing a caricature of himself, it is great to see Walken really acting again.
Posted by Bub on November 9, 2012 at 3:15 PM · Report this
bedipped 28
He was the emotional black hole of Dead Zone. Recovering from brain damage he provided a role model for many a Keanu Reeve role.
Posted by bedipped on November 9, 2012 at 3:23 PM · Report this
knobtheunicorn 29
Just a thought but I'd fucking love to see Walken do a movie with Alan Arkin. Like a way past their prime buddy cop movie. Or as rival lotharios of a retirement community. Or just walking around New York getting into old dude shenanigans while grousing at each other and everything else.
Posted by knobtheunicorn on November 9, 2012 at 3:39 PM · Report this
@23 no, the worst movie ever made was Dead Zone in which Walken was the emotional center, even if I don't know what the hell y'all mean by Emotional Center.
Posted by SeMe on November 9, 2012 at 3:49 PM · Report this
Reverse Polarity 31
At this point, I'd go see just about anything with Walken in it. Philip Seymour Hoffman too. It was a joy to watch just the trailer for A Late Quartet. I can't wait to see this movie.
Posted by Reverse Polarity on November 9, 2012 at 3:53 PM · Report this
Wandergeist 32
Came here to mention Scotland PA, which nobody I ever mention it to has seen, but knobtheunicorn beat me to it. "Emotional center" is kind of a squishy concept, especially when it comes to Shakespeare and his interpreters, but the movie is worth noting for his performance alone.
Posted by Wandergeist on November 9, 2012 at 4:34 PM · Report this
Deer Hunter. Period. No contest.
Posted by crone on November 9, 2012 at 10:56 PM · Report this
The Dead Zone.
Posted by fotoeve on November 10, 2012 at 12:10 AM · Report this
@29 You have your wish. Stand-up guys stars Walken, Alan Arkin and Al Pacino (and is pretty damn good.) Sounds like it'll get wide release in January. (I saw it at a film festival last weekend.)
Posted by amerlinh on November 10, 2012 at 12:52 PM · Report this
knobtheunicorn 36
I, apparently, am on a wishes granted streak this week. Thanks for the heads up @35, I just watched the trailer and that looks pretty fucking good. I will expect to weep manly, man tears.
Posted by knobtheunicorn on November 10, 2012 at 2:09 PM · Report this