Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Last Night Was a Big Fucking Deal for LGBT Americans

Posted by on Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 11:03 AM

The newish head of HRC—Chad Griffin—takes a victory lap, reminds us that there's more work to do.

Gordon Werner 1
as someone who is not LGBT ... I have to say that it was actually a Big Fucking Deal for ALL Americans ...

maybe not for the small-brained troglodytes amongst us ... but intolerance has never been good for our nation
Posted by Gordon Werner on November 7, 2012 at 11:11 AM · Report this
2008 was a bittersweet moment for me. Obama won, huge Democratic tide, historical election. But I felt excluded from the festivities by the Prop. 8 loss, which was a real surprise.

This feels bigger than 2008 to me. We get to be part of the party this time. I'm having a really hard time adjusting to this whole not being on the outside looking in thing.
Posted by Corydon on November 7, 2012 at 11:14 AM · Report this
Fred Casely 3
"Big Fucking Deal"™ Joe Biden 2016 Campaign Committee.
Posted by Fred Casely on November 7, 2012 at 11:15 AM · Report this
ArtBasketSara 4
I know I had goose bumps a number of times. Your president including gay or straight (as in it doesn't matter whether you are...) in his acceptance speech was amazing to hear.

Acknowledging support for gay people and gay marriage during a campaign to be re-elected was nice... but this is better.
Posted by ArtBasketSara on November 7, 2012 at 11:17 AM · Report this
@4 It does feel bigger, and last night was an unbelievable achievement. But I'll be the debbie downer and say: I live in Cali, and I still feel outside looking in.

Seriously though, amazing night on so many levels. Congratulations to to the families who got a whole lot closer to equal under the law last night!
Posted by Nate on November 7, 2012 at 11:29 AM · Report this
the world is a different place.

*sigh*.....

why- this morning our farts were sweet smelling rainbow flames...
Posted by we also shit out a pink unicorn. ouch..... on November 7, 2012 at 11:33 AM · Report this
Will in Seattle 7
You can see the money flow as the Rmoney Komrades self-deport.

And now Seattle is a mecca for both MJ and gay marriage tourism. Gonna be fun!

(remember 12-6-12 is our 4-20, not before)
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on November 7, 2012 at 11:34 AM · Report this
despicable me 8
From what I've read, HRC contributed around $5.5 million to the 4 marriage amendments on the ballots last night. I don't think we could have done it without them. I know people are contribution weary, but $10.00 will help HRC keep up the good fight for all LGBT Americans. Please think about making a donation to them today. I did.

And a big heartfelt THANK YOU, DAN SAVAGE, from the bottom of my heart for all you've done for us! I also want to thank LGBT bloggers who like you, put their heart and soul and effort into this election. Urging everyone to get out the word about what was at stake and how we could make this happen if we just talked to family, friends, co-workers, neighbors, even strangers.

Our time has come. How sweet it is. Much love to you Dan, Terry and DJ. <3
Posted by despicable me on November 7, 2012 at 11:38 AM · Report this
Beautifully put, though I am not fond of his cowl neck sweater, extraneous buttons notwithstanding.
Posted by gloomy gus on November 7, 2012 at 11:43 AM · Report this
Theodore Gorath 10
And a big deal for all Americans who believe equality and liberty are for every person, not just those who look and think exactly like we do.

Was so happy this year to be a Marylander and get to directly vote for something that really fucking matters to so many people.
Posted by Theodore Gorath on November 7, 2012 at 11:45 AM · Report this
kim in portland 11
Selfishly I'm glad that my opportunities to help financially and conversationally were witnessed by our kids. I know that sounds awful. I really hope their enthusiasm for equality and service will go forward with them into their futures.

I tip my hat and congratulate everyone who stood together and worked to make the US a more just and compassionate place.
Posted by kim in portland http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/11/fast-paced_video_provides_a_fu.html on November 7, 2012 at 11:48 AM · Report this
long-time reader 12
@9, indeed; that sweater looks comfortable but shouldn't be worn in public.
Posted by long-time reader on November 7, 2012 at 11:49 AM · Report this

What's next?
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://_ on November 7, 2012 at 11:52 AM · Report this
aureolaborealis 14
On a gay side note: Am I the only person in the universe who didn't realize that Nate Silver, who I've been calling my secret boyfriend for months, is actually gay?
He's arguably the most important analyst of the 2012 elections (outside of the Obama campaign).
Posted by aureolaborealis on November 7, 2012 at 11:54 AM · Report this
Pick1 15
I've grabbed my shotgun and begun rounding up straight couples for their forcible gay weddings. Where am I supposed to drop them off?
Posted by Pick1 on November 7, 2012 at 12:02 PM · Report this
Parent of a gay son, sister of a gay brother.
This is wonderful beyond words for every human.
Posted by Fire Chief on November 7, 2012 at 12:02 PM · Report this
@1 "I have to say that it was actually a Big Fucking Deal for ALL Americans"

AMEN!

Also, I couldn't help but imagine, and someone certainly needs to do an edit that includes, Rip Taylor tossing confetti in all that white space behind Chad Griffin.
Posted by "Happy Days Are Here Again." on November 7, 2012 at 12:07 PM · Report this
BEG 18
@2, I know _exactly_ what you mean. By all rights, California should be proudly listed with the other marriage equality states.
Posted by BEG http://twitter.com/#!/browneyedgirl65 on November 7, 2012 at 12:21 PM · Report this
raggeddog 19
That guy was really setting off my gay-dar :-)

I'm a straight, married, white dude in Ohio, and I couldn't be happier! Way to go ME, MD, MN and WA.

Now it's time to end DOMA and force _all_ states and the federal government to recognize these *legal* marriages.
Posted by raggeddog on November 7, 2012 at 12:35 PM · Report this
Helenka (also a Canuck) 20
@15

I believe every town first has to paint its ferris wheel in rainbow colours; only then can rounded up straight couples be forced to separate and sit with same-sex strangers on the ferris wheel. The person next to them in each gondola is whom they'll have to marry.

Thank you for fulfilling your civic duty. When you've accumulated your quota, your free toaster AND microwave will be delivered.

Snorfle!
Posted by Helenka (also a Canuck) on November 7, 2012 at 1:00 PM · Report this
I long ago told my girlfriend that marriage was off the table until marriage equality in WA. I'm glad I wasn't made a liar by my premature proposal (I hadn't realized they could delay it by saying "waaaaaaah", and proposed when the leg passed the bill.)

So there's one hetero couple getting married BECAUSE it passed.

Cheers!
Posted by Hanoumatoi on November 7, 2012 at 1:21 PM · Report this
Not just for LGBT Americans. Not just for Americans.

A headline in Mexican newspaper La Razón today: "Ganó Obama: el mundo duerme más tranquilo" (Obama won. The rest of the world sleeps better).

A heartfelt thanks to all Americans who voted Democrat.
Posted by Ricardo on November 7, 2012 at 1:39 PM · Report this
Happy for Americans! I hope it catches like wildfire!

So, husband in America, full stop, right? I do hope Dan'd retire huzzzband now.

Also happy that the rape guys lost. That's divine justice.
Posted by fahima on November 7, 2012 at 1:42 PM · Report this
puppydogtails 24
@14 - Nate Silver is gay. Oh that is too delicious.
Posted by puppydogtails on November 7, 2012 at 2:34 PM · Report this
Do the buttons on the sweater actually serve a purpose, or are they merely decorative? They're positioned in such a way that even the pretense of functionality, like the kind you get with ersatz elbow patches, is lost.
Posted by Joe Glibmoron on November 7, 2012 at 2:53 PM · Report this
You know, I never thought I'd see this day... Certainly not half my life ago when I was confused and lost and it seemed like our only truly visible media ally was Madonna...

Now, 21 years later. The whole world has changed. It simply astounds me...
Posted by bittergaymark on November 7, 2012 at 10:59 PM · Report this
As someone who is not LGBT and not American ... I have to say that it was actually a BFD for everyone... Well done, USA.
Posted by fubar on November 8, 2012 at 6:47 AM · Report this