and Drunks

Monday, November 5, 2012

Mitt Romney's Secret Stash

Posted by on Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 10:47 AM

No matter what happens tomorrow—and I urge you to step away from the bullshit "think-pieces" alleging that the race is super-close because national polls are tight, because they don't help anything—there will be one verifiably true fact: Mitt Romney will somehow have managed to get through six or seven years of running for president without releasing his tax records. The records he did release all fell well after the time when Romney was running for president, so they've presumably been scrubbed clean. This is an exceptional achievement.

That means that stories like this one are as close as we'll ever get to understanding Mitt Romney's taxes. Turns out, he was funneling millions of dollars into the Netherlands, and getting millions back, tax-free:

According to an investigation by the website Follow the Money and the Dutch daily newspaper de Volkskrant, Romney has made millions of tax-free dollars through the private-equity company he established in 1994—during his pre-political days—Bain Capital.

Although Romney stepped down from Bain in 1999, he and his wife were reportedly still allowed to invest in the company until at least 2009, and were still reaping the benefits in 2010 and 2011.

And as part of his so-called “golden handshake,” the investigation says Romney got a severance deal that paid him in capital gains rather than salary, meaning the taxes he had to pay were significantly lower.

Combine that with the Bloomberg story I told you about last week—the one that said Romney was basically renting the Mormon church's tax-exempt umbrella for his own fortune—and you have a man who has successfully avoided paying the United States millions upon millions of dollars in taxes. This is the same man who says we can't afford things like FEMA and health care. Maybe if public-sector Mitt promised to hold tax cheats like private-sector Mitt to their patriotic duty, we wouldn't have so much debt right now.

Will in Seattle 1
Hey, if Apple can pay an effective tax rate of 2 percent taxes, why can't Corporations like Komrade Mitt's Klown Parade do the same, and stick it to the American Middle Class?
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on November 5, 2012 at 10:53 AM · Report this
Gay Dude for Romney 2
You're "urge to keep away" is echoing Krugman Paul. How in the world do you think affects anything in the universe if someone reads a far-fetched projection that Romney wins by a hefty margin?
Parents urge their children not to play with matches. Pundits don't urge their readers to keep away from other punditry.
Posted by Gay Dude for Romney http://mittromney.com on November 5, 2012 at 11:00 AM · Report this
@2
"How in the world do you think affects anything in the universe if ..."

Intergalactic planetary!
From the Hudson river out to the Nile
I run the Marathon to the very last mile

"Pundits don't urge their readers to keep away from other punditry."

Go to The Stranger's office and put down real money on your candidate.
I'll put down $500 on Obama.
And that is the whole point.
The "pundits" have a vested interest in portraying this as a close race.
Go on. This is an easy $500 for you to make if you're right.
What? All of a sudden you don't feel so confident?
Posted by fairly.unbalanced on November 5, 2012 at 11:13 AM · Report this
Knat 4
@2: Just think how much free time you're going to have once this gig ends tomorrow. It'll be like getting your life back!
Posted by Knat on November 5, 2012 at 11:15 AM · Report this
Gay Dude for Romney 5
@4: Once Slog-addicted, I don't think anyone ever gets their life back. :-)
Posted by Gay Dude for Romney http://mittromney.com on November 5, 2012 at 11:19 AM · Report this
reverend dr dj riz 6
@5 i've been wondering what you'll do wednesday when this is all over. what name will you become ? it's be a long moniker but how's about ' the slogger who was formerly gay dude for romney' or you could just use a symbol.. i have some ideas, but i don't think you'd like them.
Posted by reverend dr dj riz on November 5, 2012 at 11:26 AM · Report this
Gay Dude for Romney 7
@3: The only vested interest pundits should have is maintaining their integrity. That's why you see the more absurd ones like Dick Morris predict a Romney landslide with the more established (Rove, Krauthammer, Kristol, and Hume) play it more accurately and conservatively (small 'c').
If you had read my comment in @2 more closely, you would have ascertained that I don't think Romney has a good chance on winning. Hence, not I will not drive down to the Stranger's Headquarters with $500 to meet yours. I don't do things that don't make sense.
Posted by Gay Dude for Romney http://mittromney.com on November 5, 2012 at 11:35 AM · Report this
Gay Dude for Romney 8
@6: My last commentary is Wednesday (or the day we find out which might take weeks). But don't worry, I'll simply stop posting. It's been a fun and eye opening run but I have no interest in belaboring it after the election.

We accept the will of the people and move on. That's what democracy should be all about.
Posted by Gay Dude for Romney http://mittromney.com on November 5, 2012 at 11:42 AM · Report this
Dr_Awesome 9
GDFR you, like Rove, have no integrity. Often-Wrong Kristol has little integrity.

And your support of Mittens makes no sense. Also, you once replied that you would be scarce on Slog after Obama's win.

You are a joke, man. A joke.
Posted by Dr_Awesome on November 5, 2012 at 11:45 AM · Report this
Gay Dude for Romney 10
@9: You're needlessly rabid. Political opinions do not "make sense" in the opinions of their political adversaries or opposing parties - throughout the political spectrum, from every angle. Always have, always will. Thank God for that, when you really think about it.

Also, I repeated that I'd be scarce in @8, so (like fairly.unbalanced) you really need to read comments before you respond to them.
Posted by Gay Dude for Romney http://mittromney.com on November 5, 2012 at 11:58 AM · Report this
Knat 11
Wow. You state @5 you're addicted to Slog, implying you'll continue posting, then immediately say the opposite about 20 minutes later @8. You're no more reliable in your statements than your candidate.* And here I was just jabbing at you as a joke.

Though when I implied that you're an astroturfer employed by the Romney campaign, I didn't think you'd actually finally admit to it : "My last commentary is Wednesday (or the day we find out which might take weeks)." I'd commend you for your integrity in finally - if subtly - admitting it, but if you had any, you wouldn't have started doing it in the first place. Though if by "we" you meant the American public and not a larger organization, that means you're only here to regurgitate GOP bullshit, or simply troll. Again, that would mean a total lack of integrity.

* And, before you make some ridiculous Palinesque "gotcha" claim, it doesn't count if there was no trap set in the first place, even if it is valid.
Posted by Knat on November 5, 2012 at 12:24 PM · Report this
schmacky 12
hey GDFR...before you leave after Wednesday, has anyone here mentioned you should change your handle to "Gay Dude for Romnesia"?

Posted by schmacky on November 5, 2012 at 12:28 PM · Report this
very bad homo 13
Well even if Obama were to lose (unlikely), at least GDfR will disappear.
Posted by very bad homo on November 5, 2012 at 12:28 PM · Report this
Gay Dude for Romney 14
@11: There's no reason for me not to post until a victor is declared. After that, I can still enjoy Slog without posting comments.
Calm down, please.
Posted by Gay Dude for Romney http://mittromney.com on November 5, 2012 at 12:35 PM · Report this
fletc3her 15
MItt Romney is not just the beneficiary of these kinds of tax shelters. Bain Capital is one of the companies which sells tax shelters to the very rich. And at least one of Mitt's sons works on tax shelters today. I think there is a real question whether somebody who promotes tax shelters has the best interests of this country at heart.

I actually don't think there's any question, which is why I've proudly voted for Obama.
Posted by fletc3her on November 5, 2012 at 12:38 PM · Report this
NotSean 16
Oooh, I love pile on!!!

Here's a game - I'll go first:

GDFR =
Giant Douche Faces Reality

Posted by NotSean on November 5, 2012 at 1:02 PM · Report this
approachingmidnight 17
@8

You'll get paid for Wednesday too??
Posted by approachingmidnight http://www.google.com/search?q=don't+argue+with+me+buster on November 5, 2012 at 1:06 PM · Report this
venomlash 18
@7: "I don't do things that don't make sense."
hur hur hur hur
Posted by venomlash on November 5, 2012 at 1:06 PM · Report this
@7
"The only vested interest pundits should have is maintaining their integrity."

And yet you were the one defending racists and bigots.
Posted by fairly.unbalanced on November 5, 2012 at 1:27 PM · Report this
Knat 20
@14: Oh, I'm quite calm. I'm just very amused. Has anyone ever told you you're very amusing? Because you are.
Posted by Knat on November 5, 2012 at 2:52 PM · Report this
Pridge Wessea 21
@7: 1/10 - "I don't do things that don't make sense" yet voting/voted for Romney.

Also, because you're a collaborationist.
Posted by Pridge Wessea on November 5, 2012 at 3:58 PM · Report this
Gay Dude for Romney 22
I'm starting to miss you guys already... sniff sniff....
Posted by Gay Dude for Romney http://mittromney.com on November 5, 2012 at 5:59 PM · Report this
Gay Dude for Romney 23
@21: Collaborationist? Why be coy? In your myopic little world view, half the country are Nazis as far as you're concerned.
Posted by Gay Dude for Romney http://mittromney.com on November 5, 2012 at 6:30 PM · Report this
Free Lunch 24
I will miss you, Gay Dude for Romney. You've been pretty amusing as trolls go.
Posted by Free Lunch on November 5, 2012 at 7:17 PM · Report this
Dr_Awesome 25
Wow, GDFR, how do you muster the courage to keep popping your clueless little head in here?

I am not going to miss you when you are gone. Not one bit. You make all republicans look petty, stupid, and banal. I know there must be some that are not, but damned if you do your best to convince us otherwise because of your nonstop parade of silliness.

If, as some allege, your paid job is to convince us evil lefty commies of the truth and purity and rightness of the republican way, you have failed miserably and repeatedly. By association you have made all republicans look ridiculous and shrill. You should return all the money you were allegedly paid for your posts here.
Posted by Dr_Awesome on November 5, 2012 at 7:53 PM · Report this
Gay Dude for Romney 26
@25: I am truly sorry about that. All this time I didn't realize that I was upsetting your view that Slog should be an echo chamber fine-tuned to accommodate your provincial political outlook.
Posted by Gay Dude for Romney http://mittromney.com on November 5, 2012 at 9:35 PM · Report this
Gay Dude for Romney 27
@19: Don't you have anything more constructive to say to me than copying and pasting one of my sentences and closing with your ubiquitous boilerplate?
Posted by Gay Dude for Romney http://mittromney.com on November 5, 2012 at 9:41 PM · Report this
djh 28
You see what he did here.... straight up trolljitsued your asses. out of 27 comments only 2 are about the tax cheat. Hats off to you GDFR.......(slow clap)
Posted by djh on November 6, 2012 at 4:30 AM · Report this
Knat 29
@28: What, you think we still need more examples like this to be convinced Romney is a tax cheat? News items like this are not a surprise to anyone that's been following politics, especially in this election. He's rich, white, connected, a Republican, and a politician. Of course he's a tax cheat.
Posted by Knat on November 6, 2012 at 10:16 AM · Report this