Sunday, November 4, 2012

Voting in Florida, as Always, Is a Clusterfuck

Posted by on Sun, Nov 4, 2012 at 2:14 PM

The people of Florida desperately want to vote:

People are getting out to vote — but many of them are having to wait in line for three or four hours to do so. One contributor to DailyKos claimed it took 9 hours to vote. In Miami-Dade on Saturday, people who had gotten in line by 7:00 p.m. were allowed to vote; the last person wasn't checked in until 1 a.m., meaning it took some individuals six hours to cast a ballot.

But in Miami-Dade at least, the government is making it awfully hard for them:

Shortly before the temporary shutdown an hour earlier, the department had said it would not be able to accommodate more than the around 180 voters who were in line by 2 p.m. Then the office shut its doors, and people in line started shouting, “Let us vote!”

Some voters who had parked in a lot across the street saw their cars getting towed.

And Florida officials are doing their damndest to make sure early voters can vote. If they're Republican, that is:

In response, Republican-affiliated election officials in Miami-Dade have effectively extended early voting from 1PM to 5PM today by allowing “in-person” absentee voting. But this accommodation will only be available in a single location in the most Republican area of the county.

Nearly every city within 5 to 10 miles of this location — including Hialeah, Miami Springs, Sweetwater and Miami Lakes — has a substantial Republican voter registration advantage.

It's practically a tradition at this point: If elected officials in Florida weren't desperately trying to disenfranchise poor, minority, and Democratic voters, it would hardly feel like a presidential election.

Posted by sgt_doom on November 4, 2012 at 2:39 PM · Report this
Hey, you know what could solve all their problems?

ALL MAIL-IN VOTING.
Posted by MLM on November 4, 2012 at 2:50 PM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 3
Well, how the hell else are republicans supposed to get elected?

All the minorities hate them, nobody believes a word they say, and their policies shit on everyone except multi-national corporations.

They have to cheat to win. They'd come in behind the commie-nazi party if they let people play fair.
Posted by Urgutha Forka on November 4, 2012 at 3:03 PM · Report this
internet_jen 4
I think we need to make some PSA's about how easy mail in voting is.

The day I voted I was home sick form work with gallons of stuff coming out of my nose. I filled out my ballot while watching TV shows; and I was also doing laundry.
Posted by internet_jen on November 4, 2012 at 3:13 PM · Report this
NotSean 5
Yeah. I heart vote by mail.
Posted by NotSean on November 4, 2012 at 3:54 PM · Report this
Reverse Polarity 6
Ah, yes. Voter suppression is alive and well in Florida. Nothing to see here. Move along.
Posted by Reverse Polarity on November 4, 2012 at 3:54 PM · Report this
Fnarf 7
Man, I can't believe that many people were all lined up to vote for Pat Buchanan AGAIN. Uncanny.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on November 4, 2012 at 4:02 PM · Report this
Mattini 8
Add me to the voices grateful for how easy voting is in this state. It's absolutely crazy how difficult it's made elsewhere.
Posted by Mattini on November 4, 2012 at 4:07 PM · Report this
originalcinner 9
I've never voted anywhere else in the US. I've been spoiled by the ease of mail in. I only got rained on a tiny bit when I walked out to my mailbox.
Posted by originalcinner on November 4, 2012 at 4:57 PM · Report this
If all 50 states simplified presidential elections by allowing mail-in voting, the beleaguered USPS would raise $70 million dollars in the sale of stamps alone! Is there a downside?
Posted by cineaste on November 4, 2012 at 5:33 PM · Report this
Oh, and my mail-in ballot is made of paper! PAPER!!! If it ever comes down to it, actual humans can look at my actual paper ballot and clearly see the ovals I actually colored in! No trusting touch screens in need of calibration with my ballot!
Posted by Johnston on November 4, 2012 at 6:23 PM · Report this
The little town where I live has a population of about 20 thousand, and we've been processing 500-600 early voters a day. And Miami - Dade can only process 180 a day? Seriously?
Posted by Clayton on November 4, 2012 at 6:52 PM · Report this
venomlash 13
@3: Exactly.
Posted by venomlash on November 4, 2012 at 7:22 PM · Report this
You understand that in America we are nit yet all ruled by some all encompassing national or state government, much as you centralizing Democrats would like. In a smart suburban republican county makes good moves for its people while decrepit urbs flounder...that is life.
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://_ on November 4, 2012 at 8:45 PM · Report this
long-time reader 15
@14, yeah, it would be a terrible thing if everybody had the same opportunity to cast their vote. You are a true patriot.
Posted by long-time reader on November 4, 2012 at 8:58 PM · Report this
Pridge Wessea 16
@14: 1/10 - traitorous nonsense.
Posted by Pridge Wessea on November 4, 2012 at 10:46 PM · Report this
wilbur@work 17
14 are you a prison guard? live in a van down by the river? Or, just hate equal opportunity?
Posted by wilbur@work on November 4, 2012 at 10:49 PM · Report this
prompt 18
Seriously though - where's the oversight here? The courts, the feds, isn't there some kind of oversight here over the people who are clearly trying to rig the election in plain sight?
Posted by prompt on November 4, 2012 at 11:37 PM · Report this
Even when we had poll voting I never waited more than 5 minutes. Why does Florida struggle with this? Is it really willful? I can't imagine why they don't simply open more polling stations.
Posted by Timothy http://www.moreperfect.org on November 5, 2012 at 1:11 AM · Report this
@14, elections are run by the states. Is it too much to ask that every citizen in a given state have the same opportunity to exercise their constitutionally guaranteed right to vote?
Posted by Root on November 5, 2012 at 7:22 AM · Report this