Friday, November 2, 2012

Mug Shot

Posted by on Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Mug_Shot.jpg
  • Goldy | The Stranger

I got my "Have a Nice Day" mug as a Secret Santa gift from a co-worker at my first job after college. Yes, it was meant ironically. I've never been much of a morning person, and certainly less so then than I am now.

This mug has served me caffeine, and served it well, for nearly 28 years. Until this morning, when being rinsed in the bathroom sink it slipped from hands and shattered on the tiled floor.

Fare thee well, old friend. And have a nice eternity.

leek 1
This is really going to support the arguments for never cleaning coffee cups, isn't it.

Sorry for your loss.
Posted by leek on November 2, 2012 at 9:22 AM · Report this
Aurora Erratic 2
This is a very self-serving comment, but it seems like a natural time to say: do you need another mug? I know a good potter.

Just sayin.
Posted by Aurora Erratic http://www.finemesspottery.com on November 2, 2012 at 9:25 AM · Report this
Zebes 3
Any kitchenware that sticks with you long enough to be elligible to vote is a good friend.

You could always glue it together and use it to keep pencils in.
Posted by Zebes http://www.badrap.org/rescue/index.html on November 2, 2012 at 9:30 AM · Report this
Aw, that sucks. I have a favorite mug and use it for everything, hot, cold, everything. It's inimitable and ugly and I'd make a stink if I broke it. Sorry for your loss.
Posted by gloomy gus on November 2, 2012 at 9:31 AM · Report this
That is why I never wash my cup. Wipe it out at the most with a dry towel. The substantial film of dried coffee provides a protective layer to bind the delicate porcelain together.
Posted by Tom on November 2, 2012 at 9:31 AM · Report this
Look at how dirty it is on the inside. Does no one at the stranger believe in washing their mug? Gross.
Posted by matt! on November 2, 2012 at 9:41 AM · Report this
A tragedy of biblical, nay, Book of Mormon proportion. I feel your pain.

Try to have nice day anyway.
Posted by Lonesome Cowboy Burt on November 2, 2012 at 9:42 AM · Report this
@7: Probably safest to assume that everything (and everyone, God bless 'em) at the Stranger is "dirty on the inside" until proven otherwise. By Stranger standards, that mug appeared to be in mint condition!

Posted by Lonesome Cowboy Burt on November 2, 2012 at 9:56 AM · Report this
Simone 9
It's a sad morning when a mug that you've used for a long time breaks. Last week my dad broke a small mug of his that he's been using for decades. It was decorated in a medieval fantasy theme with a dragon, castle, a knight and a damsel not in distress.
Posted by Simone on November 2, 2012 at 9:58 AM · Report this
oops, that was supposed to be in response to #6; sorry, still trying to master the whole numbers thing.
Posted by Lonesome Cowboy Burt on November 2, 2012 at 9:59 AM · Report this
Hear hear!

The loss of some sentimental objects deserve a wake.
Posted by sall on November 2, 2012 at 10:08 AM · Report this
I feel your pain - last year a plastic Ronald McDonald plate that I bought at a yard sale in high school (c. 1986) broke. I'd been using that plate as my lazy dinner dish, to cover things marinating in the fridge, and as a quick cutting board for 25 years. It's stupid how bummed out I was to lose it.
Posted by genevieve on November 2, 2012 at 10:08 AM · Report this
Goldy 13
@6 Obviously somebody at The Stranger believes in washing their mugs, else this tragedy never would have happened. Let that be a lesson!
Posted by Goldy on November 2, 2012 at 10:13 AM · Report this
That's why my trusty coffee mug is actually a metal travel mug (the lid to which was lost long ago).
Posted by UNPAID COMMENTER on November 2, 2012 at 10:22 AM · Report this
TVDinner 15
First the cup, then the mustache.
Posted by TVDinner http:// on November 2, 2012 at 10:24 AM · Report this
At my first glance of this picture, it looked like a broken mug nesting on tissue paper inside a box; A white elephant gift, or in your case your next Secret Santa gift to a co-worker. It's nice to get Christmas shopping out of the way early, especially when it's effortless. Oh, and sorry for your loss.
Posted by cheap ass-bastard on November 2, 2012 at 10:31 AM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 17
That cup is to coffee what newspapers are to the digital age: Outdated. Get a nice big insulated cup with a lid. Your coffee stays hot and yummy.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on November 2, 2012 at 10:32 AM · Report this
I, too, still have a mug from college; it's one of those "name" mugs with my first name on it. My best friend (and roommate) had a matching one (with her name, of course). I doubt she still has hers, 20 years on.

If it broke, I would be sad. But somehow, I'd marshal the strength to go on.
Posted by MLM on November 2, 2012 at 10:41 AM · Report this
How do I,
Get through one morning without you?
If I had to live without you,
What kind of life would that be?
Oh, I...
I need you in my hands, need you to hold,
You're my world, my heart, my soul,
If you ever break,
Baby you would take away everything good in my life,
And tell me now
How do I live without you?
You very much matter,
How do I wake without you?
If you ever shatter,
How do I ever, ever survive?
How do I, how do I, oh how do I live?
Without you,
There'd be no sun in my sky,
There would be no love in my life,
There'd be no world left for me.
And I,
Baby I don't know what I would do,
I'd be lost if I lost you,
If you ever break,
Baby you would take away everything real in my life,
And tell me now,
How do I live without you?
I want to know,
How do I wake without you?
If you ever split,
How do I ever, ever survive?
How do I, how do I, oh how do I live?
Please tell me baby,
How do I go on?
If you ever crack,
Baby you would spill away everything,
I need you with me,
Baby don't you know that you're everything,
Good in my life?
And tell me now,
How do I live without you,
I want to know,
How do I drink without you?
If you ever go,
How do I ever, ever survive?
How do I, how do I, oh how do I live?
How do I live without you?
How do I live without you baby?
Posted by Lesser For Never Having Known Your Mug on November 2, 2012 at 11:07 AM · Report this
AmyC 20
I have a mug I am similarly attached to with a quote on it by Ayn Rand that says something about being the kind of woman that makes people get out of her way instead of asking permission. I got it when I was in college because FEMINISM and am sentimentally attached to it for that and a lot of other reasons. I used to use it at work all the time, but I put it in a drawer last year because the Republican fucktards have gotten so whacko about Ayn Rand in recent years that I think some folks in the office were getting the wrong idea about me. Sad.
Posted by AmyC on November 2, 2012 at 12:13 PM · Report this
blowdart 21
I'm tempted to drop off a Microsoft coffee mug for Goldy. Just to see if he would be photographed using it.
Posted by blowdart on November 2, 2012 at 12:36 PM · Report this
I'm sorry for your loss. I have a mug from every job I've ever had, and regardless of how I felt about the job each mug is a little piece of my history. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before one breaks, but I don't really want to think about it until I'm forced to.
Posted by Prettybetsy on November 2, 2012 at 12:46 PM · Report this
Schmapdi 23
The pieces are big - you could easily glue it back together if it means anything to you.

I have a butter dish that I superglued back together and it's held for 3+ years now, including many trips through the dishwasher.
Posted by Schmapdi on November 2, 2012 at 1:01 PM · Report this
More, I Say! 24
That mug isn't even dirty, it's just tea-stained. Y'all even KNOW how hard it is to get out tea stains on a white mug? (OK no, it's pretty easy, but you have to have an abrasive. Soap and water ain't gonna do it, and neither is a dobie sponge. Must use melamine/magic eraser.)
Posted by More, I Say! on November 5, 2012 at 12:51 PM · Report this