Friday, November 2, 2012

Here's Mitt Romney Talking Angrily About His Faith

Posted by on Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 11:13 AM

A poorer-quality video of this exchange circulated the inter-tubes way back at the beginning of this year, but now it's making the rounds again:

Plenty of people are talking about how scary it is that Romney seriously believes that pretty soon, Jesus is going to divide his time between Jerusalem and Missouri for one thousand years. (Stands to reason that Mitt Romney's lord and savior owns at least one summer home.) And that is scary. This is a man who doesn't question his faith at all. In his great speech on religion, JFK argued that he wouldn't govern as a Catholic. This Mitt Romney—the Romney who believes that he's not being recorded, who is really the only honest Mitt Romney—doesn't seem like he's able to separate his faith and his office. That's frightening stuff, when you consider the fact that he's looking forward to an apocalyptic explosion in the Middle East that will bring about Paradise.

But I'm even more surprised that Romney's anger hasn't become more of a story. One of Romney's personality traits that I don't think received enough attention during this campaign is the fact that he's kind of a rage baby. When he disagrees with someone, or if someone doesn't agree with him enough, he treats them like a doormat: Talking over them, putting words in their mouths, misrepresenting them and then telling them they're wrong. This is a man who gets his way, and if he doesn't get his way, he throws a tantrum. That's not a temperament you want to see in a president.

I love how he says "No, no, no, the doctrine says he's going to SPLIT time between Jerusalem and Missouri" like it's the most normal thing in the world.
Posted by qrq on November 2, 2012 at 11:23 AM · Report this
BREAKING NEWS

Mitt Romney endorses President Obama for four more years ! ! !

With the amazing kinds of endorsements this week for President Obama --- Gen. Powell, Gov. Christie's kind words-almost-endorsement, and Mayor "Elizabeth Warren is a socialist" Bloomberg of New York City's recent endorsement, it should come as no surprise that Obama's opponent, Gov. Romney, has now endorsed Barack Obama for the presidency in 2012 --- "...another four for President Obama," said Romney to a shocked crowd!

When questioned by reporters, Gov. Romney said: "Some months ago my Mormon magic underwear began itching like Holy Hell. At first I thought it was a bad case of crotch rot, or maybe something I'd picked up from Ann."

"But then, during the last debate, every time I agreed with the president, the itching miraculously ceased for a time. Then after it started back up, I thought, 'Why not endorse Obama...' and it stopped all together, and I realized it was celestially ordained that I endorse President Obama for four more years."

So listen to Mitt Romney's magic underwear and:

VOTE OBAMA ! ! !

[Official disclaimer: sgt_doom is an arch-supporter of Dr. Jill Stein of the Green Party, and voted for her. Were there enough people of sound mind remaining in America today, no doubt she would win the presidency, but such is unlikely to be.]

Posted by sgt_doom on November 2, 2012 at 11:29 AM · Report this
matt 3
Have a detailed conversation with deeply committed Mormons and they often will talk pretty much the same way about those details. Believe it or not, Mormons are kinda defensive about being thought of as "weird."

A girl I went to high school with is from a family of Mormon Democrats. Her father is a scholar who has spent a lot of time searching for evidence of the tribes depicted in the Book of Mormon... in Central America. With a straight face. A grown man.

He's still looking.
Posted by matt on November 2, 2012 at 11:33 AM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 4
If, as a child, you are taught these things are true by your parents, it takes a great deal of character to think maybe they were wrong. No matter how much evidence there is that they were. See The Allegory of the Cave.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on November 2, 2012 at 11:54 AM · Report this
MacBastard 5
Missouri, eh? Did J.C. get rid of Andy Williams so he could take his boffo loaves'n' fishes act to Branson? I hear his encore is so good it makes the dead rise!
Posted by MacBastard on November 2, 2012 at 11:55 AM · Report this
Josh Bis 6

In what world could someone doing a radio interview not think that he is being recorded?
Posted by Josh Bis http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Author.html?oid=3815563 on November 2, 2012 at 11:56 AM · Report this
I don't get why the low information voters keep saying they don't like Obama because he's "angry". I think "angry" must be a euphemism/dog whistle for "black".
Posted by originalcinner on November 2, 2012 at 12:18 PM · Report this
so paul, where do YOU think jesus will live?....
Posted by you evidently got way less than nothing... on November 2, 2012 at 12:22 PM · Report this
and paul, you do realize that your boy barack assures the country that he prays.

EVERYDAY.....
Posted by where does barack think jesus will live? on November 2, 2012 at 12:23 PM · Report this
really. magic underwear is bad no matter where you wear it. on your bottom or on your brain. both candidates seem to sport these pants.
Posted by Linda J on November 2, 2012 at 12:51 PM · Report this
thelyamhound 11
@8 & @9 - I have no objection to a candidate who prays, or who believes in things that cannot be proven, provided I am not to be governed by the legislation of ethics and morals unsupported by empirical demonstration of civic utility. I think--and it seems to me that Paul thinks--that the anger is the real story here.

The mocking of the guy's beliefs--however counter-intuitive and counter-factual I may find those beliefs--strikes me as unnecessary, but one could argue that all mockery is unnecessary in the particular, if absolutely indispensable in the general.

For my part, I think that Yeshua, to the limited degree that he can be shown to have existed at all, was a great philosopher, rabbi, and bodhisattva who is now dead, and won't be living anywhere ever again, except symbolically as a set of persistent cultural memes.
Posted by thelyamhound http://thebayinghound.blogspot.com on November 2, 2012 at 1:14 PM · Report this
Gurldoggie 12
4 more days and we'll never have to hear from this fucker again.
Posted by Gurldoggie http://gurldogg.blogspot.com on November 2, 2012 at 4:08 PM · Report this
NotSean 13
I recognize this cranky, defensive Romney-thing as a fellow human. He is much better than the current Republican nominee-bot.
Posted by NotSean on November 2, 2012 at 4:42 PM · Report this
Free Lunch 14
Think of the increase in Missouri property levels once God lives there. "100 acre lot with an unobstructed view of the Lord Almighty, shovel-ready: $1 billion."

I wonder how much of Missouri Romney owns. After all, it would seem like a zero-risk proposition to someone with absolute faith.
Posted by Free Lunch on November 2, 2012 at 7:30 PM · Report this
Why Missouri? And where in Missouri exactly?
Posted by gnot on November 2, 2012 at 8:41 PM · Report this
Bauhaus I 16
He is a dick and he treats people that way because he thinks he can operate under a different set of rules. He can be patronizing and unpleasant and aggressive and it's OK because - as a Mormon male - if he's doing it, it's a holy act.

Mitt Romney: Loves money, hate people.
Posted by Bauhaus I on November 2, 2012 at 8:50 PM · Report this
the idiot formerly known as kk 17
I'm even more surprised that Romney's anger hasn't become more of a story. . . .

It is a story. It's been a story for a long time. You just haven't noticed it. Dude is not a happy camper. He's obviously very angry that the 1% have to pretend to give a shit about the rest of us.
Posted by the idiot formerly known as kk on November 2, 2012 at 10:08 PM · Report this