Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Did You See the Two Referendum 74 Volunteers in the New York Times Today?

Posted by on Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 1:49 PM

ref74doorbellers.JPG

Maybe I'm a pessimist, or maybe it's the rain, or maybe it's the searing lesson from when gay marriage was on the ballot in California, or maybe it's because I was raised by people who would never vote for gay marriage, or maybe it's all of the above, but I keep thinking: Referendum 74 is not going to pass. That's my opinion, if anyone asks. The polls are just too close. The opposition's message (you can vote against gay marriage and not be anti-gay) is too clever. The probability of people lying to pollsters because they don't want to fess up to wanting to deny people rights is too great. Plus, history must be taken into account: every single goddamn time it's been put up for a popular vote somewhere, it's failed.

But man—opening the New York Times today to this gigantic image of two Referendum 74 canvassers in Seattle brightened my day. Lifted my pessimism a little. Gave me some hope! This excellent photo is by Matthew Ryan Williams and everything about it is happy-making. And not just because one of the canvassers is dressed as Max from Where the Wild Things Are and the other has a clown nose on. The late-fall light, all the different yellows, the Seattle architecture in perspective, the composition overall, the subjects marching together down a path (into the future!), the ground beneath the one guy's foot... Plus, the article points out that Referendum 74 may very well be approved here, if narrowly—in spite of my pessimism! (It's not like I've given up; in fact, I'm going canvassing tonight.) The article also points out that gay marriage is faring even better in polls in Maine than it is here, and that even a single victory at the ballot, whether here or in Maine, "will be a turning point," so says the Human Rights Campaign.

According to the caption, the two volunteers in the photo are David Wieland and Chase Nordengrem. According to a little light Googling, Wieland is a senior fellow at Washington Bus. God bless Washington Bus. And God bless everyone else who's volunteering for Referendum 74—canvassing, phone banking, donating money, all of it. Even if this thing doesn't pass, it's been amazing to see the city rally behind it. And nice costumes, guys.

very bad homo 1
The polls aren't close at all. They all have us at least 10 points up. WE GOT THIS.
Posted by very bad homo on October 31, 2012 at 2:03 PM · Report this
metardtard 2
I want to believe we got this but I won't until the votes are in.
Posted by metardtard on October 31, 2012 at 2:04 PM · Report this
Joe Szilagyi 3
Where are the latest polls?
Posted by Joe Szilagyi http://twitter.com/joeszi on October 31, 2012 at 2:20 PM · Report this
kim in portland 4
Nice. I hope this makes you smile.

Snaps from Basic Rights Oregon's phone banking for Washington: http://www.flickr.com/photos/basicrights…

BRO's Reaching Out to Washington Voters with Vancouver's Mayor Tim Leavitt: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=…

We are with you. Chin up, Christopher.
Posted by kim in portland http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/11/fast-paced_video_provides_a_fu.html on October 31, 2012 at 2:21 PM · Report this
It's good to be cautious and remain on the offensive, Christopher; but grab a handful of candy-corn and try to be half-full guy today!

It's going to pass. And even if it doesn't (which it will...deep breaths) the entire debate has fundamentally changed. The question that society is asking now is, what very good reason do we have to not allow same-sex marriage.

I'm no Fnarf, but I'm a lot older than most Sloggers. I can remember a time not that long ago when the even the most oblique mention of same-sex marriage was practically verboten in the public discourse.

It's going to get even better, Christopher.
Posted by Mr. Happy Sunshine on October 31, 2012 at 2:27 PM · Report this
Geni 6
We will pass this if, and ONLY if, King County bestirs itself to vote. If the 500-lb. gorilla of state politics has another weaksauce 30% turnout, we are fucked. On the other hand, even a 60% turnout in King County will swamp the sagebrush voters. What have each of you done today to encourage someone to get their ballot in? I'm harassing nearly everyone I know nonstop. ;-) VOTE. VOTE. VOTE, damn you!!! This one MATTERS.
Posted by Geni on October 31, 2012 at 2:48 PM · Report this
pfffter 7
I have been out canvassing every night this week and will continue all the way through the election. Central District, Madrona, North Cap Hill, Montlake. The only neighborhood I did not feel welcome in was Montlake. (Not sure what is going on with that 'hood).

Christopher, I too share your concern, and it's why I'm out there now. I want to do everything I can so I don't feel like I could've done more if we lose on Nov 6, especially if it's close. WE ARE NOT 10 POINTS UP IN THE POLLS, FOLKS! We are looking at a difference of probably less than a thousand votes.

I encourage you all who feel strongly and want to get involved to go canvass. The focus is on supporters and getting out the vote! I'm a shy miscreant by nature, but I've had my faith in people restored going around this city and talking to people. I'm really impressed with my city right now. I just hope we can do enough to win in a few days.

Don't give up! Volunteer! You can still make a difference in this race!
Posted by pfffter on October 31, 2012 at 2:50 PM · Report this
michaelp 8
While I briefly shared your pessimism regarding R-74, Frizzele, I do think there is a lot of room for hope.

Yeah, the Elway poll was not altogether great, but Stu Elway has been off for years. He's just not as good as he used to be.

Mat Baretto, on the other hand, has been getting better and better. Looking at the most recent Washington Poll, along with its "Bradley Effect" calculus, as well as other polling data, I have hope. If you remember 2009, Referendum 71 (I remember that year and that election night very well) was in a similar position, if not worse, in the polls at this time. Yet, when the votes were counted, it ended up passing 53-47.

The Approve campaign has done a great job with the TV campaign. Washington newspapers, including the Seattle Times and the Stranger have done a magnificent job getting word out on why "Approve" is the right choice (and encouraging young, apathetic voters to get off of their asses and vote).

While I won't count my shit just yet, I hope you go into Tuesday with a bit more..well, a bit more hope that this will pull through.
Posted by michaelp on October 31, 2012 at 2:57 PM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 9
I think having the president backing marriage equality will make the difference.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on October 31, 2012 at 3:03 PM · Report this
pfffter 10
lol i meant misanthrope, not miscreant! although maybe both apply at times
Posted by pfffter on October 31, 2012 at 3:10 PM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 11
I really think this is going to be one bit of good news on Tuesday when this passes next week.
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on October 31, 2012 at 4:37 PM · Report this
If it were left to the popular vote neither women or blacks would have rights.
Posted by mubhappy on October 31, 2012 at 4:39 PM · Report this
i think you are totally wrong - R74 will pass and there is no reason to worry. think of it this way - our chickenshit legislature approved it to begin with. remember those folks? they are always years behind the opinions of the electorate. so, if the majority of those folks were willing to do this, i have no doubt it will pass.
Posted by chill, peeps. on October 31, 2012 at 6:49 PM · Report this
Cephalodude 14
@7- you are awesome. <3
Posted by Cephalodude on October 31, 2012 at 8:13 PM · Report this
@7 & 10 -- were you out there tonight? I was. Man, I enjoy canvassing a lot more than phone-banking. Actual human interactions! With people who live near me! And are, generally speaking, on the right side of this issue!
Posted by Christopher Frizzelle on October 31, 2012 at 9:36 PM · Report this
pfffter 16
Yes! I might have helped train you if you left from CHAC. Canvassing is awesome. Wish I'd recognized you, would've said hi. I was in Eastlake tonight disappointing folks looking for trick or treaters as well :). See you Monday!
Posted by pfffter on October 31, 2012 at 11:15 PM · Report this