Thursday, October 25, 2012

Clarification: Elysian Brewing Company Owners Are "100 Percent" Supportive of Marriage Equality and Ref-74

Posted by on Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 3:27 PM

In this piece about straight folks going out to gay bars to talk to gay voters about gay marriage, I mentioned that one night three straight girls walked into the Elysian after hitting up all the gay bars in the neighborhood. The night was still young and the Elysian was packed, as usual. The volunteers' thinking was that there might be some folks in there who either weren't registered to vote or didn't know about Referendum 74. This was a spontaneous decision. Unlike with the gay bars, these volunteers hadn't called in advance to say they were coming. So the bartender, who looked up and saw three people with clipboards soliciting customers along the bar, asked them to do it outside.

But the wording in the article gave some people the impression that the Elysian is not as supportive of marriage equality as other establishments on Capitol Hill, which isn't true. If they had called in advance, general manager Derek Nathan says, the Elysian would have been happy to host a table where customers could register to vote and learn about Referendum 74. (It's pretty standard for a bar to be opposed to unannounced solicitors with clipboards talking to customers.) The Elysian has heard from several customers since the publication of that article asking where the Elysian stands on the issue, which is why the management asked to clear things up.

One of the owners of the Elysian, VP and founder David Buhler, told me today: "I'm going to vote for Obama. I'm voting for Inslee. I'm voting for Referendum 74. But those signs aren't on my window. They're not even on my lawn. That's not how I am... I think you can see when you look at us, we don't make bold statements outside of: Our beer is great." Asked for the company's position on Referendum 74, Buhler said, "I am 100 percent [supportive of marriage equality] and my two partners are 100 percent... Referendum 74 is overdue, and I wanted to give you my opinion."

Buhler pointed out that the Elysian is very active supporter of the community and gives to a lot of arts nonprofits ("We have a long favoritism of art and dance") and social justice organizations (like Fisher House and Capitol Hill Housing). "Hate is not allowed here. We will kick someone out," Buhler said.

He added, "Ed Murray's first campaign party was here." And he went on to say that if Referendum 74 passes, his aunt—a career army nurse—will finally be able to get married if she chooses to.

Let the record show: The Elysian is on the right side of this issue.

reverend dr dj riz 1
and they have great beer...
Posted by reverend dr dj riz on October 25, 2012 at 3:46 PM · Report this
No you don't have to wear your heart on your sleeve, or political leanings in this case. I am very happy with the way The Elysian has handled this. Kudos to them and their great beers!
Posted by BayouBoy on October 25, 2012 at 3:52 PM · Report this
But are they 100% supportive of passing a health inspection at their restaurant on Pike?

The last time they passed one was in 2008, and the last time they failed one (the 9th failed inspection in a row) was 4 months ago.

I like Men's Room but you couldn't pay me to eat there.
Posted by Swearengen on October 25, 2012 at 4:23 PM · Report this
Simone 4
I too am voting for Obama, Inslee, R74 and don't have any yard signs. That is just who I am.
Posted by Simone on October 25, 2012 at 5:12 PM · Report this
Wait, you're telling me these fine, upstanding small businessmen--nay, job creators--are voting for Obama?! What about his job-killing taxes!??!
Posted by Shane P. on October 25, 2012 at 5:14 PM · Report this
watchout5 6
If they support I-502 I'll make the next 5 years of beer Elysian
Posted by watchout5 http://www.overclockeddrama.com on October 25, 2012 at 10:18 PM · Report this
Last of the Time Lords 7
@3, Back in 2006 I got sick eating the Mac and Cheese there. But the beer is great
Posted by Last of the Time Lords on October 26, 2012 at 6:48 AM · Report this
I'm so sick of hearing about the three straight girls who have been bar crawling for R74. I was on a bar crawl with them and they were so damn ineffective. These three girls also caused drama with Purr. Please ladies, either do what you came out to do, or stop causing drama with businesses in our community who do actually support us.

Who cares if they're cute? They were too obsessed with the fact that Slog wrote about them to actually make a difference and talk to any potential voters. They're actually causing more harm than good at this point. There are so many other straight , gay, lesbian, and otherwise affiliated people volunteering their time and being effective. Get over it.
Posted by no_such_number on October 26, 2012 at 12:04 PM · Report this