Monday, October 22, 2012

And I Was Just About to Drop to One Knee and Thank God for These Eggs...

Posted by on Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 7:59 AM

USAToday:

Dropping to a knee like Tim Tebow might cost you now. The New York Jets backup quarterback has officially trademarked "Tebowing," the move in which he goes down on one knee and holds a clenched fist against his forehead while praying during games. After Tebow led the Denver Broncos to a series of fourth-quarter comeback victories last season, "Tebowing" swept the country — with actor Robert Downey Jr. even doing it at the Oscars. New York's Newsday first reported that the trademark was approved last week after paperwork was filed in April.

Jesus:

“And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you."

So Tim Tebow = Jesus?

I nailed the point you were trying to make right?
Posted by MikeDaSneak on October 22, 2012 at 8:02 AM · Report this
ArtBasketSara 2
Oh baby...I'm going to be kneeling and clenching my fist to my forehead at every opportunity I get! Which I assume will be many...
Posted by ArtBasketSara on October 22, 2012 at 8:06 AM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 3
I think the people who hold the trademark on genuflecting might have a problem with this variation on their process.
Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on October 22, 2012 at 8:09 AM · Report this
We are so fortunate as Americans to have great men like Dan Savage and Pat Robertson telling us how to be good Christians.
Posted by Peas in a Pod on October 22, 2012 at 8:13 AM · Report this
speaking of Dan Savage and Pat Robertson;

how is that baby coming, Danny?

we can't wait to see the look on Pat's face.....
Posted by we have faith that Gay Jesus can make a baby.... on October 22, 2012 at 8:14 AM · Report this
internet_jen 6
I call dibs on the confession booth patent
Posted by internet_jen on October 22, 2012 at 8:22 AM · Report this
Tebow probably figures since only Matthew mentioned it maybe Jesus didn't really care that much. Now if keeping prayer on the DL were super important, He-Man Paul would have said something.
Posted by gloomy gus on October 22, 2012 at 8:24 AM · Report this
@7, Tebow kept prayer with his whole team, not just the Defensive Line.....
Posted by Foonken2 on October 22, 2012 at 8:28 AM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 9
Clearly, god loves football. None of the rest of get millions of dollars by praying.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on October 22, 2012 at 8:38 AM · Report this
bedipped 10
1 Corinthians 9:25
Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever.

Proverbs 25:27
It is not good to eat too much honey, nor is it honorable to seek one's own honor.

Posted by bedipped on October 22, 2012 at 8:45 AM · Report this
11 Comment Pulled (Trolling) Comment Policy
Personally, it seems that the "Tebow" may be infringing on the "facepalm".
Posted by pupuguru http://www.godsweed.org on October 22, 2012 at 8:55 AM · Report this
@8, nice! I've lost that "rimshot.wav" file, dammit.
Posted by gloomy gus on October 22, 2012 at 8:57 AM · Report this
Rob in Baltimore 14
Basically he wants to sell Tebowing merchandise. Prayers are extra powerful if you can make money on them. Now we know he's praying for a Mercedes Benz.

Posted by Rob in Baltimore http://www.wishbookweb.com/ on October 22, 2012 at 9:05 AM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 15
@10 Just wait until your dead and then good things happen. Yeah, right. Just like no god at all. What a coincidence.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on October 22, 2012 at 9:06 AM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 16
Oh no. Now the troll is talking to himself. This is what we get when we cut in-house nursing service for the indigent.
Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on October 22, 2012 at 9:06 AM · Report this
Matt from Denver 17
So glad that assclown is out of my city.
Posted by Matt from Denver on October 22, 2012 at 9:11 AM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 18
I cannot believe how stupid humans are sometimes.
Posted by Urgutha Forka on October 22, 2012 at 9:33 AM · Report this
Gern Blanston 19
He's not doing a lot of Tebowing these days, standing on the sideline for the Jets.
Posted by Gern Blanston on October 22, 2012 at 10:18 AM · Report this
Gordon Werner 20
how can you get a trademark on a maneuver?
Posted by Gordon Werner on October 22, 2012 at 10:26 AM · Report this
@20,

When you get sued for publicly falling on your knees and clenching your fist to your forehead while praying, you'll find out.
Posted by Patricia Kayden on October 22, 2012 at 10:48 AM · Report this
The problem here is not Tebow, it is the trademark office. Fine if he wants to claim he owns it, but the response should be a resounding "NOT"
Posted by cab61160 on October 22, 2012 at 12:11 PM · Report this
very bad homo 23
Can I trademark banging my head against the wall? Because that's what I feel like doing right now.
Posted by very bad homo on October 22, 2012 at 12:24 PM · Report this

ooops....

evidently Project Baby Danny is a state secret.
Posted by ourlipsaresealed on October 22, 2012 at 12:43 PM · Report this
Dougsf 25
@20 - I suspect it's something what @14 said, in that he probably wants to impress that merchandise showing that particular form is legally his "likeness", i.e. the Jordan dunk silhouette.

What I don't get either is how this was accepted as trademarkable (or whatever the word is). It isn't an original pose—if it were, we wouldn't get wtf he's doing out there, put on knee down and move the had a few inches and you've got Rodin's The Thinker—and there isn't a lone image it's taken from. If you could trademark something as unspecific as a move, MC Hammer would still have money.
Posted by Dougsf on October 22, 2012 at 12:52 PM · Report this
mwdean 26
I need to step up and trademark "Teblowing" before someone else gets it, then.
Posted by mwdean on October 22, 2012 at 1:03 PM · Report this
@23 - can I get in on that with you? It's either that or the ::headdesk::
Posted by daphne24 http://www.ohiosmart.org on October 22, 2012 at 1:47 PM · Report this
Write or Wrong 28
Well done, Dan. I like how so many Christians who accuse me and people like me of being unChristian because I don't flount my religion for everyone to see forget about those words Jesus spoke.
Posted by Write or Wrong on October 22, 2012 at 3:04 PM · Report this
He's not trademarking the move (you cannot trademark a movement), he's trademarking the word "Tebowing" for use on a wide variety of tchotchkes, from souvenirs to video games (here's the listing for one of his apps: http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=d…). And while I personally find Tim Tebow utterly ridiculous, I have to say that this is a really smart move on his part.
Posted by Katwoman on October 22, 2012 at 3:45 PM · Report this