Friday, October 19, 2012

New Owner of Queen Anne Books Puts Queen Anne Books Up for Sale

Posted by on Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Back in April, Queen Anne Books was bought by a store regular named Katharine Hershey. Today, Hershey sent out this e-mail to her store's mailing list:

October 19, 2012

To the Queen Anne Book Store community:

I am writing today to let you know that I will be leaving Queen Anne Books as of the end of November. This has not been an easy or hastily made decision, and I thank all of you for your loyalty and your commitment to Queen Anne Books during the period of time that I have been a part of the store.

I would like to find a buyer for the store from among the wonderful community of people who have supported Queen Anne Books over the years. I encourage anyone who is interested to contact the store in person, by phone, or via e-mail at queenannebooks@queenannebooks.com.

I will keep you posted as more information emerges regarding the future of the store.

Katharine Hershey

I wish Queen Anne Books the best of luck; they've got some of the best booksellers in town.

Will in Seattle 1
What are these things you call books?

Are they like those fake books you see on Amazon that are just repasted Wikipedia articles on an author that purport to be a Biography but that you can buy and zero cents goes to the author that got ripped off by the German guy who "wrote" it?
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on October 19, 2012 at 11:39 AM · Report this
What they need is someone who wants to run a bookstore but doesn't actually need to make any money from it. I really don't see how you can make much of anything running such a business in such a high rent area.

I've been pretty much 100% ebook for a couple years now and more and more people seem to be doing the same. Not sure that's gonna change anytime soon.
Posted by giffy on October 19, 2012 at 11:57 AM · Report this

Bookstore flippers.

The new go broke quickly scheme.

I saw some infomercials yesterday.

Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://_ on October 19, 2012 at 12:44 PM · Report this
Almost every time I tried to go in that place it was closed. I'd love to see it partner up with the coffee shop next door and become more of a bookshop and cafe. People still like books as tactile entities and conversation starters. More should be done with that.
Posted by stating the obvious on October 19, 2012 at 12:55 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 5
@4 for the win. Let's call that place eStarbucks and charge $50 for each book.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on October 19, 2012 at 1:12 PM · Report this
I used to buy books, then I got a Kindle
Posted by Books are Dead on October 19, 2012 at 2:15 PM · Report this
orino 7
I would not be surprised if Ms. Hershey went into this thinking, "hey, it would be really cool to own a bookstore!" She then quickly discovered the realities of running a small business...
Posted by orino http://www.scootinoldskool.com on October 19, 2012 at 2:38 PM · Report this
I got a kindle last year, read a few books on it, and I'm back to real books. I just like the feel of paper books. The kindle is pretty good for travel, but I hate how you have to turn it off for takeoff and landing.
Posted by crone on October 19, 2012 at 8:11 PM · Report this
I hate ebooks! How the hell am I gonna get my favorite authors to sign my books if it's all electronic now.
Posted by UWTmommy on November 16, 2012 at 12:37 AM · Report this