Thursday, October 18, 2012

Come Fly the Friendly Skies of Abercrombie & Fitch

Posted by on Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Mitt Romney is right! Rich people need more money, because they've suffered enough. How else are they going to continue living like the CEO of Abercrombie & Fitch? Bloomberg explains:

The actors and models who worked on an Abercrombie & Fitch Co. (ANF) Gulfstream G550 jet had crystal-clear rules for serving Chief Executive Officer Michael Jeffries.

Clean-shaven males had to wear a uniform of Abercrombie polo shirts, boxer briefs, flip-flops and a “spritz” of the retailer’s cologne, according to an “Aircraft Standards” manual, disclosed in an age-discrimination lawsuit brought by a former pilot. Among the 40-plus pages of detailed instructions: black gloves had to be used when handling silverware and white gloves to lay the table, the song “Take Me Home” had to be played when passengers entered the cabin on return flights and Jeffries’s dogs — identified in the document as Ruby, Trouble and Sammy — had different seating arrangements based on which ones were traveling.

Seems totally normal to me. My only question is, do they mean the Phil Collins "Take Me Home"...

...or the Cher "Take Me Home?"

I prefer the Eddie Money classic "Take Me Home Tonight"
Posted by Faber on October 18, 2012 at 1:17 PM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 2
Screw that...could you sample the staff while flying?
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on October 18, 2012 at 1:22 PM · Report this
Wow, that queen is a plastic surgery nightmare - he looks like Joan Rivers! Who knew?
Posted by gloomy gus on October 18, 2012 at 1:26 PM · Report this
rob! 4
"Gay aging gracefully" is not a phrase applicable to Jeffries, though the acronym would serve.
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on October 18, 2012 at 1:39 PM · Report this
Gurldoggie 5
Absolutely none of the above. The clear answer is "Take Me Home" by Terror Squad. The choice for the discriminating smooth jazz gangsta wanna be.

Not to mention it clearly references the airline industry:

"I said 'Mama you can take me home if you let the whole crew get on.'"

Posted by Gurldoggie http://gurldogg.blogspot.com on October 18, 2012 at 1:47 PM · Report this
Phoebe in Wallingford 6
I don't think an airplane crew wearing flip flops is a good idea.
Posted by Phoebe in Wallingford on October 18, 2012 at 1:49 PM · Report this
COMTE 7
Hm, my first thought was John Denver's "Take Me Home (Country Road)"...
Posted by COMTE on October 18, 2012 at 1:51 PM · Report this
thatsnotright 8
@3 I agree but I'm going with Jocelyn Wildenstein as the role model. It is horrible work. Those lips! The thought of a kiss from him is shudder inducing.
Posted by thatsnotright on October 18, 2012 at 1:58 PM · Report this
Sounds like a job creator to me! Michael Jeffries for president in 2016!
Posted by ohthetrees on October 18, 2012 at 2:31 PM · Report this
Josh Bis 10
I'm still haunted by this 2006 Salon profile of him.
Posted by Josh Bis http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Author.html?oid=3815563 on October 18, 2012 at 2:55 PM · Report this
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on October 18, 2012 at 2:56 PM · Report this
MarkyMark 12
I think they mean "Voulez-vous coucher avec moi (ce soir)?"
Posted by MarkyMark on October 18, 2012 at 3:10 PM · Report this
Is anyone else surprised that the A&F models serving as cabin crew (and houseboys!) had to / got to wear shirts?

Also, as mentioned upthread, flip-flops? Really?
Posted by Warren Terra on October 18, 2012 at 3:19 PM · Report this
So are the boxer briefs (sans pants) open fly or closed fly? That would be an important issue if I were doing that job.
Posted by SeattleKim on October 18, 2012 at 3:35 PM · Report this
McGee 15
Judging by the clean-shaven males in boxer briefs, I'm going to vote Cher.
Posted by McGee on October 18, 2012 at 3:41 PM · Report this
lizlemon 16
@1 JUST LIKE RONNIE SAAAANG, BEEE MY LITTLE BABAAAAYYYY OOOOOYAAAAA
Posted by lizlemon on October 18, 2012 at 3:45 PM · Report this
Simone 17
@10, I sort of like the sound of the relaxed corporate environment. But, I wouldn't want to be told how to dress for it. If there is a relaxed dress code then let me dress the way I want to dress.
Posted by Simone on October 18, 2012 at 3:52 PM · Report this
dwightmoodyforgetsthings 18
It's gotta be Phil Collins to match the American Psycho level narcissism.
Posted by dwightmoodyforgetsthings http://www.reddit.com/r/spaceclop on October 18, 2012 at 3:56 PM · Report this
eclexia 19
I'm very upset that my career guidance councilor didn't tell me that there was a career where I could work in my underpants.

Of course, having a rich old queen trying to put his finger inside me every time I reached for a serving tray would probably get old after a few weeks.
Posted by eclexia on October 18, 2012 at 4:13 PM · Report this
Bauhaus I 20
The haunts of the very rich. Jesus, what a candy ass.
Posted by Bauhaus I on October 18, 2012 at 4:18 PM · Report this
@14: You have to get well down into the story before you find out that they DO apparently wear trousers (A&F jeans to be precise.) I don't know whether to laugh or cry at Bloomberg's lede.

(Am I the only one who thinks it would have been splendidly ironic had this story come from Forbes rather than Bloomberg?)
Posted by DonServo on October 18, 2012 at 4:21 PM · Report this
Pridge Wessea 22
@16 - I love you.
Posted by Pridge Wessea on October 18, 2012 at 4:48 PM · Report this
@10 holy crap, whatta guy he is. Those teefs!
Posted by gloomy gus on October 18, 2012 at 5:01 PM · Report this
@23: To quote my old (straight) Navy roommate: "There Is Not Enough Beer In The World...!"
Posted by DonServo on October 18, 2012 at 5:08 PM · Report this
Teslick 25
Geez, Jefferies reminds me of Eric Stolz in "Mask". Which, of course, would make Cher the obvious winner.
Posted by Teslick on October 18, 2012 at 5:47 PM · Report this
Knat 26
Wut thuh fuuuuuuck...? For a guy with clearly too much money, you'd think he could have afforded a better plastic surgeon. He looks like Gary Busey after he's walked into an open flame.
Posted by Knat on October 18, 2012 at 6:29 PM · Report this
Sign O' the Times: If Jefferies was adapted whole-cloth as a James Bond villain, I suspect a significant portion of the audience would dismiss it as unbelievable (and a portion of that portion would be actively pissed off at the horrible caricaturing of a gay man.)
Posted by DonServo on October 18, 2012 at 8:36 PM · Report this