Monday, October 15, 2012

Do White People Vote for Mitt Romney Because of Their Total Lack of Introspection?

Posted by on Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Pretty much the stoopidest headline I saw all weekend was this one: "Do black people support Obama because he's black?"

Are black people supporting Obama mainly because he's black? If race is just one factor in blacks' support of Obama, does that make them racist? Can blacks' support for Obama be compared with white voters who may favor his Republican challenger, Mitt Romney, because he's white?

These questions have long animated conservatives who are frustrated by claims that white people who oppose Obama's policies are racist.

Yeah, sure, Obama got an astounding 95 percent of the black vote in 2008. But John Kerry got 88 percent of the black vote in 2004, and Al Gore got 90 percent in 2000. So experience strongly suggests that black people overwhelmingly support Barack Obama because he's a Democrat. (Hint: it has something to do with the historical shift that took place when President Johnson made the Democrats the party of civil rights, and Richard Nixon cynically responded by pursuing a racially divisive Southern Strategy.)

Republicans are free to argue all they want about whether Democratic policies hurt or help the black community, but to kid themselves into thinking the homogeneity of the black vote has to do with anything but policy (and the rhetoric used on its behalf) is self-defeating. Kind of like believing that adding a vagina onto the ticket in 2008 could somehow close the gender gap. It didn't.

Simply asking the question about whether black people vote for Obama because he's black shows how clueless conservatives are.

The reason white voters don't vote in a block the way black voters do is not because we're less racist, but because we're more economically, socially, and ethnically diverse. Besides, the real political divide in America isn't along racial lines, but along urban/rural lines and all the suburban/exurban shades in between.

I'm pretty sure that guy at the Rmoney rally in Ohio with the " Put the 'white' back in the White House" T-shirt is voting for Rmoney because he's white.
Posted by Pol Pot on October 15, 2012 at 9:36 AM · Report this
I'm voting for Obama because he's black. That. And not bat shit crazy. So?
Posted by tkc on October 15, 2012 at 9:37 AM · Report this
In fact, I'll venture to say that ANY self described "conservative" who doesn't vote for the most successful conservative president in history, (Obama), is, by definition, a hypocritical racist fuck.
Posted by Pol Pot on October 15, 2012 at 9:39 AM · Report this
Max Solomon 4
all my relatives who are voting for romney are notable for their complete lack of introspection, so pretty much yes.
Posted by Max Solomon on October 15, 2012 at 9:52 AM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 5
Some blacks will vote for Obama because he's black. Others won't. Some will vote for Romeny because he's white. Others won't.

Conservatives are trying to say it's all-or-nothing but the truth is a lot more complicated. Probably more complicated than many voters can handle.
Posted by Urgutha Forka on October 15, 2012 at 10:02 AM · Report this
It's about portraying the white people as victims of racism.
That's all.
The Republicans can use that to motivate voters who might have otherwise skipped voting.

I am sure that there are some black voters who will vote for Obama because he is black.
But not in a racist way.
But because they believe that his experiences are similar enough to their experiences that his policies will be more in line with their goals.
Posted by fairly.unbalanced on October 15, 2012 at 10:14 AM · Report this
venomlash 7
The GOP previously thought people were voting for Obama because he was black. So what did they do? They ran Alan Keyes against him. OOPS.
Posted by venomlash on October 15, 2012 at 10:21 AM · Report this
Thank you @6.
Up until 2008 white voters always voted as a block for white presidential candidates. Just sayin...
Posted by lizardbrain on October 15, 2012 at 10:22 AM · Report this
coolio 9
I think its true that republicans do only see race and sex. And they don't care care intelligence of, or lack of in those people.
I mean there just going to be talking heads to win votes for the rich white guys anyways.
Anyone remember Palin, or Herman Cain? The fact that either of those people were even considered for any white position is insane.

I voted and will vote for Obama because he is the smartest person for the job right now.
Posted by coolio on October 15, 2012 at 10:45 AM · Report this
Forget those silly and lamer arguments and poor reframing.

Instead, simply read the following:

Posted by sgt_doom on October 15, 2012 at 10:50 AM · Report this
@10 FTW
Posted by Pol Pot on October 15, 2012 at 11:10 AM · Report this
Obama's black?
Posted by He sure "acts white" on October 15, 2012 at 11:14 AM · Report this
john t 13
I'm white, and one of the reasons why I'm voting for Obama, among many, is because he's black. Is there something wrong with that?
Posted by john t on October 15, 2012 at 12:53 PM · Report this
keshmeshi 14
Anyone who makes the mistake of reading the comments section in any daily newspaper's website knows that many Romney voters support Romney because they hate Obama for his race.

That said, most of those voters would still vote for Romney for racist reasons even if the Democrat in the race were white. Racists don't want *those people* to benefit from government largesse, and the Republicans have been playing to that mindset for at least 30 years.
Posted by keshmeshi on October 15, 2012 at 1:13 PM · Report this
People who are voting for Romney are doing so because they're stupid and/or rich. It doesn't matter what color they are.
Posted by sarah70 on October 15, 2012 at 4:17 PM · Report this
I'm a college student in a middle income area and Romney is definitely the best choice. I voted Obama in 2008 and I now realize that he has not met his promises.

Race does not matter to me. Maybe because I am from NY but this day in age I do not believe race plays that big a roll in society.
Posted by AnthonyMo on October 17, 2012 at 3:20 PM · Report this
I'm white but that doesn't play a role in who I vote for. I'm a college student and voted first time in 08 for Obama.

I am now voting for Romney because all of the reasons I voted for Obama the first time have been failed promises and I do not feel any more confident coming out of college then I would have 4 years ago.

Romney is the change America needs. This is ridiculous that this country still discriminates against race and sex, etc. Articles like this continue the idea that there is a divide and do not help the situation.
Posted by AnthonyMo on October 17, 2012 at 3:24 PM · Report this
I'm a black guy from South Carolina. I wasn't old enough to vote in the last election. I remember talking about the presidential candidates and my white teacher in a predominantly white class told me there is no way in hey that we are going to have a black president especially if his name rhymes with Osama. She never gave a reason why we shouldn't vote for him or the other candidate beside s the fact that he was black. Racism still exists even in public education.
Posted by jayt91 on October 18, 2012 at 7:39 AM · Report this
First off we have a fixed study. There hasn't been a black republican run against a white democrat. Let us reverse the situation and see if the results are the same. Second I am a lower income lesbian voting for Romney. I am not rich nor stupid. I just believe in more conversative politics. Romney is the best choice for this country. I am not saying blacks are racist. I am saying let us see if it could be possible that we were more worried about making history instead of fixing the country.
Posted by logcabinrepublican2012 on October 18, 2012 at 11:16 PM · Report this
There are a few major reasons why anyone would vote for that lying dirt bag Romney.
1. You just can't stand a black president.(Racist)
2. You're using your biblical standards against abortion.(delusion)
3. You don't believe all people should have the same rights. (gay people)

May I add your extreme right believes that getting pregnant from RAPE IS A GIFT FROM GOD! Your precious Romney is not distancing himself from that belief! WTF that is sick!!!
Posted by ReligionsEND on October 27, 2012 at 4:56 AM · Report this
@16-17 did you pay attention to why he didn't complete all his promises. "the number one goal of the republicans was to deny him a second term." not jobs, not deficit reduction which they caused. and here what we all should be scared of the supreme court that gave us citizens united put Romney in and it would effect this country for 50 years stop being short sighted
Posted by Libralthinker on October 27, 2012 at 12:30 PM · Report this
Love the social engineering comments ReligionsEND refers to. It's a great Democrat tactic -- keep everyone focused on abortion and gay rights rather than the lack of jobs and poor economic climate. It's a fantastic strategy for Obama, and it worked!
Posted by Jacob Harris on August 31, 2013 at 10:22 AM · Report this
@ 21 Did the Republicans deny him the ability to reform, or possibly even get rid of, the NSA? Pretty sure Obama campaigned mighty hard to remove the program back in 2007 citing it was unconstitutional. Can you inform me as to whether it was John Boehner who stopped Obama on that one? What about the NAFTA which Obama promised to repeal, which Slick Willie originally signed into law causing me to lose my machinist job back in the 90s?

How about a Democrat-touted jobs bill, promised to create "millions of new jobs", but will send 50 million of taxpayer money to New Zealand to conduct animal mating research? Guess we should still pass that one and waste your precious money right? Go Obama go!

The point being is that I don't understand how ANY liberal could have voted for Obama in 2012. I understand being duped the first time, but when you had a candidate like Jill Stein on the ticket it just boggles the liberal mind.
Posted by Jacob Harris on August 31, 2013 at 10:28 AM · Report this