Thursday, October 11, 2012

I'm Sure Joni Balter Will Have a Conniption Fit Any Second About the "War on Buses," Right?

Posted by on Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 11:09 AM

fuck_you_metro.jpg
Slog tipper Bobby writes: "These were posted along Delridge Way SW as Metro begins work on converting this arterial roadway to include bike and bus only lanes. The disgruntled resident had taped these 'Fuck You Metro' posts on a every No Parking sign from SW Oregon to Andover Street. There was also a sign posted on the Andover North bus stop listing the Metro Project Manager's name and e-mail address telling "parking commuters" that Metro wants to hear from them about their loss of street parking. As a bike and bus commuter, I of course like the new lane layout and see it as an improvement, but also having had my car ticketed while it was parked in front of my own house I certainly sympathize with those folks parking on North Delridge in order to hop the bus downtown."

Bus riders are being punished! Militant anti-transit activists have gone too far! Right, Joni?

I.C. Deadpeople 1
But where will I park my Hummer?
Posted by I.C. Deadpeople http://www.16ghost.com on October 11, 2012 at 11:52 AM · Report this
TVDinner 2
The sense of entitlement we have to parking spaces is insane.
Posted by TVDinner http:// on October 11, 2012 at 12:19 PM · Report this
i hate to be the one to break it to you...she's not on the editorial board anymore. sorry for your loss, dominic. maybe if you write to her personally she'll tell you.
Posted by ian on October 11, 2012 at 12:45 PM · Report this
It'll be interesting to see how this road diet works with the trucks hauling re-bar out of Nucor...
Posted by Merchant Seaman on October 11, 2012 at 12:49 PM · Report this
#2, what's "insane" is the sense of entitlement that the bicycle babies have to ride on streets they don't pay for.
Posted by Mister G on October 11, 2012 at 1:32 PM · Report this
#5 Wow, you're just gonna pull out that old and COMPLETELY UNTRUE argument now? I thought we'd gotten past that. Cyclists absolutely pay for the roads, same as motorists do.

Try Google searching sometime: Multiple studies estimate motorists pay an average of 2.3 cents p/mile in user charges (gas taxes, registration fees, and tolls), and impose 6.5 cents p/mile in road service costs. Cyclist impose road service costs averaging a miniscule 2/10ths of 1 cent per mile. The disparity between user fees and actual costs is even greater on local roads most commonly used by cyclists. So, we have a shortfall of over 4 cents per mile in user fee revenues to cover the expenses of building and maintaining our roads. The money to make up the difference comes from the general tax rolls: property, income, and sales taxes. Cyclists and motorists alike--pay these taxes, so we're all contributing to the construction and upkeep of our roads, regardless of how much or how little we use them, or how much our particular vehicle imposes in costs on the system.
Posted by silverbackbob on October 11, 2012 at 1:47 PM · Report this
Andy_Squirrel 7
@5 How many times do we need to debunk this statement on Slog?
ugh
Posted by Andy_Squirrel on October 11, 2012 at 4:06 PM · Report this
emor 8
@5

Where do I sign up for the "cyclist tax exemption?" I've been bike commuting for six years, but I've paid taxes the whole time, including the gas taxes and car tabs, the whole time. Clearly I've missed out on some big tax breaks.
Posted by emor on October 11, 2012 at 4:44 PM · Report this