Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Paul Ryan Endorses Candidate Who Claims "Some Girls Rape Easy"

Posted by on Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 10:19 PM

This is probably not the news that Paul Ryan wanted to break on the eve of the vice presidential debate:

A Wisconsin state lawmaker endorsed by Paul Ryan has come under criticism for suggesting that “some girls rape easy.” While discussing a case in which “a 17-year-old high school senior was charged with sexual assault for having sex with an underage girl in the school’s band room,” State Rep. Roger Rivard (R) told the Chetek Alert newspaper in December that his father taught him that some girls will portray a sexual encounter as rape if they become pregnant. He is now claiming that those remarks were taken out of context and has issued a statement condemning sexual violence...

This is the second candidate this year with ties to Ryan who doesn't seem to understand basic principles involving rape, consent, and female biology. I wonder how many of these statements have to come out before Republicans admit to themselves that they have a problem.

sperifera 1
The obvious question for someone at tomorrow's TH debate: "Mr. Ryan, yesterday a Republican representative from Wisconsin that you have personally endorsed came out and said 'some girls rape easy'. Mr. Ryan, do you stand behind your endorsement of Rep. Fuckwad?"
Posted by sperifera on October 10, 2012 at 10:37 PM · Report this
Knat 2
And if the GOP were not waging their jihad against women's rights, calling "rape!" wouldn't be one of the very few options young Wisconsin women have if they want to seek an abortion and not have to involve their parent(s).
Posted by Knat on October 10, 2012 at 10:40 PM · Report this
Gordon Werner 3
and yet some women will still vote for these asshats
Posted by Gordon Werner on October 10, 2012 at 10:43 PM · Report this
I'm feeling antsy about tomorrow. I know Biden's got game, 'cause I've seen it. I'm just hoping he brings it.

No dumb mistakes. That's all I'm hoping for. And sufficient preparation. I don't want Biden keeping quiet because he's not sure what to say, as happened with Obama.
Posted by floater on October 10, 2012 at 11:01 PM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 5
Republicans never admit anything unless down in the polls. And even then....
Posted by Pope Peabrain on October 11, 2012 at 2:37 AM · Report this
Tacoma Traveler 6
Some Republicans lose easy.
Posted by Tacoma Traveler on October 11, 2012 at 4:59 AM · Report this
Chetek's a nice little town. Been going there 20+ years.
Posted by Chicago Fan on October 11, 2012 at 6:41 AM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 8
I wonder how much Paul Ryan had to pay the women he no doubt raped in college to keep their mouths shut?
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on October 11, 2012 at 7:07 AM · Report this
@4 I love Joe, I really do, but I don't think we have to worry about him "keeping quiet because he's not sure what to say."

I have the utmost confidence that he'll be saying something. God only knows what, but definitely something! Go git 'im, Joe!
Posted by Brooklyn Reader on October 11, 2012 at 8:31 AM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 12
Ok, I read the original text of the interview. I'd agree that he's not condoning rape or anything, and he was simply repeating what his father told him.

Nevertheless, it's clearly misogynistic and Rivard doesn't say anything like "my father was incorrect about women's motives." It certainly doesn't paint a nice picture for Rivard.
Posted by Urgutha Forka on October 11, 2012 at 8:58 AM · Report this
Keister Button 13
I wonder if Republican women flinch, or rationalize, when these statements by their male party members are made. Maybe they pat them on the back and say "You sure told them." I wish these women would publicize their responses.
Posted by Keister Button on October 11, 2012 at 9:18 AM · Report this
In the full context it is still bad.
He's back to the old claim that a woman (or UNDER-AGED GIRL) will have consensual sex and then LIE about it and claim she was raped.

"Because all of a sudden a young lady gets pregnant and the parents are madder than a wet hen and she’s not going to say, ‘Oh, yeah, I was part of the program.’"

Why wasn't the guy wearing a condom?
Is it because the Republicans are the party opposing birth control and sex education?
Why don't Republican fathers have that discussion with their boys?
Or do they?
And this is just an easy cover up.
Posted by fairly.unbalanced on October 11, 2012 at 9:49 AM · Report this