Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Good Job, Whatshertits

Posted by on Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Yesterday was the press preview of the big fat lady art show opening tomorrow at Seattle Art Museum, called Elles. I'm writing a big fat lady art review of it and all that.

But since SAM is turning its modern and contemporary wing over to women artists through January 13, I thought the least I could do is post a work of art by a woman here on Slog every day. So every day I'm going to post something you can see locally, something that's either part of Elles, or part of the seriously one million related shows at local galleries and museums organized to coincide with the run of Elles.

If you want to shout about how you don't like quotas in comments, be my guest. I'll be too busy typing Good Job, Whatshertits posts every day to hear you.

Schmader came up with the title "Good Job, Whatshertits," and I'm in love with it. But if I hear another one that's great, I'll consider it. We also threw around a couple others. Vote! IT'S ELECTION SEASON, GIRLS.

ScrawnyKayaker 1
Choice #2 unfairly privileges painters.
Posted by ScrawnyKayaker on October 10, 2012 at 11:58 AM · Report this
MacCrocodile 2
@1 - And masturbators.

That's Nice, Can Your Husband Explain it to Me?
Women's "Art"
The Art of Hysteria

Just how condescending are we going here?
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on October 10, 2012 at 12:08 PM · Report this
I'm in love with "That's Nice, Can Your Husband Explain It To Me?"

Or "My Wife Could've Painted That" if we want to get all infantilizing.
Posted by Jen Graves on October 10, 2012 at 12:26 PM · Report this
thatsnotright 4
How about,"Not bad, for a woman"
or "Gal' ery" ?
Posted by thatsnotright on October 10, 2012 at 12:28 PM · Report this
very bad homo 5
VaginART.
Posted by very bad homo on October 10, 2012 at 12:34 PM · Report this
MacCrocodile 6
Image: Rosie the Riveter
Text: We Can Do Art!
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on October 10, 2012 at 12:43 PM · Report this
David Schmader 7
It's always best to illustrate any story on women's issues with a photograph of Dustin Hoffman as Tootsie.
Posted by David Schmader on October 10, 2012 at 12:58 PM · Report this
I can't believe anybody would vote for anything BUT Broad Strokes. What the hell is wrong with you people?
Posted by Confluence on October 10, 2012 at 9:48 PM · Report this
alpha unicorn 9
"A thinking woman sleeps with monsters." Adrienne Rich
Posted by alpha unicorn on October 11, 2012 at 10:32 AM · Report this
RebeccaBush 10
I am glad to see that you are featuring women artists on your blog, especially after your critique of the Seattle Art Museum's women's art holdings. You are going to be continuing this series until the end of time, correct?
Posted by RebeccaBush http://www.rebeccabush.com on October 24, 2012 at 4:55 PM · Report this
Diana 11
I have to admit it. Even after weeks of seeing it, I am still unreasonably annoyed by the word Whatsherthis. (Not surprisingly, I also cannot abide the franken-word NaNoWriMo.) Even though the condescencion of the series post titles is with a wink and a nod, and the intent of the series is awesome, the title is so annoying that I can't bring myself to read the articles, which I'm sure are quite wonderful. (Inevitable: "Jeez, can't you take a joke, Diana?" "Apparently not.")
Posted by Diana on December 1, 2012 at 12:47 PM · Report this