and Drunks

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Don't Let Lady Restroom Figures Touch Hands with Other Lady Restroom Figures

Posted by on Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 8:17 AM

It's bad for kids:

This is the new ad for Preserve Marriage Washington, trying to reject Referendum 74, and it's not particularly effective. At over two minutes in length, its destiny is online only, and it suffers from a couple problems. First, it takes a logical stumble—which bigots opposing gay marriage rarely balk at, but a political ad is supposed to target undecided voters—because it essentially argues that same-sex partners already enjoy all the rights of marriage as domestic partners, which is ostensibly fine for children. But if gays usurp the sacrosanct word "marriage," kids will cease to get their protection under the law. Which is it? Do gay partners already have the same rights or not? If marriage is special because it limits child rearing to a man and woman (making the case that marriage is inherently tied to procreation while gay partnerships have nothing to do with kids) it raises lots of irreconcilable clashes with real-world examples of single parents, unmarried parents, same-sex parents, etc. Which is to say that the ad threatens to make voters think. Bigotry doesn't win when people think.

Second, there are just no people in this ad. Only the restroom people. If Preserve Marriage Washington wins this fight, it will be by scaring the bejeezus out of actual humans. And restroom people just aren't that scary. I predict the "THEY'RE GONNA TEACH MY PRESCHOOL BABY 'BOUT THE GAY SECKS!" commercials will begin airing shortly, featuring actual humans and devoid of any thought.

Via Good as You and Joe. My. God.

MacCrocodile 1
Well I hope those restroom symbols at least washed their wrist stumps.
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on October 9, 2012 at 8:26 AM · Report this
Pick1 2
There are so many logical fallacies in this commercial, it should really try to avoid making people think too deeply about the subject.
Posted by Pick1 on October 9, 2012 at 8:27 AM · Report this
Even if I was a bigot and hated teh gays, this ad directly targets me as a married heterosexual who chooses to not have children. "Marriage is about more than just the needs of adults" means that according to these people, my marriage is invalid since I don't have babies. These folks say they are against redefining marriage, but in the process they are redefining it as "straight couples who have at least one baby".
Posted by derp on October 9, 2012 at 8:35 AM · Report this
It's easy to mock these ads. But remember: they work
Posted by OUTspoken on October 9, 2012 at 8:38 AM · Report this
platypusrex256 5
bring on the trolls
Posted by platypusrex256 http://platypusrex256.blogspot.com on October 9, 2012 at 8:39 AM · Report this
why is the right-hand gay person in each couple a little, um, wider, than the other? what does that mean? a question for charles? or a question for dan?
Posted by Finish Tag on October 9, 2012 at 9:00 AM · Report this
You can tell they have every confidence in their point of view by the way they block all ratings and comments like children scared of being argued with.
Posted by suddenlyorcas on October 9, 2012 at 9:23 AM · Report this
brandon 8
Does anyone know if WUM is prepared for the Doom and Gloom ads? I'm hoping they are not counting on the happy straight parents of gay kids to get them through the election. Please tell me the higher ups are prepared and focused this time unlike in CA in 2008. It's not a surprise this time. If were going down, we should at least go down fighting this time.
Posted by brandon on October 9, 2012 at 9:30 AM · Report this
Sargon Bighorn 9
Zack and WAUnited need to make a PSA showing a happy child stating that her Parents have all the rights and responsibilities of marriage and stating, "I'm happy and safe" and therefore APPROVE R 74.

And yes #3 you and your marriage are INVALID now GET OUT or start making those babies. Honest to Pete, that's what marriage is for!
Posted by Sargon Bighorn on October 9, 2012 at 9:33 AM · Report this
Helenka (also a Canuck) 10
Because non-straight marriage means that their baybeez will be stolen from them. Hey, that's the message I got. Also, that straight people don't have any attraction to or connection with each other. It's ALL about making teh baybeez.
Posted by Helenka (also a Canuck) on October 9, 2012 at 9:34 AM · Report this
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn 11
Wait.

If the government talks to my preschooler about gay sex, that means I don't have to. Suits me. It's just awkward.
Posted by Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn http://youtu.be/zu-akdyxpUc on October 9, 2012 at 10:00 AM · Report this
I'm most offended by the horrible WA map that makes the sound look GIGANTIC. Clearly they want to flood Seattle to wipe clean WA of teh gayz and libruls.
Posted by Hanoumatoi on October 9, 2012 at 10:00 AM · Report this
Bauhaus I 13
Wish I hadn't watched the ad. Depresses the shit out of me.
Posted by Bauhaus I on October 9, 2012 at 10:01 AM · Report this
I'm not going to dignify their argument with a response - because there is no need. As someone who has been making phone calls on behalf of WUM for months, they are playing into the response that I most often hear from people who want to reject the law.

If you can't trust them to get the shape of our state correct, what else are they lying about?
Posted by amiable.willow on October 9, 2012 at 10:15 AM · Report this
They eliminated the Kitsap Peninsula in their map of Washington. Do the votes of those residents not matter? Did the Kitsap Peninsula sink into Puget Sound? Or is that what will happen if gay marriage is permitted?
Posted by TJ on October 9, 2012 at 10:33 AM · Report this
very bad homo 16
UGH, I just don't get these people. They make my head hurt.
Posted by very bad homo on October 9, 2012 at 11:11 AM · Report this
Daddy Love 17
It looks less like they are trying to change hearts and minds and more like they're trying to get the base trained to know that the option they must mark is "Reject."
Posted by Daddy Love on October 9, 2012 at 11:13 AM · Report this
My take away from this ad? Adoption is bad for kids because it denies them access to their biological mother and father.
Posted by duggers on October 9, 2012 at 11:31 AM · Report this
Interesting question posed - why not eliminate "marriage" in Washington State (leave it to the churches and free market to "define" "marriage") and leave everyone - gehs, strehts, ehtc - with Civil Unions?

I would posit that "redefining marriage" /COULD/ be a principled argument among religious conservatives that isn't rooted in homophobia given that "gay couples have all the same rights" (is that true in practice?) as married couples.
Posted by fetish on October 9, 2012 at 11:51 AM · Report this
Dougsf 20
I'm confused by their map. Did the gays buy up all the land along 101 between Port Townsend and Ludlow and make a plan to Lex Luther the Kitsap Peninsula the day after R-74 passes, making them wealthy waterfront land owners— and also married?
Posted by Dougsf on October 9, 2012 at 12:51 PM · Report this
Dougsf 21
Shit, I meant Shelton, not Ludlow. JOKE RUINED.
Posted by Dougsf on October 9, 2012 at 12:52 PM · Report this
Akbar Fazil 22
Actually your joke was ruined by misspelling 'Lex Luthor'
Posted by Akbar Fazil on October 9, 2012 at 1:19 PM · Report this
Dougsf 23
@22 - Beat it, nerd!
Shit, looks like #15 had beat me too it, anyhow.
Posted by Dougsf on October 9, 2012 at 2:10 PM · Report this
Won't someone think of the children! and the grandchildren!

Also someone please teach me about the gay secks! Gay marriage is gonna turn me gay so I need to be prepared.

#these fuckwads make me angry and sad#
Posted by tabby on October 9, 2012 at 4:12 PM · Report this