Monday, October 8, 2012

Beautiful Weather Sparks Statewide Burn Ban

Posted by on Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 9:51 AM

I blackened some eggplant and bell peppers on the grill last night, which was apparently a violation of the outdoor burn ban Governor Gregoire extended yesterday to all 39 counties. The proclamation prohibits campfires, bonfires, debris fires, fireworks, etc., statewide through October 15. There is an exemption for backyard grills, but...

Liquid fueled or gas-fueled stoves are permitted provided that use is conducted over a non-flammable surface and is at least five feet from flammable vegetation. Charcoal grills are permitted at private residences under the same conditions.

My grill is currently nestled in a foot-high stand of dead grass—one stray spark and the whole city burns! Better get out the weed wacker before I light it up again.

disintegrator 1
This weather really does weird me out.
Posted by disintegrator on October 8, 2012 at 9:59 AM · Report this
Matt from Denver 2
Grass? You have GRASS? Don't you know that grass lawns are proof that you're an anti-density suburbanite at heart? Why don't you move to Gig Harbor already?
Posted by Matt from Denver on October 8, 2012 at 10:00 AM · Report this
Gern Blanston 3
At least it's supposed to rain all weekend starting Friday. I hope the forecasters are right about this. I can't remember ever anticipating rain this much.
Posted by Gern Blanston on October 8, 2012 at 10:17 AM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 4
Is it still beautiful since a nice chunk of Washington state is up in flames...still?

Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on October 8, 2012 at 10:22 AM · Report this
Goldy 5
@4 The smoke makes for especially beautiful sunsets and sunrises.
Posted by Goldy on October 8, 2012 at 10:36 AM · Report this
Zebes 6
So much government regulation. I can't wait until we can replace Gregoire with McKenna and then get to burn whatever we want, wherever we want, whenever we want!

U! S! A!
U! S! A!
Posted by Zebes http://www.badrap.org/rescue/index.html on October 8, 2012 at 10:41 AM · Report this
Simone 7
The sunrises and sunsets have been wonderful.
Posted by Simone on October 8, 2012 at 10:51 AM · Report this
Theodore Gorath 8
But where is Mister G warning us about the Washington secret vegetable police, and the dangers of too much Kool-Aid consumption?
Posted by Theodore Gorath on October 8, 2012 at 11:03 AM · Report this
Sir Vic 9
@4 & @7 Respiratory issues in a time/place you wouldn't normally expect, not so wonderful.
Posted by Sir Vic on October 8, 2012 at 11:32 AM · Report this
What do you think the Seattle Times article would look like if Goldy literally burned Seattle to the ground?
Posted by Swearengen on October 8, 2012 at 11:43 AM · Report this
I don't get it, Goldy.

It's been over 3 months since anyone needed to mow a lawn in this city, and we know you've been doing yard work all the while, thanks to your online bragging about your vegetable patch.

What gives? Is the walk from the garden to the grill too long? Have you misplaced your yard waste bin? Do you only do chores when you can blog about them?
Posted by robotslave on October 8, 2012 at 12:19 PM · Report this
Goldy 12
@11 The charger to my decade-old battery powered mower shorted out in a basement flood over the winter, and I haven't gotten around to buying a new mower. A neighbor's kid mowed my front a few times, but the back, which is mostly garden and dog running area, was only tended to with some haphazard weed whacking. I suppose with the rains coming, I need to get a new mower, but I can't bring myself to paying the expense of cordless electric, or the dealing with the hassle of a cord. And I'm not keen on going back to gas.

Decisions.
Posted by Goldy on October 8, 2012 at 1:56 PM · Report this
Matt from Denver 13
@ 12, cords are no hassle unless you're the one making a hassle out of them. Mind over matter.

Anyway, this is hilarious. YOU are the one who was Mr. Tsk Tsk on the subject of lawns some time in the past. You took your kids to the park, you said, or else let them play in the garden. But now you admit to having enough grass to need a lawnmower. This is like Dan being pro-density while living in a single-family house.
Posted by Matt from Denver on October 8, 2012 at 2:13 PM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 14
@13, living pro-density is for the poor folk Matt, not for TV celebs.
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on October 8, 2012 at 3:11 PM · Report this
tainte 15
what the fuck is wrong with seattlites that they can't enjoy some good weather? jesus titty fucking christ, ya idiots...the rain will come. until then, here's a thought....ENJOY THE SUN.
Posted by tainte on October 8, 2012 at 5:41 PM · Report this