Friday, October 5, 2012

Ed Murray on Gay Marriage: "I'm very concerned that this thing is going to lose."

Posted by on Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 12:42 PM

If this thing tanks, I own it.
  • Worried about nursing an orphan on his rainbowed teat.
Seattle's premier gay*, Senator Ed Murray, was in our office this morning talking shop on R-74, the referendum to approve gay marriage in Washington, and his message was fucking bleak: "I’m very concerned that this thing is going to lose," he said. "I’m not seeing the level of movement in the polls that we should see."

The problem, Murray says, is that during this same time frame in 2008, California's Proposition 8 was humming along in California, way up in both the polls and in donations. "We saw them up by 11 points in California and invariably lose by 8 points," Murray says, once national anti-gay marriage donations started steamrolling in, in late October. The late-game donations were used to saturate media with gay marriage fear mongering—including talking points about teaching kids about gay sex in schools.

And while we've got money, Washington's not where California was in the polls—we're hovering around 51 percent approval, according to a recent Elway poll. "And I can’t believe that the far right, nationally, isn’t going to put money into Washington State," says Murray. And if we see that huge 11th-hour push of anti-gay donations that liberals are bracing for, we're basically toast.

"Given the level of importance of this, there should be more people doing more—volunteering, donating," Murray says. "I hope everyone who cares about this issue gives something.

"Failure is an orphan and success has a thousand parents," said Murray, who's built his 17-year career on fighting for gay rights, most recently by successfully passing gay marriage in the state legislature earlier this year. "If this thing tanks, I own it. It's my orphan."

To volunteer your time or wads of cash, GO HERE.

*SORRY, DAN.

bgk 1
Hi Ed, I'm right with you, volunteering weekly! We can do it.
Posted by bgk on October 5, 2012 at 1:09 PM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 2
The time and money needs to be spent on the other side of the Cascades. THEY need to preaching to so to speak.
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on October 5, 2012 at 1:24 PM · Report this
I just gave some money because of this article. If this doesn't pass in our blue, blue state, I shall be exceedingly bummed out.
Posted by bareboards on October 5, 2012 at 1:47 PM · Report this
Sargon Bighorn 4
The message of "Marriage for all" is very very benign when compared with "Teaching your child about Homosexual behavior" or "Not being able to live your faith". The issue won't be lost due to lack of money, volunteers, nor desire. It will be lost due to the anti-equality side having a far more inflammatory message; filled with lies and horror stories. But Gay folk tend to take the moral high road which is a good thing, speaking the truth and hoping to change some hearts and minds. It's not often a winning strategy however. Fear on the other hand is a far more potent motivator.
Posted by Sargon Bighorn on October 5, 2012 at 1:58 PM · Report this
Gern Blanston 6
I haven't seen any anti 74 TV ads so far, which seems rather strange. I guess they're saving them for the day that ballots are mailed out.
Posted by Gern Blanston on October 5, 2012 at 2:10 PM · Report this
Turn out! Turn out! Turn out! (or mail in! mail in! mail in!)

Prop 8 failed because too many liberals, including predominantly gay zip codes, didn't bother going to the polls after the presidency was called for Obama. We have mail in ballots so there's no excuse.
Posted by SoSea Resident on October 5, 2012 at 3:20 PM · Report this
He has to say it's in doubt, to encourage voters to come out. If he says it's in the bag, he and others fear the voters on his side will stay home.
Posted by Gomez http://misterstevengomez.com on October 5, 2012 at 3:36 PM · Report this
I think Murray needs to buck up. I'm with the No on1240 campaign against charter schools (the only one polling less than 50%). Our campaign is facing the tsunami of ads that will come from the mega-deep pockets of Bill Gates&Company. Am I worried? Not really.

Folks, whether it is gay marriage or charter schools, time and the truth is on our side. These people can come into our state with their big bucks and try to drown us in commercials but think to yourself - most people have VCR or DVR and are going to skip them.

Most people think ads are stupid anyway and fear-mongering is a bad way to go in a smart state like ours.

NO ONE should take anything for granted but I have faith in the voters of Washington State to do the right thing. Yes on R74 and No on 1240.
Posted by westello on October 5, 2012 at 5:27 PM · Report this
Baconcat 10
I am no longer going to waste cash on R-74 and am redirecting the cash to Maine and Maryland.

We are up 15 points per SurveyUSA today which had us below 50% at this point with R-71 and definitely outperforming No on 8, but if our strongest advocate is sure we are going to lose and this narrative has been consistent in every loss I'm taking him at face value.

It was a nice run while it lasted.
Posted by Baconcat on October 5, 2012 at 5:32 PM · Report this
Simply Me 11
This campaign should have been run by a gay person from the very beginning. No offense Zach Silk, but you did not know our community when you took this on. You wasted months learning what some of us have known for years, you ostracized leaders in this community who should have been embraced, and you are falling into the same trap every other marriage campaign in this country has lost themselves in.

There are no gay people speaking for themselves in advertising. We won in 2009 because every ad featured a gay story told by gay people.

It may not be too late to win this, but you need to ignore the so-called experts from out-of-state, and change your strategy now.

Repeat what we did in 2009 and you will win. Follow the advice from people who have never won a statewide race that expanded the rights of gays and lesbians, and you will lose.
Posted by Simply Me on October 5, 2012 at 5:40 PM · Report this
Bauhaus I 12
This is what happens when you put civil right up for a vote. You gotta stop doing that.
Posted by Bauhaus I on October 5, 2012 at 5:53 PM · Report this
Sargon Bighorn 13
WESTELLO you silly drooling cute little button you. It's NOT yes/No on Ref74. See how ill informed you are. It's APPROVE R74. Now YOU know why Ed is touchy, folks like you DON'T know the process, I hope you understand the issue. Vote APPROVE on R74.
Posted by Sargon Bighorn on October 5, 2012 at 5:55 PM · Report this
I don't know the internecine politics involving Zach Silk and the gay political community, but as a straight guy, I agree wholeheartedly that it's past time to show some real gay people in the ads.

Nothing wrong with showing persuasive straight people who support the referendum, but when those straight people are all telling the stories of other, hidden, gay couples, it gets a little nauseating. Where the gay couples at?
Posted by madcap on October 5, 2012 at 10:00 PM · Report this