Thursday, October 4, 2012

Lots of Rocks on Mars

Posted by on Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Rob McKenna didn't write this.

694112main_Watkins-2-pia16204-43_1024-768.jpeg
  • NASA

Everyone of my generation knows who Carl Sagan was. Shortly before his death in 1996 Mr. Sagan left a message for the future explorers of Mars and the current success of NASA's Curiosity rover had me thinking about Mr. Sagan.

Only a few of my closest friends know that I once met Carl Sagan. I walked into the restaurant of the Space Needle one evening in spring and there Mr. Sagan was having dinner with his family. Mr. Sagan was not looking well—I heard he had just received a bone-marrow transplant at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center—but I couldn't resist the urge to say hello. I walked up to Mr. Cosmos, introduced myself, and thanked him for educating a generation of Americans about the importance of science and the limitless opportunities in space. He stood up, shook my hand, and said something that I will never forget. He asked if I knew how to make an apple pie from scratch. I told him that I didn't do the baking in my family and then introduce my wife, Marilyn. He then said, a little dreamily, "To make an apple pie from scratch first you must invent the universe."

We thanked him for his time and excused ourselves. If only he were still with us and could see the amazing photographs coming back from Curiosity.

Karlheinz Arschbomber 1
Bilious and bilious.
Posted by Karlheinz Arschbomber http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arschbombe on October 4, 2012 at 12:45 PM · Report this
Gotta go with Charles on this one. Though it could be the subject matter more than the style that persuades me.
Posted by stating the obvious on October 4, 2012 at 12:49 PM · Report this
GhostDog 3
...I would be willing to bet you $10 that you not only met Carl Sagan, but you met a stoned Carl Sagan. I am super, super jealous.
Posted by GhostDog on October 4, 2012 at 12:58 PM · Report this
BostonFontSnob 4
@2 I has the whole cryptic faux-profundity thing going, and reading it made me want to strangle myself, so it's definitely Charles.
Posted by BostonFontSnob on October 4, 2012 at 1:08 PM · Report this
Carl Sagan said that in his book and his TV show as well.
Posted by Lark Hawk on October 4, 2012 at 1:11 PM · Report this
Theodore Gorath 6
I think it is great that even though it is fake Rob McKenna day, Charles still could not resist posting about rocks on mars.

But c'mon, everyone knows he said that in Cosmos . My favorite section too: the life and death of the stars.
Posted by Theodore Gorath on October 4, 2012 at 1:29 PM · Report this
MarkyMark 7
Photo reminds me of Chuck Norris.
Posted by MarkyMark on October 4, 2012 at 5:01 PM · Report this