and Drunks

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

TV News Reporter Force-Feeds Trolls a Heaping Helping of SHUTCHERFUCKINGFACE

Posted by on Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Thanks for the heads-up, Lindy West.

Puckerd Poop Chute 1
So freaking AWESOME!!!!!
Posted by Puckerd Poop Chute on October 2, 2012 at 11:10 AM · Report this
she should be happy to get a letter from dan savage. plus you izz phat n all dat B.
Posted by Randy Beaver on October 2, 2012 at 11:12 AM · Report this
gttim 3
Nice!
Posted by gttim on October 2, 2012 at 11:13 AM · Report this
blip 4
Public displays of obesity are killing our children! Why does this lady hate children?
Posted by blip on October 2, 2012 at 11:20 AM · Report this
That's badass, baby.
Posted by Hannah in Portland on October 2, 2012 at 11:22 AM · Report this
It's too bad she says sexual "preference" instead of "orientation" at the end. But it's a great, brave piece. Well done. Dan would wonder about her muffin top.
Posted by David from Chicago on October 2, 2012 at 11:33 AM · Report this
very bad homo 7
I'd love to see a picture of the letter writer. I'm sure he's total perfection.
Posted by very bad homo on October 2, 2012 at 11:34 AM · Report this
Brava. Bravissima. (I'm still going to laugh when Stephen Colbert quips that Chris Christie qualifies as Hispanic because he is at least 50% nacho, but that's because Christie's a dick, not because he's fat.)
Posted by PCM on October 2, 2012 at 12:15 PM · Report this
rob! 9
Good for her and all the kids who are buoyed by her words, and it's great that her station management seems to be standing behind her.

But let's hope that she's still there in front of the cameras, if that's what she wants, in two years or five years or whatever, because TV news is such a bastion of Barbie and Ken clones. Whether it's facial proportions or weight or age that is the basis for judgment, even the most talented reporters usually get the ax long before they should.

Deviations from the established norm are tolerated and even celebrated if they are perceived to be caused by disease or disaster, as was the case with the warm and wonderful Kathi Goertzen (Bree Walker is another example). But woe is you if people think you've failed to exercise sufficient self-restraint or to endure sufficient cosmetic surgery.

Maybe it would be better if CGI replaced all the flesh-and-blood onscreen personalities with the idealized faces we seem to prefer, returning the emphasis to brilliant writing and shoe-leather fact collecting.

Also, long live public radio.
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on October 2, 2012 at 12:53 PM · Report this
Fun Fact: Jennifer Livingston is actor Ron Livingston's (Office Space, Band of Brothers, etc) sister.

That is all.

Posted by tkc on October 2, 2012 at 1:05 PM · Report this
More, I Say! 11
@10 cool family! I love me some Ron Livingston.
Posted by More, I Say! on October 2, 2012 at 2:29 PM · Report this
Handled with class & poise. Well-done, ma'am.
Posted by Nitidiuscula on October 2, 2012 at 4:20 PM · Report this
TreGibbs 13
I am in love with this woman, find her incredibly attractive and sexy. This is a REAL woman. Right-FUCKING-on !!!!
Posted by TreGibbs on October 2, 2012 at 9:39 PM · Report this
marymc 14
I do like this, really I do. What I would like even more is if she'd said "Yes, I'm fat...what's your point? You know nothing about my health or my life off-camera, so don't make assumptions. You do know that I am a confident, articulate, well-educated, successful woman--you could get that from even your brief look at my work. And you're saying that I'm not a good role model for children? Bullshit."
Posted by marymc on October 3, 2012 at 5:18 AM · Report this