Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Free Pussy!

Posted by on Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Hi, my name is Dora. And you can love me for free!
  • Regional Animal Services of King County
  • Hi, my name is Dora. And you can love me for free!

Through October 31, Regional Animal Services of King County (RASKC)—you know, the pound—is offering no-fee pet adoptions on all cats six months of age and older. "You can't put a price on love," said RASKC Manager Dr. Gene Mueller in a news release.

Well, actually you can put a price on love. The normal fee for adult cat adoptions is $55, but will be waived through the end of the month. The adoption fee for kittens younger than six months will remain at $100. All cats and kittens are spayed or neutered, microchipped, vaccinated, and have tested negative for feline leukemia, so it's a pretty good deal.

RASKC is hoping to place 200 cats and kittens into new homes by the end of October.

notaboomer 1
why does the pound hate songbirds?
Posted by notaboomer on October 2, 2012 at 2:38 PM · Report this
TVDinner 2
Cats: we need them to fuel the Internet. Do your part and adopt one or two.

Pro tip: two keep themselves entertained and less inclined to stick their ass in your face.

Super expert pro tip: I'm full of shit. Toxoplasmosis has overtaken my brain.
Posted by TVDinner http:// on October 2, 2012 at 2:47 PM · Report this
two are much easier than one. and not that much more expensive (especially with this smokin' deal). a male and a female are good, or two males. If you're getting two females, make sure they know each other already.
Posted by Finish Tag on October 2, 2012 at 3:02 PM · Report this
@1 Keep your songbirds outside. Keep your cat(s) inside. Problem solved.

@2 Tip 2 is only partially successful. They do entertain each other, by sticking BOTH of their butts in your face.
Posted by Lonesome Cowboy Burt on October 2, 2012 at 3:04 PM · Report this
wingedkat 5
Dora is so cute! If I could care for another cat (I can't) I'd be on my way to meet her.
Posted by wingedkat on October 2, 2012 at 3:21 PM · Report this
internet_jen 6
Catvertising! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkOQw96cf…

I can't find the XKCD strip where it describes all parties end with people showing each other pictures of their cats on their cell phones. But that is basically my life.

Posted by internet_jen on October 2, 2012 at 3:31 PM · Report this
biffp 7
@1, I loved Freedom too, despite Paul Constant's uber jealousy of jonathan franzen. My stray cat only catches rats, but there seem to be enough for one a week in Green Lake.
Posted by biffp on October 2, 2012 at 3:56 PM · Report this
rob! 8
Sweet, Goldy. Thank you.
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on October 2, 2012 at 4:07 PM · Report this
skjaere 9
Aw, man! I wish I could. We've already got two rescued kitties who barely tolerate each other. I'm not sure our small apartment could handle a third.
Posted by skjaere on October 2, 2012 at 4:09 PM · Report this
Want to pet the kitty
Posted by Reader01 on October 2, 2012 at 4:59 PM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 11
Dora IS really cute but cat Lavinia is up in my face so I can't type.

And don't just focus on the cute kittens...the older cats need homes and are always passed up at these events. Keep in mind a full grown cat are usually potty trained and aren't up all hours of the night. Most importantly, older cats may never get another chance for a forever home.
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on October 2, 2012 at 5:35 PM · Report this
I want more cats! Damn you lease.
Posted by wxPDX on October 2, 2012 at 7:09 PM · Report this
Hernandez 13
I can vouch for the awesomeness of welcoming an older cat into your home. We got our second cat at the tender young age of 9, and it's been wonderful. Not only potty trained and socialized, but comes when you call his name and has been a mellowing influence on our other (much younger) cat.

Posted by Hernandez http://hernandezlist.blogspot.com on October 2, 2012 at 7:22 PM · Report this
@11: That's why the "cats" (older than 6 months) are free, but the "kittens" (younger than 6 months) aren't. Plus, KC doesn't euthanize adoptables.
Posted by Free cats! on October 2, 2012 at 7:49 PM · Report this