Monday, October 1, 2012

Marcus Charles, Owner of The Crocodile, Explains His Backing of Rob McKenna and the "Progressive Conservative Coalition"

Posted by on Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 6:00 AM

Spotted on Capitol Hill last week, and paid for by The Progressive Conservative Coalition PAC Sponsored by Marcus Charles.
  • Toby Crittenden
  • Spotted on Capitol Hill last week, and paid for by Marcus Charles's "Progressive Conservative Coalition PAC."

When posters like the above went up on Capitol Hill last week, I tracked down the man behind them. He's Marcus Charles, owner of The Crocodile and other Seattle establishments, and here's what he had to say about why he's trying to get Seattle voters to split their tickets between Democrat Barack Obama, Republican Rob McKenna, and approval of gay-marriage-legalizing R-74.

Eli Sanders: Why are you doing this?

Marcus Charles: I decided to start the PAC a while back when I was watching the coverage in Wisconsin. I saw this image of a woman dressed entirely in blue with her face painted yelling at a man dressed entirely in red (also with his face painted)—he was yelling back at her. They both were holding signs with various divisive partisan slogans on them. They were not listening to each other. They might as well have been two ships passing in the night.

I felt really sad, because this is snapshot of America. And, not knowing either of these people personally I couldn’t help but feel that more than likely they were both so upset for the same reason—“They were not getting their needs met” and the “other side was to blame.”

I suspect that if those two people would have actually spoken to each other, they probably would have learned they had more in common than they actually realized and that their end goals are probably not far off from each other.

So I started a PAC to support people, skills sets, and political realities, as well as Ideas.

ES: But why, exactly, are you supporting Rob McKenna over Jay Inslee for governor? As you probably know, McKenna opposes same-sex marriage (which your poster says you support). McKenna also tried to take apart the landmark healthcare reform law achieved by President Obama (whom your poster also says you support). How do you get around the criticism that your poster is ideologically nonsensical? And what, specifically, is it about Rob McKenna that makes you back him despite his stances on same-sex marriage and health care reform? Also: Are you concerned that your political leanings may conflict with the political leanings of a lot of your customers?

MC: Let me start off by saying that I hope you don’t miss the fact that I also support Obama and R-74. I think ideological purity is not possible no matter what party you are associated with and that ideological purity at all costs is what is hurting our democracy, and is what ultimately could destroy the Republic. All of us need make decisions on issues and candidates based on much more than party affiliation and that is what my effort is all about.

If people automatically dismiss or vilify me even though we probably agree much more than we disagree, that exertion only makes all of us weaker. If it is not possible to respectfully disagree about the outcome of two very different people, vying for the same job, we have all lost the point of what democracy is all about.

Overall, I’d like to say that I don’t believe that I’m ideologically nonsensical. This race is not between two extreme ideologies, one right, one wrong, one conservative, one liberal. This race is between two individuals who have different skill sets, different personal religious beliefs, different views on what makes good law and statute, and how they will go about governing.

Before I get into why I’m supporting Rob McKenna, I’d like to give you broad insights on my political leanings, so that if people want to really get to know me, they actually know what I believe in.

* I’m way more progressive than I am conservative.

* I think education should be fully funded for all Americans through post-high school levels whether that be at university or technical school, because an educated republic is a republic that will continue and prosper. And if you want to go to private school, that is your choice and your finical commitment.

* I believe in single payer universal health care for all Americans through Medicaid or some other national agency, because it will allow us as a nation to better compete with Germany, Japan, Canada, the UK, and other industrialized nations who provide this benefit for their citizens. And, if you want to go to private doctor that is your choice and your finical commitment.

* I believe in choice and also support adoption. I’ve been a part of both.

* I believe you should be able to marry whomever you want because what you do in the bedroom is no one else's business and everyone has the right to choose who should be in their family.

* I believe you should buy products from your neighbor when at all possible and that a way to a better globe is through our local communities.

* I think we should have flat taxes over the poverty level and that everyone should pay their share of the bar tab.

* I think the sales tax is a flawed and regressive taxing mechanisms.

* I think marijuana should be legalized as well as many other drugs for people over 21 years old.

* I think the age of enlistment should be increased to 21 so that young people have made an educated choice to enter the military.

* I think everyone has the right to their opinion and their political opinions don't make them morally “right or wrong” human beings.

* I have financially supported Constantine, McGinn, Holmes, Carlyle, Rasmussen, Burgess, Litzow and Habib just to name a few.

* I can guarantee Obama, McKenna or Inslee don’t agree with me on all of my political leanings.

The governor's race is between Rob McKenna and Jay Inslee. I’ve met both and had an opportunity to listen to their subsequent stump speeches many times. At the end of the day I decided that Rob has the better skill set to be Governor and has the best chance to work both parties to get real reform for WA state. This is one also of the reasons why I’m supporting Obama. Obama has the best skill set to be president, hands down. The United States of America is a republic, not a large multinational company. We need a leader and a public administrator, not a former CEO, to lead this nation.

Four years ago (and just until a few months ago) Obama and McKenna had the same position on gay marriage, which I disagreed with. That did not stop me from voting for Obama four years ago.

Four years ago, Obama said he was not for private health insurance and would only support single payer (which I supported and still support as a capitalist). He changed his mind (chickened out) and flip flopped to mandated private insurance. I disagree with him on this point, yet it is not stopping me from voting for him this time.

Inslee strongly disagrees with many people who support him on legalized marijuana. I don’t think those people are just going to not support Jay because they have a different view than him on this very important issue.

McKenna and I are both Catholics. I’m more of the cafeteria variety. Our religious beliefs do differ on choice and marriage. However, we both believe that gay marriage will ultimately be decided by the voters. Abortion law in our state was established by a vote of the people, as I believe and hope gay marriage will be when R-74 is approved this November. McKenna is on record saying he will support the will of the people on this issue. This was the first question I asked him when I met with him over a year ago. Over his term as Attorney General, he has supported our state laws on choice and abortion and has not tried to impose his personal religious believes on our State.

For me, in this race, knowing that R-74 was going to be decided at the ballet box and health care was already decided by the Supreme Court, there were two overriding factors. Who has the skill set to best administer the state government? And who could actually work with both sides of the isle in this very divided state on issues like education reform?

If I had to pick one issue that McKenna or Inslee actually has the power to impact as governor that is most important to me, that issue would be education. There are a good number of very progressive education organizations that support McKenna over Inslee, and I think that is more important than any other divisive issues that neither McKenna nor Inslee will actually have any impact on.

Like I said, this election is between Rob McKenna and Jay Inslee and we have to judge and decide between these two candidates. If Dow Constantine would have run for governor, we would not be having this conversation because I would have been behind him with this same effort. And, I’m not alone in this. There is group of progressive Democrats who have come out publicly supporting McKenna. And, an even larger group who are not energized by Inslee candidacy and are looking at other options.

(More in this week's Stranger.)

Cato the Younger Younger 1
Interesting,mindless but interesting
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on October 1, 2012 at 6:53 AM · Report this
Eli, I adore you and love your writing but I stopped reading this before the end because of all the typos. "Ballet box"? "Finical"? (that one twice!). If these were written responses, then use [sic]. Or use grammar & spell check. It takes 2 minutes.
Posted by I hate the look of typos in the morning on October 1, 2012 at 7:01 AM · Report this

* I think the sales tax is a flawed and regressive taxing mechanisms.

How does Marcus Charles reconcile the above statements?

The sales tax is the ultimate flat tax - everyone who buys a retail product pays the exact same tax on that purchase. How can someone complain about "flawed and regressive taxing mechanisms" and then espouse a flat tax - even if you include an exemption for those below the poverty level?

Maybe Marcus Charles doesn't realize he already lives in the 'flat tax' state he thinks he'd prefer - everyone in WA pays the same property tax rate regardless of the value of their house, the same sales tax within a jurisdiction, the same for car tabs regardless of the value of their car, etc. I don't think we have a single progressive tax in this state.
Posted by SuperSteve on October 1, 2012 at 7:02 AM · Report this
Big Sven 4
So it's about... education? Really?

In the same way that Paul Ryan won't talk about how he'll cut taxes but balance the budget, so too McKenna wants to grow primary ed funding but hasn't a clue where he'll find the money. When pressed, he suggests "streamlining" teacher health plans. Uh huh. It will save "tens of millions of dollars," which is like 1% of what they would need to get from 40% to 50% of general expenditures.

Meanwhile Inslee would implement fundamental health care reform and put the savings into education.

Umm, no, there's one ed organization supporting McKenna, Stand for Children, in in no fever dream could it be described as "progressive." Simply put, McKenna has adopted Stand's very, very anti-union vision of ed reform. Even the League of Education Voters, no friend to the teachers' unions, has declined to support McKenna.
There is group of progressive democrats that have come out publicly supporting McKenna.

Bullshit. Here's McKenna's list of Dems: Jim Boldt, Thi Huynh, Paul Carkeek, Marie Mentor, Ron Chow, Tim Sheldon, Mark Doumit, Kirke Sievers, Maggi Fimia, Morrie Trautman, Larry Finegold, Judy Yu. See anyone in there you'd call progressive? No? Me neither. To quote the Seattle Times:
Sonntag, along with McKenna, endorsed Susan Hutchison in the King County executive race won by Dow Constantine. Sheldon is a conservative Democrat who often votes with Republicans in Olympia. Fimia joined with McKenna to oppose the Sound Transit light rail project when they were both on the council. Doumit is executive director of the Washington Forest Protection Association, which represents forest landowners and timber companies in the state.
More...
Posted by Big Sven http://onedatapoint.blogspot.com/ on October 1, 2012 at 7:03 AM · Report this
Give this "small business owner" a few more years and he'll be voting a straight GOP ticket.
Posted by tiktok on October 1, 2012 at 7:16 AM · Report this
Tacoma Traveler 6
I blame the punditocracy.

Talking heads offer opinions based in anything but facts on TV and radio. The newspapers carry stories about politics written by people who have never studied politics, and thus have no idea what they're writing about. The so-called experts frequently misquote the Constitution and other parts of our legal framework. People make predictions about elections that turn out to be flat wrong, and do not lose their jobs over it. They then go on to extol their own prescience for the one or two they got right, and just forget the thousands they missed. Nobody hols anyone to account.

So if everyone, even the supposed experts, are just armchair experts-if none of us has studied politics at all, and yet we're all expected to know everything about politics-what do you expect?

Malinformed? Eli, we're all malinformed.
Posted by Tacoma Traveler on October 1, 2012 at 7:19 AM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 7
@6, it's almost like you would think we should be electing the best and brightest into our legistlative and executive offices and have journalists who have studied the areas they cover write about those areas.

This is America and THAT is just CraZY tAlk!!! I mean pundits talking out of there asses (and it's not just the right-wingers gang!) are so more entertaining!!
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on October 1, 2012 at 7:25 AM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 8
The explanation is that he's an aging cheapskate hipster. All the explanations in the world won't change that basic truth.
Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on October 1, 2012 at 7:30 AM · Report this
So in other words, he thinks charter schools and other neo-liberal policies are good for education, even though the research proves otherwise. McKenna won't do jack shit for education, and his promise to fully fund it is a joke. When you fully fund education while cutting all the services that kids depend on, it's just robbing Peter to pay Paul and won't change a thing. As for the "progressive" education groups that support McKenna? Stand for Children only stands for $$, and DFER and LEV are riding on their coattails. His reasons for voting for McKenna in regards to education are based on fallacies and assumptions.
Posted by StuckInUtah on October 1, 2012 at 7:45 AM · Report this
seandr 10
@3: The sales tax is the ultimate flat tax.

No, in fact it's not. With a flat tax, everyone pays the same percentage of their income. With sales tax, poor people pay a much higher percentage of their income than the rich.

A flat tax would actually do more to distribute wealth than our effectively regressive sales tax.
Posted by seandr on October 1, 2012 at 7:46 AM · Report this
sloegin 11
@3 Sales tax isn't really flat.

Poor people spend all of their income (which is all taxed).
The rest spend an increasingly smaller portion of their monthly paycheck as they get richer. Their money goes to savings, investments, mortgages , etc.

With the exception of food, sales tax is quite regressive.
Posted by sloegin on October 1, 2012 at 7:47 AM · Report this
I get the feeling this guy doesn't believe his own line of bullshit.
Posted by gloomy gus on October 1, 2012 at 7:48 AM · Report this
SamClemens 13
Well, I guess I've seen my last show at The Crocodile.
Posted by SamClemens on October 1, 2012 at 7:49 AM · Report this
rob! 14
Is the Crocodile as much of an armpit as it appears on StreetView (2008 imagery)?
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on October 1, 2012 at 7:59 AM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 15
He disagrees with everything McKenna stands for but he supports him? This is mindless.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on October 1, 2012 at 8:02 AM · Report this
So in other words..."I'm progressive and disenchanted that the Democratic Governor isn't progressive enough so I'm going to vote for a 'tea-bagger'."

Absurd...
Posted by TwoJims on October 1, 2012 at 8:03 AM · Report this
stinkbug 17
You missed correcting the "weather" mistake.
Posted by stinkbug on October 1, 2012 at 8:17 AM · Report this
Chris in Vancouver WA 18
@8 - Catalina, I'll bet there have been times when YOU'VE been an aging, cheapskate hipster, dear.
Posted by Chris in Vancouver WA on October 1, 2012 at 8:17 AM · Report this
Lew Siffer 19
OMG he doesn't support Jay Inslee. He must be evil. The Stranger is a one issue voter, sub abortion for gay rights.
Posted by Lew Siffer on October 1, 2012 at 8:20 AM · Report this
Eli Sanders 20
@2, etc: Fixed most of his typos. (This was done over e-mail, should have made that clear.) Thanks.
Posted by Eli Sanders http://elisanders.net/ on October 1, 2012 at 8:30 AM · Report this
Yeah, what we need is more Bowles-Simpson bipartisan bullshit. That'll fix everything.
What a maroon. What an Eskimo pie head.
Posted by Pol Pot on October 1, 2012 at 8:36 AM · Report this

Complete nonsense. Obama literally said the exact opposite of this in 2008. He said he'd go for single payer if we were starting from scratch but since we're not, there's no getting rid of the private insurance.

Can't take this guy seriously at all. Just seems to be another blowhard more interested in appearing to be such a Very Serious Independent than any actual policy beliefs.
Posted by LolOlolol on October 1, 2012 at 8:36 AM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 23
Chris dear, I am the very epitome of an aging, cheapskate hipster. But I'm not a conservative trying to masquerade as a progressive either.

If he's a conservative businessman, then he should be a conservative businessman. There's nothing wrong with that per se. But don't try to sell me on some tortuous argument to justify your conservatism - Just embrace it.

McKenna is a consummate ass. His only appeal to people of normal intelligence is that he would theoretically be good for business - and that's fine. But you also have to acknowledge that he would be anti-gay, and anti-healthcare. You can't have it both ways, and it's insulting to be talked down to like that.
Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on October 1, 2012 at 8:45 AM · Report this
Here's the foundational flaw in Marcus' argument:

"This race is not between two extreme ideologies, one right, one wrong, one conservative, one liberal. This race is between two individuals who have different skill sets, different personal religious beliefs, different views on what makes good law and statute, and how they will go about governing."

It's NOT about the people. It IS about the ideologies. The GOP's impressive discipline at keeping their members in line (NO votes for the stimulus, NO votes for ACA) indicates that you are voting at least as much for the party/ideology as you are for the person. The notion that a person of integrity and execution skills can defy ideology to do the right thing, while hopeful, is not well aligned with reality.
Posted by moretent on October 1, 2012 at 8:46 AM · Report this
DOUG. 25
Ah, "skill set" one of the most vacuous phrases in the corporate "tool box". And Marcus Charles uses it five times here. He could sit on the Seattle Times' editorial board.
Posted by DOUG. http://www.dougsvotersguide.com on October 1, 2012 at 8:52 AM · Report this
I think that Marcus Charles has it in his mind that this contradiction means he is open-minded and not easily pigeon-holed. Yet, so many of his positions contradict one another it’s hard to keep track ... and if he believes for one second that McKenna can fully fund education in this state w/o raising taxes or cutting funding from other programs he is nuts and hasn’t been following local news. Inslee is a future thinker .. meaning he is looking ahead and he sees that Wa state becoming a leader in green energy technologies is a natural fit for our state. We have the technology and manufacturing resources to both innovate and produce. McKenna tows Tea Party line on this. Smart business growth is the key to a prosperous state, I’ve heard nothing from McKenna that suggests he has a plan to grow our state’s economy w/o wrecking the environment.
Marcus Charles sounds like a pompous idiot to me ... who ever said he will be a Republican in a few years is probably right.
Posted by olive oyl on October 1, 2012 at 9:06 AM · Report this
south downtown 27
It's painful to see so many column inches (virtual as they are) wasted on one dope's rationalizing his 'third way' political stance.

Marcus Charles is so misinformed (e.g. Obama's position on healthcare, or charter schools ar "progressive") or inconsistent in viewpoint (McKenna "has not tried to impose his personal religious believes on our State" but he has tried to impose his POLITICAL beliefs on the State w regards to appeal of ACA) it makes my head spin.

And if he is so concerned about leadership and skillz as the deciding factor, why all his other bullshit about his "broad insights" on his political leanings?

What a fuck-wad.

And for the record, I prefer the old Crocodile.
Posted by south downtown on October 1, 2012 at 9:11 AM · Report this
I bet Marcus prefers McKenna due to his views on WA state minimum wages. My guess is McKenna would work towards either keeping wages at the level they are today or even try to lower them or throw the wage out altogether. How many employees does Marcus have who work at minimum wage?
Posted by kdb on October 1, 2012 at 9:18 AM · Report this
Sargon Bighorn 29
"Progressive conservative" is a "Gay Republican" for str8 folk.
Posted by Sargon Bighorn on October 1, 2012 at 9:21 AM · Report this
I like how he portrays supporting LGBTQ marriage as the old "whatever happens in the bedroom is none of my business" response. What about partner benefits, state recognition, etc.?
Posted by carnivorous chicken on October 1, 2012 at 9:22 AM · Report this
It's a Republican strategy...duh! They know that President Obama is going to kick ass here( Western Washington) They know Eastern Washington alone can't win it for them, so they find some tool(s) to make it seem like this progressive conservative animal exists, if he does, Mckena is not it. He is a right wing conservative. Good strategy, it will not work..
Posted by SeMe on October 1, 2012 at 9:35 AM · Report this
Reading through these comments, his story of the two people holding signs with their divisive partisan rhetoric yelling at each other and not listening is all too evident.

Another great piece Eli. I don't agree with Marcus on everything, but at least he's thoughtful and has legitimate reasons for his perspective. More than I can say about much of the voters (this isn't a jab at the commentors either, just a jab at our nation's uniformed voters.)
Posted by Jim from Kirkland on October 1, 2012 at 9:39 AM · Report this
CC-Rob 33
Charles' "reasoning" is so full of contradictions. It's part of the phony, "third way" bullshit - which when you break it all down is all about people who are well off looking for ways to pay less taxes.

I have no problem with people having different opinions on issues. However, it's a different story when you use your cash to create a phony coalition and try misleading people.

Thanks for the information, Eli. As a live music consumer, it helps me decide which venues I spend my hard earned money at.
Posted by CC-Rob on October 1, 2012 at 9:49 AM · Report this
@31 and it also plays into the idea that McKenna is THAT type of republican. You know the tea party, Romney, etc. The main problem is the GOP are so lockstep with each other it's really difficult for any of then to be 'moderate'. I know the Times, and a lot of folks think back to when the state had Republican governors, but that was a long time ago and the GOP has changed dramatically since then.
It's as silly as when the GOP still claims Lincoln as one of their guys, he was a big government, federal over states' rights and was (for his time) socially progressive type of president. Not at all where the party is now.
Posted by CbytheSea on October 1, 2012 at 9:50 AM · Report this
Last of the Time Lords 35
Progressive Conservative is the same as a Jewish Nazi
Posted by Last of the Time Lords on October 1, 2012 at 9:55 AM · Report this
@33 I hesitate in avoiding a business due to their owners' politics. If a band you really like is playing there, go see them. Music is a tough business and the passionate and talented should be rewarded. Go see them, buy their merch and skip the bar. That'd be the best way to show your support for your band, without adding money to a company you disagree with.
I'm in a similar bind with Deschutes Brewing, as a professional brewer, I love to support the efforts of some of my buddies brewing down in Bend. They make a good, affordable product. It's just a bummer that their owners are huge contributors of the Oregon GOP. I justify buying their products by thinking of my friends working the Brewhouse, who I know don't share their bosses' politics.
Posted by CbytheSea on October 1, 2012 at 9:59 AM · Report this
Fnarf 37
Delusional dipshit. It's jackasses like this who repeatedly vote against the things they claim to believe in that have destroyed the Republican Party, and he wants more of it. How ridiculous is that? If he would just come out and admit that he doesn't want to pay for the government he makes use of, he'd at least be more honest. I'm all right, Jack, I've got mine. Fuck you, Marcus.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on October 1, 2012 at 10:29 AM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 38
kdb @ 28: Bingo, Darling! That is it in its entirety. He has his, but he wants to look hip.

Greed will be our undoing, I'm afraid.
Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on October 1, 2012 at 10:46 AM · Report this
keshmeshi 39

What an idiot.
Posted by keshmeshi on October 1, 2012 at 11:10 AM · Report this
Theodore Gorath 40
MacCrocodile is the only Crocodile-related individual I want to hear from around here.
Posted by Theodore Gorath on October 1, 2012 at 11:30 AM · Report this
GLC219 41
Awesome. Thank you Marcus.
Posted by GLC219 http://www.glossolaliac.com on October 1, 2012 at 11:31 AM · Report this
pg13 42
I don't have any problem with Marcus Charles deciding that he favors Obama over Rmoney, passing R-74 over defeating it, and...if he believes that McKenna would be a better governor than Inslee...then that's his vote and his choice.

What I find interesting is the formation of a PAC...and the printing and posting of posters in order to convince others to vote the same way that he plans to.

I also find it interesting that he's flipped the traditional color scheme--he has Obama in "red", McKenna in "blue" (and R-74 in purple). Reading his reasoning for his choices suggests that this is purposeful--that he's suggesting that conservatives could vote for Obama (they won't), that liberals could vote for McKenna (they shouldn't) but that everybody can vote for R-74 (I hope.)

I'll agree with Mr. Charles that the candidates that I plan on voting for don't always agree with me and what I believe on every issue...even on some significant issues. However, on a broader policy basis...there is a clear choice between the direction that Obama is taking the country versus the way that Rmoney would drive us back to... There is a clear choice between the type of governor that McKenna tries to pretend he wouldn't be and the type of governor that Inslee would likely be.

And the choice is not what Marcus Charles is suggesting. Of course, your mileage may vary.
Posted by pg13 on October 1, 2012 at 11:38 AM · Report this
"Track down the man behind (these posters)." There was an ad in this week's Stranger that was identical to these posters. "Track down" seems pretty involved for something that The Stranger had direct access to.

I appreciate the interview and knowing more about the person behind this visual trick, especially since I've heard that the WRA is highly conservative - not progressively so. But, this ad/poster wasn't as mysterious as you make it seem.

Yes, at least one person on Slog also reads the weekly print edition….
Posted by lawgeek on October 1, 2012 at 11:46 AM · Report this
Let's just pile on, shall we:

"I believe in choice and also support adoption."

So he is not one of those pro-choicers who opposes adoption? What a weasel.
Posted by spock on October 1, 2012 at 11:52 AM · Report this
I support a progressive income tax system.
Posted by jeffy on October 1, 2012 at 12:43 PM · Report this
Andy_Squirrel 46
It would be hilarious for the Croc's booking agent to convince all the local & touring acts that come through town to do an Inslee shout-out before their set every single night.
Posted by Andy_Squirrel on October 1, 2012 at 12:51 PM · Report this
Marcus, This is how I'll be voting too. It's so refreshing to read about someone who can cut through the polarizing, and unnecessary ideological wars. And even more refreshing that a small business owner is brave enough to do it publically in this city and this forum. You have earned my respect Marcus.
Posted by seattlemoderate on October 1, 2012 at 1:36 PM · Report this
@26 or to advise acts to not play at that god-awful shit hole at all.
Posted by tkc on October 1, 2012 at 1:40 PM · Report this
The Croc used to be cool,
then this guys came along and bought it.....
Posted by SAILAWAY on October 1, 2012 at 1:55 PM · Report this
I know Marcus. He's a very good man. A great father, a great friend, a great husband, and a great businessman and business partner.

I completely disagree with his reasons for supporting McKenna. In my view, his is just wrong.

That said, personally attacking him is also wrong. You don't know him.

I do agree with his point that we all support candidates we disagree with on important issues. I'll be voting for Obama, but I think his health insurance plan falls way short. He has totally screwed up on financial industry reforms. He has appointed some horrible people to head agencies like the FDA. I think he lied about withdrawing from Iraq, and about closing Guantanamo. He has failed on issues like gun control. He extended the Bush tax cuts. When I voted for him last time he was against legalizing same sex marriage and even defended DOMA in court (he then switched his position thankfully). I disagree with Obama on all these things and more, but will still vote for him.

Many independent business owners are conflicted on supporting Dems. One reason is that the state Democratic party thinks it can win without them, and ignores them in making policy. I believe progressive policy, and policy supporting small business don't need to conflict.

But a restaurant owner may be turned off by a candidate like Inslee who shows up at an industry function to give his pitch with a job plan that completely leaves out their industry, as Jay did. And may believe McKenna has better management skills. End of the day, I get it. I disagree, and wholeheartedly support Inslee, but I get an independent business owner feeling disenfranchised from the Dem party. And the D's would be wise to consider how someone like Constantine can keep independents and business owners happy, while still keeping his progressive base happy.

End of the day - while I disagree with Marcus, he's not an idiot, and he is a good man. I hope we as a community can grow up and be decent to each other even when we disagree.

And, if you're going to boycott music venues because the owners are conservative, do some research. You won't be seeing many shows.
More...
Posted by Meinert on October 1, 2012 at 1:58 PM · Report this
I was looking to see the businesses that will not get my money, namely Crocodile, Local 360 and Juju. I noticed on the Juju website it says no crackheads or douches allowed. Does that mean he is not allowed into his own place since after reading his thoughts, he is clearly a douche and probably a crackhead?
Posted by amazedatthestupidity on October 1, 2012 at 2:04 PM · Report this
keshmeshi 52
@50,

You say he's not an idiot, and yet he claims to have knowledge of the issues, when in fact he doesn't. This isn't just an issue of what policies are best for the state and which are not. The man thinks President Obama supported single-payer health care in the last election. What are we supposed to take from that other than that the man is an idiot?
Posted by keshmeshi on October 1, 2012 at 2:34 PM · Report this
keshmeshi 53
@50,

Also, considering that you opposed an income tax on the basis that YOU personally don't like paying taxes, regardless of what's good for the state or small businesses, why, exactly, do you assume we should care what you think?

Anyone who pays attention to the issues knows that Democrats are better for small businesses than Republicans, by virtue of the fact that they aren't hell bent on starving the government of revenue, by virtue of the fact that they don't pretend that low taxes are the cure for all ills. I'm sorry that you don't feel that Inslee kisses your ass to your specifications, but, I hate to break it to you: McKenna won't either.
Posted by keshmeshi on October 1, 2012 at 2:46 PM · Report this
@50 I can attest that the state Dems do sometimes come off as disinterested in restaurant and beverage industry. Last time I did a hill climb with the Washington Brewers Guild, I met lots of nice state reps who I do business with in their district. But afterwards there was a gathering, super informal. I was bummed to only meet Republicans there. As I small business owner I'll still support the Dems, but it'd be nice if they showed a little more interest all the industries of the state.
That said, my favorite line from the night was talking to a state rep, who wanted the guild to do a beer festival in his district. He really want it to happen becuase he loves the "3 Bs in life, booze, babes and beef." It was really hard not to roll my eyes at that.
Posted by CbytheSea on October 1, 2012 at 3:09 PM · Report this
seandr 55
@50: That said, personally attacking him is also wrong.

When someone starts a PAC that shits up our streets with political posters, and then backs up his positions with a bunch of mealy-mouthed, nonsensical bullshit, he better be prepared to take some shots, and his business better be prepared to lose customers who would be harmed by the policies he supports (no gay marriage? no federal health care? seriously, this is the candidate that inspired him to start his PAC??). It was his choice to risk alienating his customers in pursuit of his politics. If the Croc fails because of this, he can explain what a dumbshit he is to his wife and kids.

Finally, if marginally lower taxes and minimum wage are the cornerstone of his business plan, than he's a pathetic business man. I'm sure it's competitive out there for clubs, but like anywhere else, that means you have work hard, be smart, and be creative. You don't ask for handouts from the tax pool or your lowest paid workers.

"And, if you're going to boycott music venues because the owners are conservative, do some research."

That's a good argument for doing some research, but not a good argument against boycotting music venues. Or you could save us the trouble and throw some of your competition under the bus right here.
Posted by seandr on October 1, 2012 at 3:33 PM · Report this
if you have someone like Meinert defending your character, you must be a shit bag.
Posted by legacy builder on October 1, 2012 at 3:38 PM · Report this
Keshmshi - I actually ended up supporting and voting for the high earners income tax in this state. It was flawed, and the way it was drafted punished small business, as even the drafters of it admitted, but given the lack of revenue in the state I believed it was better than defunding crucial programs. But again, the D's could have written that in a way that supported small businesses and it would have had more support. They were tactically incorrect to draft it the way they did, and they lost in part because of that.

And I agree, progressive policies are generally better for the whole economy, including small business. But policies have details, and these details could often, almost always, be drafted better to help small businesses (the real job creators). So while I disagree with Marcus, and the WRA and many other restaurant owners who support McKenna, I get their point.

BTW - I believe I've helped raise far more money for Inslee than Marcus's PAC has raised or donated to McKenna, so hey, if you want to support my businesses you're welcome to. Even if you disagree with me you're welcome too!

As for other music venues, festivals, businesses on the hill who I am sure many of you frequent, I'll let you do the research. I don't think they should be boycotted, so have no intention of throwing them under the bus. But if you're so fucking smart that you can call someone like Marcus an idiot, I'm sure you can use Google and find them.
Posted by Meinert on October 1, 2012 at 5:05 PM · Report this
DOUG. 58
He may not be an idiot, but his rationalizations are idiotic. Perhaps he thinks we're the idiots...
Posted by DOUG. http://www.dougsvotersguide.com on October 1, 2012 at 5:17 PM · Report this
With two white, heterosexual males with non-ethnic sounding names running, Eli won't be able to cry bigotry with an even remote suspense of disbelief, so he'll just slander anyone who doesn't vote for Inslee. "Advocacy journalism" and all...
Posted by Stranger'sWorstNightmare on October 1, 2012 at 6:06 PM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 60
Welcome, Seattlemoderate @47. This is your very first slog entry, after joining today. Sort of a strange one to start on, but a troll's gotta eat, right?

All these bar/restaurant owners who want to be cool and have a fancy house, but don't want to pay decent wages or provide benefits make me tired. They love to be The Big Man when a popular employee gets ill or has an accident - Hey, they'll host a benefit, maybe even donate all the beer sales that night!

Electing a governor who actually supports healthcare is just too much to ask.

Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on October 1, 2012 at 8:20 PM · Report this
scojomojo 61
He forgot to state his belief in paying local bands as little money as possible to the point of insult. This post just gives me another reason to avoid his crappy club.
Posted by scojomojo on October 1, 2012 at 8:46 PM · Report this
This just sounds like another Washington independent voter who wants to vote independently. This is a good thing. It is why we elected Dan Evans as governor, many years ago. He was a great governor (seriously -- ask anyone on either side of the aisle). Joel Pritchard was a very good representative as well.

But that was then. This is now, and McKenna is not a sensible, moderate Republican. The Republican party in Washington is not as crazy as the party is nationwide, but that doesn't mean that it is as sensible as the party was forty years ago. The Republican party refuses to raise taxes while in the middle of a funding crisis. They make horrible cuts that will hurt us in the long run. Actually, they do raise taxes, but they call it a tuition increase. Studies have show that the best thing to do is raise taxes, rather than cut government spending when you are in a recession, but they refuse to do so. Of course, the best thing to do is have the federal government go into debt while you are in a recession, but no one (not McKenna, that's for sure) has even suggested that. If McKenna came out in favor of having the federal government bailout the states, then I would respect him. But he doesn't. He is simply another sad Republican who is too stupid to realize that the party has become too extreme or he is simply an extremist who is comfortable towing the party line. Either way, he doesn't deserve the vote of any sensible independent voter.
Posted by Ross on October 1, 2012 at 9:15 PM · Report this
blackhook 63
This is a perfectly good reason to NEVER visit The Crocodile again. How could any thinking person *really* support Rob McKenna or any of these Republican phonies? McKenna is a far right-wing extremist bigot trying to couch his intolerances in a cuddly personna. Don't fall for it!

Marcus Charles, you are a moron! See the light & reject these Republi-cons!!!
Posted by blackhook on October 2, 2012 at 12:35 AM · Report this
spaceapple 64
I think "ideologically nonsensical" sums it up nicely. Marcus Charles' rant lacked any clear, logical point. "I support McKenna because of his superior skills sets." Lame.
Posted by spaceapple on October 2, 2012 at 10:15 AM · Report this
Obama is going to win Washington regardless, so let's dispense with that part of the "split ticket". Essentially, these fliers are a McKenna endorsement splitting with a vote to approve R-74. In other words, a conservative ticket with a more liberal stance on gay rights. Or, more bluntly, ratfucking.
Posted by Joel_Are on October 2, 2012 at 10:31 AM · Report this
All you shit talkers will gladly stand in line and hand this guy's establishment your money the next time some band you like comes to the Crocodile.
Posted by Gomez http://misterstevengomez.com on October 2, 2012 at 11:13 AM · Report this