Thursday, September 27, 2012

Grrrl Army Takes Over Tubs in the U-District

Posted by on Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 10:11 AM

I gotta say, I'm smitten with Grrrl Army and their pepto-pink PSAs on rape. They're a little like forcing the public into a comprehensive 8th grade sex education class. Their latest wall in the U-District is dedicated to consent.

Screen_shot_2012-09-27_at_10.00.40_AM.png
  • Slog tipper Julia

WHAT IS CONSENT??? the wall screams. VERBAL AND PHYSICAL AGREEMENT. HOW DO YOU GIVE CONSENT?

The message is as striking as its color palette. While rape is obviously defined by its inherent lack of consent, there's not a lot of discussion about the various physical and verbal cues people give to demonstrate that consent. And it's rarely as cut-and-dry as someone saying, "Will you have sex with me now?" and getting the response, "Yes, I will have sex with you."

And like everything else in the world, there is a spectrum of physical violation. There are strikingly violent rapes perpetrated by strangers in dark alleys, and there are rapes perpetrated by friends after a night of heavy drinking, when what a woman thinks of as drunk buddy behavior is misconstrued by a male friend as an invitation to hump her. And then there's everything in between.

I don't think we'll ever completely eliminate rape from society. Call me cynical, but I think there will always be predators who prey on women because fear and violence and physical domination—that lack of consent—is tied to their sexual gratification. But we can cut down that spectrum of sexual assault by having conversations about how women and men telegraph their consent to each other. And for that, I thank you, Consent Wall.

More pics after the jump, courtesy of Slog tipper Julia.

grrlarmy2.jpg
  • Slog tipper Julia

grrlarmy3.jpg
  • Slog tipper Julia

TheMisanthrope 1
Can I say that I miss the coat hanger abortion art piece? That was amazing.
Posted by TheMisanthrope on September 27, 2012 at 10:18 AM · Report this
yelahneb 2
"For instance, I give consent through a series of short, coyote-like yips accompanied by the swelling of my vaginal walls. (Unusual, I know, but as my mother is fond of saying, I was raised by a pack of wolves.)"

With each passing day I love you a little more, Cienna.
Posted by yelahneb http://www.strangebutharmless.com on September 27, 2012 at 10:19 AM · Report this
Beetlecat 3
Props for leaving the marked parking space intact.. ;D
Posted by Beetlecat on September 27, 2012 at 10:22 AM · Report this
Matt from Denver 4
I'm reminded of Antioch College, and how they mandated its students to give consent for sex EXACTLY as described: "Will you have sex with me?" "Yes, I will have sex with you." Anything else would be construed as rape.
Posted by Matt from Denver on September 27, 2012 at 10:41 AM · Report this
merry 5
I WANT TO ENLIST IN GRRL ARMY!!!

sorry for shouting, but I DO... WHERE IS THE ENLISTMENT OFFICE ANYWAY, dang it?
Posted by merry on September 27, 2012 at 10:47 AM · Report this
@5-

seattlegrrrlarmy.tumblr.com

also on facebook

we regularly post upcoming actions
Posted by GLITUR_Chad on September 27, 2012 at 10:57 AM · Report this
Lew Siffer 7
Someone busted out one of the panels in the front there. Probably a long time ago, but left it open now. I went exploring in there with my headlamp. Bunch of spraying, sexo, and needles. Felt like an archeologist exploring the old wreckage. Surprised someone hasn't burned it down, on purpose or accident. Probably what the owner is hoping for.
Posted by Lew Siffer on September 27, 2012 at 11:19 AM · Report this
Cienna, I don't think your being cynical at all.

If anybody believes that we can eliminate predators from humanity they're under Star Trek The Next Generation levels of utopian delusion.

But we can, and we have, made the world a lot safer - bit by bit- for women. And that's something to feel hopeful about.
Posted by tkc on September 27, 2012 at 11:38 AM · Report this
Will in Seattle 9
@5 not sure, but they follow me on twitter.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on September 27, 2012 at 12:06 PM · Report this
Dr_Awesome 10
@9 thoroughly useless grandstanding post. Say, did they help you create COSTCO CHICKEN MEME!
*Snicker*
Posted by Dr_Awesome on September 27, 2012 at 12:19 PM · Report this
Am I missing the outraged post about the SPD's remarks regarding alleged Seattle rapist attorney Danford Grant's behavior, calling his alleged serial raping "[suggestive of] compulsive and uncontrollable behavior?" I would have expected Slog and the Slutwalkers to be all over that one.

Kiro has mentioned that remark in their reporting since yesterday, and I can't believe none of the radio hosts have even questioned it. How can you just not be able to control yourself from raping?
Posted by virginia mason on September 27, 2012 at 12:34 PM · Report this
Fnarf 12
There's only one reason why anyone would follow Will in Seattle on Twitter: lulz. Like when he's retweeting the hottest news from KOMO as if it was state secrets, or when he's hitting on various almost celebrities who don't know he exists.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on September 27, 2012 at 12:47 PM · Report this
I don't ask "Will you have sex with me now?" per se, but I do ask "Permission to come aboard?"

You're welcome to use it.
Posted by sugar7898 on September 27, 2012 at 1:32 PM · Report this
Only Americans would need lawyers in the room to prepare them for their love making.
Posted by The Frenchman on September 27, 2012 at 3:06 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 15
@12 riiight. The majority of people who follow me are people who do stuff, not whiny b.t.h.s like Fnarf or the fake adbots I report as spam.

Whatever, dude. Someone asked, and I happened to know that they had just started following me. Which reminds me, have to report a couple new spambots.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on September 27, 2012 at 4:18 PM · Report this
TortoiseTurtle 16
Aside from painting shit pink, have they done anything else? I saw something about fighting back, but I figure they realized that there wasn't actually much out there to fight back against.

'Rape culture' is like the satanic panic of the upper-middle class female nowadays.

You're not much of an army if all you do is pat yourself on the back and paint shit pink.
Posted by TortoiseTurtle http://slog.thestranger.com on September 27, 2012 at 4:32 PM · Report this
merry 17
@ 6 - THANK YOU

Posted by merry on September 27, 2012 at 4:40 PM · Report this
Soupytwist 18
@13 - Ha ha. Good line...
Posted by Soupytwist http://twitter.com/katherinesmith on September 27, 2012 at 4:41 PM · Report this
merry 19
@ 10, 12 - THANK YOU
Posted by merry on September 27, 2012 at 4:46 PM · Report this
Yes! Always get consent first! Unless it's about vandalizing a building! Then just go for it!
Posted by Hates Hypocrisy on September 27, 2012 at 5:53 PM · Report this
Dr_Awesome 21
@15: Gawd, baby jeezus cries because you sre so stupid.
Someone asked, in a humorous and not-very-serious way how to get ahold of the grrl army

You posted an inanely vapid reply that offered no useful information, and showed your self-serving twat personality.

Go pester Ellen Barkin about your COSTCO CHICKENS, you twat.

P.s., I wasted three minutes glancing at your tweets. Fnarf was right.
Posted by Dr_Awesome on September 27, 2012 at 7:49 PM · Report this
@20 - because our bodies and abandoned properties are somehow equivalent? You "hates hypocrisy" and apparently also hate logic. You should probably think long and hard about the very significant differences between our SELVES and someone's BUILDING.
Posted by Benj on September 27, 2012 at 8:07 PM · Report this
Theodore Gorath 23
My only concern is that all this very visible vandalism will give the cops a good reason to bust up some houses/women looking for dangerous literature.
Posted by Theodore Gorath on September 28, 2012 at 5:43 AM · Report this
It's....NOT....vandalism....

Tubs is free space, hence all the spray paint all over it. The wall on 11th and Pine was as well.

Cops have actually approached us while doing these actions several times... just to voice their support. That actually kind of makes me feel gross, because I hate cops. It does, however, lead me to believe that maybe we weren't breaking any laws.
Posted by GLITUR_Chad on September 28, 2012 at 9:17 AM · Report this
It's interesting that given all the lip service to rape by this paper, no one has offered any kind of opinion about the Danford Grant case and the media coverage surrounding it. What's the deal? It's a huge story, and a perfect example of white male privilege being used to the utmost.

I don't want to agree with #16, but if girls want to march in their fucking panties ostensibly for women's rights and rape education, shouldn't they also be backing that shit up by, you know, using their brains to write a fucking editorial piece about this story? Or is would that be too unsexy and confrontational?
Posted by Young Feminsts, Get it Together on September 28, 2012 at 10:57 AM · Report this
Stop fu@$ing up art spots! Seattle artists only have a few precious spots in which to share their talent. You idiots writing RAPE only gets them taken away from us! Go actually protest or do something beneficial and leave the art spots alone!
Posted by stopeffingupartspots on October 8, 2012 at 12:50 PM · Report this
antiuser 27
@26 street art is ephemeral by its very nature. If you want to keep your art forever, paint it on a fucking canvas. If you paint it on the street, it will be painted over sooner or later, that's just how street art works. If you don't understand or accept this, then get out of the game.
Posted by antiuser http://antiuser.org on October 8, 2012 at 4:27 PM · Report this
@ A (27) Its not about keeping your piece up, its about there being an available venue to display it! These people would do a lot more good volunteering for a cause rather than some vapid display of teenage angst posing as art. Street artist and graffiti artist understand that you dont go and draw a giant dick on a "free wall" and act surprised when that venue is taken away. You want to change the world? GOOD! Grow the fuck up and actually do something that matters! Writing "Fuck Rape Culture" 6 ft tall only serves to inflate the ego of the person slapping it up there and pisses off everyone else.
Posted by stopeffingupartspots on October 10, 2012 at 8:00 PM · Report this
antiuser 29
@28 the same could be said for any tag anywhere. Who said that once Grrrl Army hits up a spot it's gone forever? Tubs is still there, the poster wall is still there. I'm sure they would take no issue with their stuff being covered up by street art over time. Poster Giant though, that's a different story. They can go eat a bag of dicks (deluxe).
Posted by antiuser http://antiuser.org on October 14, 2012 at 6:21 PM · Report this