Thursday, September 20, 2012

Grrrl Army Strikes Again

Posted by on Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Wherever there's rubble, they're there on the double... this time for The Case of the Abandoned Store:

capitol_hill_market.jpg
  • Photo courtesy Slog tipper Charles

It's cute. And for what it's worth, this is what I think about past anti-gentrification activism in Capitol Hill.

not cute.

you pathetic hack.

Did you hear about the successful terrorist attack on US soil?

Why didn't you post that Obama's CounterTerrorism Director said the murder of Chris Stevens was a terrorist attack?

Not the result of a protest riot.....

That Stevens was on a terrorist hit list?

And knew it?

And spent the last weeks of his life fearing for his life?

And that Obama did not protect him?

Why didn't you post that?

Asshole.
Posted by AmericainFlames on September 20, 2012 at 10:01 AM · Report this
"Wherever there's rubble, they're there on the double" - genius!

Speaking of the g-word, Capitol Hill Seattle did a post on the possibility Metropolitan Market's gonna lease all the Value Village and ex-Velo space under the Stranger.
Posted by gloomy gus on September 20, 2012 at 10:10 AM · Report this
Why aren't any stranger pics showing, including this one??!!! so frustrating, this is a longtime problem. love the grrrl army, wanted to see their latest. oh well.
Posted by jackieoh on September 20, 2012 at 10:17 AM · Report this
sikandro 4
By the way, anyone know what happened to that store? It closed in the middle of a month, pretty suddenly, and everything was boarded up the same day it closed.
Posted by sikandro on September 20, 2012 at 10:18 AM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 5
I wish the Hill was still gay. Now the only thing that makes it "gay" is a few clubs. Beyond that....well welcome to Bell Square Part Two!

I wonder what year historians will peg as the year Capitol Hill was no longer gay? Hmmmmm
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on September 20, 2012 at 10:21 AM · Report this
Dominic Holden 6
@1) You should teach Poetry School.
Posted by Dominic Holden on September 20, 2012 at 10:25 AM · Report this
More, I Say! 7
@2 That'd be insane! I didn't even know Velo was closed. I mean, the V Village space has had a "for lease" sign up since....possibly the dawn of time. I can't even imagine the hill without the giantest, grossest Village ever casting a stinky shadow over the sidewalk.
Posted by More, I Say! on September 20, 2012 at 10:33 AM · Report this
@7, Velo's moving to a smaller space in the taint area between S. Lake Union and Belltown, I believe. The V. Village chain is owned by the same people who own the building, so the eternal "For Lease" thing has always meant "willing to move out our Village store if a renter comes along".

Now that Velo's vacating, the whole space from corner to midblock is free for joining together, rehabbing and possible-supermarket-siting.
Posted by gloomy gus on September 20, 2012 at 10:47 AM · Report this

wow.

thanks...
Posted by sorry we called you an asshole. well. not really... on September 20, 2012 at 10:53 AM · Report this
@2 Ugh not a fan of this idea- there's already two QFCs within blocks of here, a Trader Joe's and Central Co Op. Do we really need another grocery store?
Posted by UNPAID COMMENTER on September 20, 2012 at 10:56 AM · Report this
s.maxim 11
@5 your gay-enough standards are exceptionally high. I would gladly take bell square over a caphill with more than the current "few" gay clubs. yikes
Posted by s.maxim on September 20, 2012 at 12:05 PM · Report this
michaelp 12
I used to live over on 14th and Howell, and would frequent that store. It always irked me that the receipts for credit/debit printed "Capital Hill Market" across the top.

Posted by michaelp on September 20, 2012 at 12:37 PM · Report this
Rotten666 13
Can someone tell these morons that the battle for the hill was lost a decade ago? The queers are all moving south where they can afford to live, just like everyone else.

Posted by Rotten666 on September 20, 2012 at 1:05 PM · Report this
I love that these are happening so close to the Cop Shop on 12th. Turns out that you have enough time to paint an entire storefront on a busy street in a crazy bright color without getting caught. Reassuring.
Posted by meats on September 20, 2012 at 2:57 PM · Report this
Cascadian Bacon 15
It's cute!

But yea what 11 said

@14
You know the precinct is just where cops go to change clothes right?
Posted by Cascadian Bacon on September 20, 2012 at 3:28 PM · Report this
McGee 16
@1 Man you've really got nothing today.
Posted by McGee on September 20, 2012 at 4:26 PM · Report this
Oh my. Yeah, Grace (Capitol Hill Grocery) did leave in a hurry. Heh...I went in and half the stock was gone one day. But she never actually told me WHY she was leaving. I still have her phone number somewhere. I should call her and see how she's doing. Gawd she was funny, and I miss that stupid run-down overpriced store. Sometimes. Now I look at the store and the word irony comes to mind...always an unpleasant sensation.
Posted by ooppoddoo on October 21, 2012 at 1:46 PM · Report this