Wednesday, September 19, 2012

The Stranger Genius Awards: Overheard in the Office Edition

Posted by on Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 1:53 PM

1347999804-geniusawards.jpg1346881095-original.jpeg
People keep talking—more this year than ever—about what they're going to wear on Saturday night, what they wish other people would wear on Saturday night, how the Genius Awards are an unusual night for Seattle fashion, etc.

I'm guessing the nature of this year's Genius party—more energy and more anticipation because nobody, including the arts staff, knows who's going to win—is heightening the sense of spectacle. Plus, there will be a 50-piece orchestra playing covers of songs by our music nominees, a dance performance by Kate Wallich, a world-premiere cello composition by music nominee Lori Goldston, and much more. All this display has people thinking seriously about their costumes.

Most people around the office seem to know what they'll be wearing, except for music editor Emily Nokes. "I haven't found anything to wear yet," she said a few seconds ago. "But I did buy some pink lipstick."

Want to see Emily Nokes's new pink lipstick? Get your tickets here.

Great! Sounds like a fun party! Now please remove that fucking banner from my screen.
Posted by crone on September 19, 2012 at 2:14 PM · Report this
MacCrocodile 2
Apply enough lipstick, and you have your outfit right there.
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on September 19, 2012 at 2:18 PM · Report this
I'm curious how it is an unusual night for Seattle fashion? Is there an unusual dress code? Now I'm intrigued.
Posted by mitten on September 19, 2012 at 2:50 PM · Report this
sanguisuga 4
@1 - THANK YOU!!
Posted by sanguisuga on September 19, 2012 at 3:14 PM · Report this
Josh Bis 5
Sad to be out of town for the party this year, can't wait to find out who takes the cakes.
Posted by Josh Bis http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Author.html?oid=3815563 on September 19, 2012 at 5:27 PM · Report this
COMTE 6
@1/4:

Click the down arrow at the top-center of the pop-up and watch it magically disappear!
Posted by COMTE on September 19, 2012 at 6:28 PM · Report this
Compte: Thanks for the advice, but I can't find a down arrow at the top-center. If I click anything I get the stupid ad, therefore I feel I am being personally targeted for harrassment.
Posted by crone on September 20, 2012 at 1:48 AM · Report this