Sunday, September 16, 2012

The It Gets Better Project Wins the Emmys' Governors Award!

Posted by on Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Terry and Dan! And Dan in a motherfucking suit!
  • Terry and Dan! And Dan in a motherfucking suit!

Great news! From the NYT:

[T]he Academy of Television Arts and Sciences, presented its Governors Award to the It Gets Better Project, an online video movement to support gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender youth.

And from the Hollywood Reporter:

Dan Savage and husband Terry Miller received a standing ovation Saturday when they were presented with the Governors Award at the Creative Arts Emmys. The men were honored for their work on the “It Gets Better Project,” an anti-bullying campaign and video series that has earned submissions from stars and international figures including President Obama....Savage told reporters afterwards that he became emotional when seeing the crowd’s warm response. “The award is not for us. It’s for the project,” Savage said. “I think it’s a moment in our culture when it's broken through to the world that LGBT children were suffering and dying. The award means that the culture is reconciling itself to the needs of LGBT kids, who grow up in straight families and are often bullied by their own families. “To get a standing ovation from that crowd was flabbergasting ... I actually teared up and then I couldn’t see to read the teleprompter and I had to wing it.”

Congratulations, Dan and Terry! So awesome.

YAY!!!
Posted by Bethany Jean Clement on September 16, 2012 at 6:10 PM · Report this
Big Sven 2
Fuck yeah! Congratulations, guys.
Posted by Big Sven http://onedatapoint.blogspot.com/ on September 16, 2012 at 6:13 PM · Report this
Eva Hopkins 3
Handsome couple with big, open hearts & big mouth to back it up. Guys: mazel tov, it's nice to see the wider world recognizing the good you do.

Cheers..!
Posted by Eva Hopkins http://www.lunamusestudios.com on September 16, 2012 at 6:20 PM · Report this
Great work!
Posted by fairly.unbalanced on September 16, 2012 at 6:28 PM · Report this
Very well deserved, both of you. But more importantly, it is helping to shed light and change hearts on an incredibly heartbreaking part of our culture. Congratulations!
Posted by SeattleKim on September 16, 2012 at 6:30 PM · Report this
RainMan 6
What a wonderful project this is and continues to be. Very well deserved congratulations to Dan and Terry.
Posted by RainMan on September 16, 2012 at 6:32 PM · Report this
despicable me 7
Congratulations! Can't wait to see the video of the acceptance. Anyone have the link?

Dan?
Posted by despicable me on September 16, 2012 at 6:34 PM · Report this
Is there video of the acceptance speech? I want to see Dan & Terry get a standing ovation for this project!
Posted by sisyphusgal on September 16, 2012 at 6:35 PM · Report this
Come on! Dan in a "mother-fucking suit" is not so odd. At least it's not odd these days. The days of Dan Savage being the renegade are pretty much over. Let's be real here. Dan may not think he is, but the reality is that he's become a celebrity. It's not always bad to be a high-profile celebrity but the reality is that he now is one. We may also talk of Zach Wahls is nice tones, but the reality is that he's one as well (and cute too with his scruffy beard which he disappointedly shaved off for the DNC.)
Posted by Weekilter on September 16, 2012 at 6:45 PM · Report this
Here is the info on when this will be on TV. Any idea on what channel Reelz is on?

"The Creative Arts Emmys took place at the Nokia Theatre LA Live and will air Sept. 22 at 8 p.m. on Reelz Channel, the day before The Primetime Emmys."
Posted by SeattleKim on September 16, 2012 at 6:48 PM · Report this
I am sooo thrilled for you both, Dan and Terry! I want you to know that I am a school psychologist who used your videos with many of my students. You have made a positive impact on their lives!

Way to go! Oh, yeah: add a thank you to the cheers!
Posted by Fizgig on September 16, 2012 at 6:48 PM · Report this
So deserved. Hooray!
Posted by gloomy gus on September 16, 2012 at 6:48 PM · Report this
But the real credit should go to those - gay and otherwise, groups and individuals, organizations and private citizens - who have contributed their own It Gets Better videos, right?
Posted by floater on September 16, 2012 at 6:59 PM · Report this
Lissa 14
So lovely! Congrats to you for all your hard work.
Posted by Lissa on September 16, 2012 at 6:59 PM · Report this
David Schmader 15
9: I do believe this is the first suit Dan has ever worn. Celebrity and suits do not automatically go together. My dream for Dan is that he gets so famous, he's allowed to wear whatever the hell he wants wherever the hell he wants. Like Cher.
Posted by David Schmader on September 16, 2012 at 6:59 PM · Report this
*sigh*
Direct TV 238
Dish HD 299

I'm on Comcast. Reelz is not on Comcast locally. Looks like it will have to be viewed on Reelz.com on the computer. Crap.
Posted by SeattleKim on September 16, 2012 at 7:00 PM · Report this
David @15. You need to blow that pic up to full poster size, and plaster it all over the office. It may well be the only time you will ever see Dan in a suit, and the moment needs to be well documented.
Posted by SeattleKim on September 16, 2012 at 7:06 PM · Report this
I meant to ask:

Is this better than a Blethen award?
Posted by Fizgig on September 16, 2012 at 7:12 PM · Report this
I'm tearing up too!
Posted by Jamie in Pittsburgh http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/strawberry.limonade?ref=name on September 16, 2012 at 7:14 PM · Report this
this guy I know in Spokane 20
Congratulations, you guys! And Dan, you look really good dressed as a grownup.
Posted by this guy I know in Spokane on September 16, 2012 at 7:32 PM · Report this
venomlash 21
I want to say something Freudian about Dan wearing a necktie and Terry wearing a bowtie, and what it says about their love life, but I can't quite figure out how to phrase it, so I'm typing this long awkward sentence instead.
Posted by venomlash on September 16, 2012 at 7:41 PM · Report this
emma's bee 22
Fantastic achievement for the IGBP. Congratulations to Terry and Dan, and everybody who submitted or was inspired by a video!
Posted by emma's bee on September 16, 2012 at 7:52 PM · Report this
@13: You'll appreciate my speech, I think. The award was for the project, and I accepted on behalf of everyone who has made or helped make a video—and I name-checked Obama and Buck Angel.
Posted by Dan Savage on September 16, 2012 at 8:05 PM · Report this
dnt trust me 24
Much like your acceptance on behalf of everyone involved with IGBP, I congratulate you Dan on behalf of the several gay members of my close extended family. I believe they appreciate your work. I don't so much, but I'm just an old crank. Awards, pffft, fuck em.
Posted by dnt trust me on September 16, 2012 at 8:14 PM · Report this
kim in portland 25
Congratulations Dan, Terry and every contributing soul!

I've seen with my own eyes the difference IGBP has made. I salute you all.

Cheers!
Posted by kim in portland http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/11/fast-paced_video_provides_a_fu.html on September 16, 2012 at 8:17 PM · Report this
carriemcc 26
Congrats guys!
Posted by carriemcc on September 16, 2012 at 8:43 PM · Report this
onion 27
Wow! Awesome! Way to go, Dan, Terry and everyone who contributed/will contribute a video.
Fantastic! you all deserve that standing ovation.
Posted by onion on September 16, 2012 at 8:47 PM · Report this
Reverse Polarity 28
Hahahaha!

@9, I've been a fan since the earliest days of Savage Love, and have seen and met Dan at assorted events around town many times over the last 20 years, and I have never, ever, seen him in a motherfucking suit before. I almost didn't recognize him in the photo.

Great to see It Gets Better win this award. Congratulations to Dan, Terry, and everyone who contributed to the cause.
Posted by Reverse Polarity on September 16, 2012 at 9:11 PM · Report this
Revenge! 29
Thank you Dan and Terry for making a difference.
Posted by Revenge! on September 16, 2012 at 9:23 PM · Report this
Congrats, and well deserved.
Posted by carnivorous chicken on September 16, 2012 at 9:31 PM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 32
Hells yeah
Posted by Urgutha Forka on September 16, 2012 at 10:07 PM · Report this
reverend dr dj riz 33
congratulations dan and terry, you shared your lives and saved a life ( probably many many more) i'm proud to know you and proud of you.
Posted by reverend dr dj riz on September 16, 2012 at 10:25 PM · Report this
YAY! Congratulations you two (and all of the folks that contributed their own stories and support to the project). Just awesome!
Posted by gnossos on September 16, 2012 at 10:45 PM · Report this
rob! 35
Congratulations to both of you and everyone else involved. Yes, it may be for the project, but that would never have happened without your own personal stories in addition to your years in public life, coming to understand the bully pulpit, how to manage controversy effectively, and how to convey ideas to people in such a way that they take root.

And I like the matching lavender pocket squares.
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on September 16, 2012 at 10:49 PM · Report this
biju 36
Nice going guys. Congratulations!!
Posted by biju on September 16, 2012 at 10:57 PM · Report this
Congrats to you both, Dan & Terry.
Posted by jhops on September 16, 2012 at 11:12 PM · Report this
dwightmoodyforgetsthings 38
Who'd Dan borrow the suit from?
Posted by dwightmoodyforgetsthings http://www.reddit.com/r/spaceclop on September 16, 2012 at 11:15 PM · Report this
Congratulations

A simple plan that no one else thought, that changed the world for the better, if that's not genius I don't know what is.
Posted by Merchant Seaman on September 16, 2012 at 11:30 PM · Report this
Wonderful! Congratulations!!
Posted by kerri harrop http://generalbonkers.com on September 16, 2012 at 11:36 PM · Report this
yelahneb 41
Excellent work, gentlemen!
Posted by yelahneb http://www.strangebutharmless.com on September 16, 2012 at 11:55 PM · Report this
Puty 42
Congratulations Dan, Terry and everyone who contributed to the IGBP! It's proof that a good idea and a great community can change the world. Just lovely.
Posted by Puty on September 17, 2012 at 2:26 AM · Report this
Dan, you make me proud/grateful to live in Seattle with you! XOXO Eric & Tye
Posted by Erok on September 17, 2012 at 2:49 AM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 44
Congratulations! Well deserved. Let's see Santorum top that. Oooh, wait, I take that back.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on September 17, 2012 at 3:15 AM · Report this
Adding my congrats for this well deserved award!
Posted by Patricia Kayden on September 17, 2012 at 3:43 AM · Report this
doloresdaphne 46
Congratulations Dan & Terry!
(leveraging a genius idea with fame & internet power, and the stories of thousands of individuals to make the world a kinder and safer place. yeah, deserves an award).
Posted by doloresdaphne on September 17, 2012 at 4:39 AM · Report this
Matt from Denver 47
Congratulations. It must feel great knowing that you're making a real difference.
Posted by Matt from Denver on September 17, 2012 at 5:30 AM · Report this
Theodore Gorath 49
Oh look, we made it to 47 comments before the Savage obsessed troll showed up.

Congratulations on having the restraint to not post 4 comments right on top of each other under different names.
Posted by Theodore Gorath on September 17, 2012 at 6:00 AM · Report this
too legit to quit
Posted by Doot on September 17, 2012 at 6:05 AM · Report this
As someone with a family member who attempted suicide at age 15 due to school bullying, you guys have been my heroes for thinking of the project to begin with, and forcing a long overdue, but to that point, maddeningly improbable nationwide (then worldwide) conversation about it. Seriously - for bullying stories to be told out loud, for this previously largely dismissed and ignored topic to be making it into op eds and the covers of magazines and around water coolers at the office -for the White House to hold it's first ever conference on bullying as a direct result of IGB ...

You have genuinely impacted the world for the better - how many people can say that?

Emmys, and a standing ovation, are the least you deserve. (But congrats on them, anyway :)
Posted by Velvetbabe on September 17, 2012 at 6:32 AM · Report this
Bauhaus I 52
EMMY!
Posted by Bauhaus I on September 17, 2012 at 6:33 AM · Report this
And you both look damn handsome in your suits ...
Posted by Velvetbabe on September 17, 2012 at 6:36 AM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 54
Perfection!
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on September 17, 2012 at 7:05 AM · Report this
eastcoastreader 55
holy shit, Dan in a SUIT!!

Congratulations Dan and Terry!
Posted by eastcoastreader on September 17, 2012 at 7:47 AM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 56
How wonderful! Congratulations to you both!
Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on September 17, 2012 at 7:54 AM · Report this
Joe Szilagyi 58
Fantastic! Congratulations, guys.
Posted by Joe Szilagyi http://twitter.com/joeszi on September 17, 2012 at 7:59 AM · Report this
Rob in Baltimore 59
48/57. You're losing.
Posted by Rob in Baltimore http://www.wishbookweb.com/ on September 17, 2012 at 8:03 AM · Report this
Helenka (also a Canuck) 60
For something so revolutionary, it's really heartening to know that one "can't stop the signal". Thank you so much for starting it!
Posted by Helenka (also a Canuck) on September 17, 2012 at 8:09 AM · Report this
Quintus Slide 61
Well done, gentlemen. Congratulations.
Posted by Quintus Slide on September 17, 2012 at 8:14 AM · Report this
Fantastic! Congratulations on a job well done.
Posted by mitten on September 17, 2012 at 8:14 AM · Report this
The most passionate, anal-sex obsessed homophobes always seem to turn out to be the closet cases. So @48/57, when are YOU going to come out? You fag.

Also congrats for Dan and Terry. They have done a wonderful thing for the world.
Posted by ohthetrees on September 17, 2012 at 8:20 AM · Report this
@48 You really think you have a winner with that polygamy argument, don't you.
Posted by Lumpmoose on September 17, 2012 at 8:28 AM · Report this
Womyn2me 65
I'm going to want to see that Emmy at the next Slog Happy...
Oh, bring the Pulitzer too. I'll pay 5$ to have my picture taken with them.
Posted by Womyn2me http://http:\\www.shelleyandlaura.com on September 17, 2012 at 8:55 AM · Report this
More and more straight people are coming to accept that gay people are every bit as much people as they are, and that when it comes to sexuality, and sexual expression among consenting adults, everybody should mind their own business. But kids who are being abused and bullied for who they are, can't always see this. That's why the IGBP is so important, and why Dan and Terry are such geniuses, for finding a way to tell them!

I'm surprised by the award. There's no question it's deserved, I'm just surprised that the Emmy folks recognized that! If there was any remaining question that IGBP made an impression, that ought to answer it.
Posted by Brooklyn Reader on September 17, 2012 at 8:59 AM · Report this
merry 67
Fantastic news! I teared up, too, just now... just reading about it - good thing there's no teleprompter I have to read here at work!

Dan, Terry - you will never truly know the amount of good just this one project of yours will do in the world.. The ripples just keep on spreading outward, touching hearts, changing lives...

And yes, to echo what others have said: you two look damn fine in your suits!! :-D
Posted by merry on September 17, 2012 at 9:20 AM · Report this
Sargon Bighorn 68
Well done Gentlemen.
Posted by Sargon Bighorn on September 17, 2012 at 9:30 AM · Report this
Rob in Baltimore 72
70, Heterosexuality and homosexuality are sexual orientations. Polygamy is a type of marriage, not a sexual orientation.
Posted by Rob in Baltimore http://www.wishbookweb.com/ on September 17, 2012 at 9:55 AM · Report this
Congratulations, Terry & Dan. You both look so handsome! The Emmy is well deserved, Dan; the IGBP deserves many, many standing Ovations. Thank you so much, Dan for starting it. I only wish it had been around earlier so that it might have benefited my eldest brother. Keep up the good work!

And, people, don't feed the troll...

Posted by Schweighsr on September 17, 2012 at 10:09 AM · Report this
Rhett Oracle 74
Just great news - so well-deserved - and if you accomplish nothing else - the IGBP will stand as your most significant contribution to a world that's starved for good works.
Posted by Rhett Oracle on September 17, 2012 at 10:17 AM · Report this

Troll-boy, not only are you and your type losing, you've already lost, it's just that you don't, for some reason, know it. Understand this one thing: You're a thing of the past - a neanderthal being passed over, and left behind, by the world.

And please don't get it into your pretty little head that anyone here is "obsessed" with you. We're not even annoyed. We're just bored.
Posted by Velvetbabe on September 17, 2012 at 10:24 AM · Report this
Pick1 76
Congrats Dan. That's awesome!
Posted by Pick1 on September 17, 2012 at 11:08 AM · Report this
Westlake, son! 77
New business cards!

Dan Savage
Emmy award winner

Posted by Westlake, son! on September 17, 2012 at 11:13 AM · Report this
I'll add my congratulations to everyone else's. Well mine and my Bi-sexual wife's congrats. We almost didn't recognize the man in the suit and necktie.

BTW my wife's 19 year old son is gay and we are both supportive of him
Posted by Romial on September 17, 2012 at 11:47 AM · Report this
Luisa 79
Muchas felicidades!!! You guys are total winners and also muy muy guapos all dressed up like that!
Posted by Luisa on September 17, 2012 at 11:54 AM · Report this
This is so wonderful, congratulations. It'll be a great day when civil rights are guaranteed for all and no one (kid or otherwise) feels less than because of who they are . . . and DUDE! Terry is hot!
Posted by DCGirl on September 17, 2012 at 1:09 PM · Report this
Our Lady Of Guadalupe 82
Mark Mom Finley is eating her out out (again) right about now...

and CONGRATULATIONS!
Posted by Our Lady Of Guadalupe on September 17, 2012 at 1:39 PM · Report this
ballard dude 83
strong work dan and terry! congratulations!
Posted by ballard dude on September 17, 2012 at 7:13 PM · Report this
Paul Pearson 84
Congratulations! I can't think of a more deserving project.
Posted by Paul Pearson on September 17, 2012 at 10:17 PM · Report this
Pridge Wessea 85
Late to the party, but congratulations.
Posted by Pridge Wessea on September 18, 2012 at 8:16 PM · Report this