and Drunks

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Saturday Night Live Has a New Obama: What Do You Think?

Posted by on Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Jay Pharoah debuted his Obama impression on Saturday Night Live last night, but the whole skit was hijacked by Jason Sudeikis's Mitt Romney. Especially that last bit, which, although dialed up a notch, gets the whole Romney anti-mystique just right.

But what do you think?

biffp 1
It's a Sanford & Son economy.
Posted by biffp on September 16, 2012 at 11:26 AM · Report this
Typographer 2
You left off the obviously only correct answer: I thought Fred Armisen's impression was pretty bad, but now I realize it could have been horribly worse.
Posted by Typographer on September 16, 2012 at 11:37 AM · Report this
Sudeikis's Mitt is way too likable.... Mitt is several rungs down on the charisma ladder even from a impression of him.
Posted by ohthetrees on September 16, 2012 at 12:18 PM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 4

I refuse to watch state sanctioned comedy.

Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on September 16, 2012 at 12:49 PM · Report this
venomlash 5
@4: Never watched Sesame Street when you were little, eh?
Posted by venomlash on September 16, 2012 at 1:33 PM · Report this
Knat 6
Those who are old enough to have watched Sanford & Son and those who still enjoy SNL are on decidedly different sides of the minimum voting age requirement.
Posted by Knat on September 16, 2012 at 3:37 PM · Report this
I like Fred Armisen but was uncomfortable with the black face.
Posted by wxPDX on September 16, 2012 at 4:26 PM · Report this
Bauhaus I 8
They made a big deal of handing over the reigns. Don't get me wrong. I think Jay Pharoah is da bomb, but I liked Fred's Obama better.

A bit of a slow start last night on SNL - but holy shit! Was Seth MacFarlane magnificent or what? No question he's a very intelligent, talented man when it comes to producing and voicing animation, but he's a wonderful performer as well. Thought I was going to wet myself when he was doing Lochte. I mean, "It feels so weird to be dry.?" Comedy masterpiece!
Posted by Bauhaus I on September 16, 2012 at 4:31 PM · Report this
Bauhaus I 9
...oh and word has it that Jason is only going to stay on through the election. Rumor is he's leaving in January. Has he dropped about 15 pounds? He's looking gooooood.
Posted by Bauhaus I on September 16, 2012 at 4:33 PM · Report this
Jay is ok, sounds a little stiff, like he needs a lot more work with the character to really get into the groove.

So far imo, Reggie Brown is the standard for Obama impersonators--truncated RNC performance, full performance on Bill Maher--Smoother, easier delivery and funnier material
Posted by neo-realist on September 16, 2012 at 5:58 PM · Report this
Gern Blanston 11
It's kind of interesting that they made Fred Armisen darker to play Obama, but made Jay Pharoah a little lighter to play the same role.
Posted by Gern Blanston on September 16, 2012 at 6:55 PM · Report this
Teslick 12
They had to give Pharoah something, as all he was doing were Denzel Washington and Will Smith impersonations.
Posted by Teslick on September 16, 2012 at 8:07 PM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 13
The guy who did Paul Ryan was pretty good. I couldn't tell if he was speaking like a 10 year old with a lisp from missing front teeth or not, but if so... fucking genius.

Also, the camera angle made it look like he was wearing a beanie. Then I realized it was just the camera. No beanie.
Throw a fucking beanie on your Paul Ryan guy. That'd work all by itself.
Posted by Urgutha Forka on September 16, 2012 at 10:17 PM · Report this
Ipso Facto 14
Jay Pharoah did a pretty good job with the voice, but the overall appearance and facial expressions aren't quite there yet.

Fred Armisen's Obama was absolutely genius, it was one of the best things about the show in recent years.

I loved the passing of the mantel of Obama from Fred to Jay in the opening last night.

Is Fred really doing a whole new season? That would be awesome -- Fred Armisen is really the lynchpin of the show now.

I've never been much of a fan of Seth McFarlane, but he rocked pretty hard last night. Good show all around, I even like the new flourishes to the opening credits.
Posted by Ipso Facto http://therealnews.com on September 16, 2012 at 11:37 PM · Report this
@ 7, well you know Obama's mother was white.
Posted by sall on September 17, 2012 at 7:06 AM · Report this
The Paul Ryan was quite good.

Best skit of the show was the puppet workshop. I sincerely hope Bill Hader gets to pull out that puppet again.
Posted by ignatz ratzkywatzky on September 17, 2012 at 4:00 PM · Report this