Friday, August 31, 2012

Koch Sucker

Posted by on Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 12:26 PM

A few weeks back I pissed off some people for refusing to celebrate Jeff Bezos' $2.5 million contribution to the marriage equality campaign. Well, today we learn that piece of shit Republican kajillionaire David Koch supports marriage equality too (not to mention my favorite PBS program, NOVA)!

So, if Koch were to back up his support of gay marriage with a multimillion dollar donation, should I drop my criticism of him too? Or am I allowed to support marriage equality while still believing that there are some issues that are more important?

Geocrackr 1
You're at The Stranger - of course you're not allowed to do that.
Posted by Geocrackr on August 31, 2012 at 12:30 PM · Report this
bleedingheartlibertarian 2
That Koch supports marriage equality isn't news.

And to answer your question...no. But a "thank you for the donation to a good cause" might be in order.
Posted by bleedingheartlibertarian on August 31, 2012 at 12:30 PM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 3
Strange bedfellows?

Try this on for size:

Daily Mail Uncovers Paul Ryan’s Black Ex-Girlfriend

...while he was in college at Miami University in Ohio, Ryan had a romantic relationship with one of the star cheerleaders for Miami University’s Redhawks team – a driven, fitness-obsessed young woman (not unlike him) named Deneeta Pope. [It lasted 5 years]

Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on August 31, 2012 at 12:33 PM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 4
I still won't wipe my ass with his toilet paper.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on August 31, 2012 at 12:36 PM · Report this
Claypatch 5
Wha tha....? I bet Koch is doin this just to fuck wif Romney.
Posted by Claypatch on August 31, 2012 at 12:40 PM · Report this
Goldy: Purity is for poodles. If someone horrible does a good thing, praise it. You're not accepting the rest of his record by noting an exception. How could you not know this?
Posted by Regina Hackett on August 31, 2012 at 12:47 PM · Report this
Koch is just being intellectually consistent to his libertarian belief system. The larger question I have to ask is why have Democrats made it their issue? It's a noble thing yes -- but what does it do for poor and working people?
Posted by artful_bodger on August 31, 2012 at 1:01 PM · Report this
@7: It is a civil rights issue, which makes it a Democratic issue.
Posted by sarge on August 31, 2012 at 1:09 PM · Report this
I'm perfectly OK hating Koch for his attempts to destroy democracy and install a plutocratic government while appreciating his stance on marriage equality. I certainly don't intend to stop hating him because of his douchebag actions, but will welcome any support for equal rights.
Posted by Grrrwlr on August 31, 2012 at 1:17 PM · Report this
You_Gotta_Be_Kidding_Me 10
"Or am I allowed to support marriage equality while still believing that there are some issues that are more important?"

This is exactly what I tell all my liberal friends as I vote Republican.
Posted by You_Gotta_Be_Kidding_Me on August 31, 2012 at 1:25 PM · Report this
You don't praise someone for doing a basic thing for human rights. I'm sick of billionaires being praised for not being assholes. Wow! You did something not completely dick-ish! Fucking amazing!
Posted by barfy cute on August 31, 2012 at 1:48 PM · Report this
COMTE 12
I"m with @11 on this - and at the risk of invoking Godwin's Law, I'd place it under the "even Hitler liked dogs" category.

The only thing worse than a complete asshole is someone who thinks taking a humane stand on one or two issues completely makes up for the other 98% of their asshole-ish beliefs and actions.
Posted by COMTE on August 31, 2012 at 2:34 PM · Report this
Like others have said, this "everyone is either a saint or a demon" mentality is puerile.

When people praised Bezos for his contribution, they weren't saying he's a perfect guy, or even that he's a net-positive guy, or that he's absolved for the time he lied about his third grade homework, or that he can now park in disabled spaces without reproof.

They were saying that he did a good thing. And he did.

So yes, if the Koch brothers plunked millions of dollars into marriage equality, yes, that would be a good thing and merit praise.

It's called "nuance" -- life gets more complicated but also more understandable once you start perceiving it.
Posted by also on August 31, 2012 at 5:01 PM · Report this
Everything is more important than gay rights, if you are straight.
Posted by Calvin2012 on September 1, 2012 at 11:34 AM · Report this
Occupy Seattle 15
So is David Koch going to actually put his money where his mouth is (no pun intended) and tell his fawning Americans for Prosperity minions that gay marriage is all good? Me thinks not. I don't see him or Dick Cheney shedding any tears over violence against gays or minorities. Where's the Todd Akin moment for Michele Bachmann, who practically killed the Sikh Indians herself with the violent anti-Muslim rhetoric? No one's telling her to step down for the good of the party, and yet, I think being indirectly responsible for murder is at least as serious as promoting "legitimate rape."

Next in the headlines: David Koch professes profound love and respect for all the brown people who do the hard work that "real" Americans (aka white Americans) won't do, and actually earning enough to feed their family. Such American success story! Only way to end that Hollywood fairy tale is to rip them apart from their families, jail them, deport them, and let them die in the streets of Mexico. Should be a new Disney movie.
Posted by Occupy Seattle on September 3, 2012 at 2:21 AM · Report this