Friday, August 31, 2012

Is This a Great Country OR WHAT?!?!?

Posted by on Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 9:12 AM

"More Americans watched TLC's controversial reality show Here Comes Honey Boo Boo on Wednesday night than the Republican National Convention."

I feel queasy.

Thanks a lot, Jill.

Pope Peabrain 1
Honey Boo Boo takes on Obama in the ring, next. Who will deliver the knock out punch?
Posted by Pope Peabrain on August 31, 2012 at 9:17 AM · Report this
I thought that WAS the republican national convention!
Posted by Curtis Interruptus on August 31, 2012 at 9:20 AM · Report this
actually, sadly. not true. The aggregate audience for the RNC was vastly larger due to all the networks that were airing the convention. Honey was on only 1 network.

"Fox News gave the show its closest competition with a 1.2 adults rating in the same time period. On the broadcast networks, Honey Boo Boo bested ABC and CBS' demo showing for the RNC combined and topped NBC by two-tenths of a point. Aggregate coverage of the RNC across networks obviously eclipsed Honey Boo Boo considerably."
Posted by nador on August 31, 2012 at 9:25 AM · Report this
this reassures me that Americans can CHOOSE what bullshit to stuff down their eye-holes. God Bless America.
Posted by Chicago Fan on August 31, 2012 at 9:31 AM · Report this
Joe M 5
I say Honey Boo Boo will score a prime time speaking slot at the 2016 RNC.
Posted by Joe M on August 31, 2012 at 9:31 AM · Report this
I don't think it's sad. Here Comes Honey Boo Boo sounds pretty terrible, but the Thompson family isn't as devoted to making the world a worse place as the Republican Party.
Posted by redemma on August 31, 2012 at 9:32 AM · Report this
CC-Rob 7
We have reached idiocracy.
Posted by CC-Rob on August 31, 2012 at 9:35 AM · Report this
MacCrocodile 8
@2 - Shit, what? You mean Honey Boo Boo isn't the GOP nominee? I guess I'm voting for Obama after all.
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on August 31, 2012 at 9:37 AM · Report this
Oh come on, that's just a rational choice.
Posted by Westside forever on August 31, 2012 at 10:15 AM · Report this
ScrawnyKayaker 10
I have no idea what Honey Boo Boo is, but apparently it's a valuable resource for actors:

Posted by ScrawnyKayaker on August 31, 2012 at 10:27 AM · Report this
Honey Boo Boo is a great show. Maybe read Rich Juzwiak's introductory piece on it and see with fresh eyes. Worked for me.
Last night, TLC premiered its first Toddlers & Tiaras spin-off, Here Comes Honey Boo Boo. It is a show that reinforces what its source has been trying to tell us all along: the families of those who enter their children into beauty pageants are way more fascinating than the pageants themselves. The show's resulting viral noise has been astounding. You know a piece of pop culture is onto something when many agree that is that it's signaling the fall of civilization. Not since Jersey Shore's debut have the pearls been clutched so ardently, the eyes fixed so steadily.
Posted by gloomy gus on August 31, 2012 at 10:36 AM · Report this
There's nothing newsworthy, compelling or interesting about the conventions. I hardly see this as a sign of the apocalypse.
Posted by bigyaz on August 31, 2012 at 11:03 AM · Report this
Frank Blethen's vodka distiller 13
Love it.
Posted by Frank Blethen's vodka distiller on August 31, 2012 at 11:20 AM · Report this
Hernandez 14
It's all fun and games until "Here Comes Honey Boo Boo" loses its time slot to TLC's latest controversial reality show, "Ow My Balls."
Posted by Hernandez http://hernandezlist.blogspot.com on August 31, 2012 at 11:38 AM · Report this
More, I Say! 15
I'm with Gus!! I can't even hate on these rednecks, because damn it, they are kind of loveable!
Posted by More, I Say! on August 31, 2012 at 1:35 PM · Report this
marymc 16
Makes sense to me. While Honey Boo Boo was no doubt deeply disturbing, it couldn't have even come close to the Republicans on parade.
Posted by marymc on September 2, 2012 at 12:16 PM · Report this