and Drunks

Monday, August 27, 2012

Gold Star Comment: That Was My Drunk Husband Dragged Out of Rent and Arrested

Posted by on Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Two weeks back, former news intern Mike Gore shared the story of a man who was arrested at the 5th Avenue Theatre during a showing of Rent for allegedly refusing to surrender his wine glass, threatening a couple patrons, throwing his glass at an usher, and then fighting with the cops.

All the while, the police report said, the man's wife was sitting there—just trying to enjoy the damn show, thank you—and she stayed put while her husband was hauled off in a squad car and then allegedly vomited wine at the police station.

Well, in the comment thread on Friday, someone claiming to be that wife posted this comment, saying "I wanted to see the show and I didn't think it was fair for me to have to suffer for his bad behavior":

Listen up kids... I'm the man's aforementioned wife.

I picked him after I got off work and drove directly to the theater. I did not observe how much alcohol he had consumedd at home before I picked him up. As we usually do, we bought a glass of wine to enjoy before the show started (I paid—big mistake). I finished my glass before he did and advised him he needed to finish his drink. He then informed me he did not want to "chug it." I also mentioned to him that wine was not allowed in the theater. He chose to ignore my advice.

After sitting down—he with his plastic cup of wine—several other patrons excused themselves because they wanted to get by us to reach their seats. I don't know what he said to one of the women, but I did hear her response, which was a playful, "Hey, give me that wine."

I was just as shocked as everyone else when he replied, "You try to take my wine and I'll stap you on the ass." The two women then sat down right next to me (on the right) and I apologized for his bad behavior. These were NOT the same women who asked to be seated in another area—those two were sitting on my husband's left side and obviously were nervous about his behavior.

Anyway..... the narrative is pretty much as described above. He did throw the plastic cup and then refused to apologize for his rudeness. I urged him to "man up" and apologize but he declined. At that point I realized he was beyond listening to anything I had to say and I decided he would get what he deserved.

I stayed because I wanted to see the show and I didn't think it was fair for me to have to suffer for his bad behavior. I had the support of the women around me who clearly saw that I was not defending his behavior.

I did enjoy the show, despite the drama, and hope my espousal unit learned a valuable lesson. We have attended numerous cultural events throughout the Seattle area during the past ten years and believe me, this is a first outburse of this nature at any of those venues. It will also be the last!

Well, she did "enjoy the show, despite the drama." Which, if I understand Rent correctly, means that she enjoyed watching the spectacle of the arrest despite what happened on stage.

TVDinner 1
That was Mrs. Fnarf, wasn't it?
Posted by TVDinner http:// on August 27, 2012 at 3:34 PM · Report this
Congratulations on handling this properly. I've wasted many an evening trying to apologize for/control a drunken man. Sometimes people can only learn from experience.
Posted by kathy. on August 27, 2012 at 3:40 PM · Report this
Hmm, those other women seem disturbed and nervous by my spouse's bad behavior. I'd better just sit here like a lump and let him do whatever he wants.

Yeah, this isn't really that good a defense for you, lady. Might as well have just kept your mouth shut, just like at the show.
Posted by suddenlyorcas on August 27, 2012 at 3:55 PM · Report this
Eric Arrr 4
@Dom,

Zing!
Posted by Eric Arrr on August 27, 2012 at 3:58 PM · Report this
scary tyler moore 5
no, @1, that was mrs. seattleblues.
Posted by scary tyler moore http://pushymcshove.blogspot.com/ on August 27, 2012 at 4:19 PM · Report this
TVDinner 6
Fair enough. We all know Fnarf wouldn't be drinking substandard wine from a plastic cup, much less sitting through "Rent."
Posted by TVDinner http:// on August 27, 2012 at 4:30 PM · Report this
The thing that isn't mentioned in this little article is that Rent is a shitter of a show. She must have wanted to see this abomination really badly.
Posted by Weekilter on August 27, 2012 at 4:40 PM · Report this
Cascadian Bacon 8
This guy rules!

I bet he got out of being dragged to shitty musicals forever.

I am so thankful my wife doesn't like this kind of shit, in fact she walked out of the last shitty play that he employer tried to make her watch.
Posted by Cascadian Bacon on August 27, 2012 at 4:53 PM · Report this
Cephalodude 9
@8- yes, you hate gay faggy stuff. Masculinity proven! Good for you.
Posted by Cephalodude on August 27, 2012 at 6:04 PM · Report this
Cascadian Bacon 10
@9
Naw I actually like a lot of "faggy" stuff, including The Pet Shop Boys.

Cool generalization though, I bet you think all homosexuals are into the theater and work as interior designers.

I do hate shitty plays though.
Posted by Cascadian Bacon on August 27, 2012 at 6:37 PM · Report this
rara avis 11
I feel like someone should point out that if the husband's behavior is becoming erratic and agressive, and not as the result of drinking, he needs to see a doctor.
Posted by rara avis on August 27, 2012 at 7:44 PM · Report this
Andy_Squirrel 12
@9 That is the most bizarre conclusion to draw from a dismissal of theatre. Yes, us progressive Seattle Sloggers hate the gays! You caught us red handed.
Posted by Andy_Squirrel on August 27, 2012 at 9:47 PM · Report this
Pridge Wessea 13
@10 - You like PSB? Oh god, now we have something in common.
Posted by Pridge Wessea on August 27, 2012 at 9:59 PM · Report this
"Well, she did 'enjoy the show, despite the drama.' Which, if I understand Rent correctly, means that she enjoyed watching the spectacle of the arrest despite what happened on stage."

If you are having problems understanding Rent correctly, you might revisit The Stranger Review...

From The Stranger Review:
"It's awe-inspiring and almost unbelievable what the new production of Rent at the 5th Avenue Theater pulls off."

"This production is something else. It's inventive, it's wrenching, it's gorgeously sung, it's dirty in ways you don't expect, and it's teeming with new signs of life."

"This is Seattle's very own tight-knit community of artists up there. That's why this Rent feels so authentic, transcendent, and sublime."
Posted by klackadack on August 27, 2012 at 10:25 PM · Report this
that is probably the best comment that has ever been on slog
Posted by Swearengen on August 27, 2012 at 11:42 PM · Report this
What means this "stap you on the ass"?
Posted by madcap on August 28, 2012 at 1:35 AM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 17
I like her poise. But she could be headed fo danger. Her husband sounds like the kind of drunk that hits cop cars and flees.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on August 28, 2012 at 3:54 AM · Report this
Sir Vic 18
Gender roles are funny, aren't they? Swap the genders in this story, and the guy is still an ass for letting his wife go crazy in public. And he sounds like the kind of guy that would fail at any role he needed to perform.
Posted by Sir Vic on August 28, 2012 at 6:08 AM · Report this
@3, she told him not to bring the wine in the theatre. She told him to grow up and apologize. He was acting like an ass. Just what was she supposed to do?
Posted by clashfan on August 29, 2012 at 8:09 PM · Report this