Monday, August 27, 2012

DJ Ira Glass vs DJ Dan Savage: Round Two!

Posted by on Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 4:47 PM

iradjbattle.JPG

The last time Ira Glass came to Seattle I challenged him to a DJ battle: Ira's well-stocked iPad vs. my insane collection of disco show tunes. It was epic:

DJ Dan Savage and DJ Ira Glass danced their way through a three-hour set at Re-bar's monthly Trouble Dicso dance night. Needless to say, the space was packed—500 people squeezed their asses on the dance floor with greased hips, ready to throw down their best dance moves with the two men on stage. If you didn't make it through the door, here's what you missed: DJ Savage's 90-minute set—heavy on the broadway showtunes, with remixes of songs like Roger Whittaker's "What I did for Love" (from Chorus Line) to Ethel Merman's "I'm an Indian Too" (Annie Get Your Gun)... Glass followed up by playing—and singing along to—Miley Cyrus's "Party in the U.S.A.," clearly vying for the title. Glass also played tunes by Jay-Z, Lady Gaga, Ok Go, and the White Stripes, among others.

DJIraGlass_S.jpg
The first DJ Glass vs. DJ Savage DJ battle—sponsored by TROUBLE and the Stranger—was billed as a once-in-a-lifetime event. Well, scratch that, Seattle, because it's a twice-in-a-lifetime event now: TROUBLE and the Stranger are pleased to announce DJ Ira Glass vs. DJ Dan Savage: Round Two! Ira and I will be dissing (each other) and spinning (the hits) on Saturday, Sept 8 at Showbox At The Market. Tickets are $10, doors open at 10 PM. Join us for another amazing night of dancing, sing-alongs, pop hits, and crazy disco versions of showtunes!

What pop hits will Ira play this time? How many new disco showtunes have I managed to unearth in the two years since our first throw down? Will the nerds outnumber the gays? Will the gays outnumber the nerds? Who will emerge victorious? There's only one way to find out: join us at the Showbox on September 8! Order your tickets NOW!

AND! There are still some seats available for Ira's program at Benaroya Hall earlier in the same evening. Get your ticket to Ira Glass: Reinventing Radio here!

YES! I never made it into the first one because the line was so long and was probably sold out by the time I made it to the door!
Posted by Timothy Rysdyke on August 27, 2012 at 4:58 PM · Report this
dnt trust me 2
Will the nerds outnumber the gays? Gays outnumber the nerds? That's funny, did you write that Dan? As to answering the questions, I think it depends on how much black dick gets sucked.
Posted by dnt trust me on August 27, 2012 at 5:09 PM · Report this
can't fade that flyer, dj dantucket comes correct.
Posted by deepconcentration on August 27, 2012 at 5:29 PM · Report this
Thanks for letting us know! I got a ticket but we'll see if I go. I'm shy, but disco showtunes, who can resist?
Posted by gloomy gus on August 27, 2012 at 5:29 PM · Report this
despicable me 5
THIS is what you miss when you live near Los Angeles instead of Seattle (:
Posted by despicable me on August 27, 2012 at 5:38 PM · Report this
emma's bee 6
@5: that goes double for flyover country! Oh well, here's hoping Dan will post the mp3, as he did last time, for those of us who'll have to miss it. Long live Trouble Dicso!
Posted by emma's bee on August 27, 2012 at 6:33 PM · Report this
Sargon Bighorn 7
Are people over 30 allowed?
Posted by Sargon Bighorn on August 27, 2012 at 6:33 PM · Report this
bleedingheartlibertarian 8
It was definitely mostly nerds last time. We're the ones who bought tickets ahead of time and showed up early.

(Also, it was great fun!)

Posted by bleedingheartlibertarian on August 27, 2012 at 6:33 PM · Report this
Can we collapse that spectrum by asking how many gay nerds there will be?
Posted by SifuMark on August 27, 2012 at 6:43 PM · Report this
reverend dr dj riz 10
did somebody just say something about sucking black dick ?
Posted by reverend dr dj riz on August 27, 2012 at 7:23 PM · Report this
despicable me 11
@6, "SavAss" is what I labeled that recording when I downloaded it! I listen to it about once a month while I'm busy doing chores or laundry.
Posted by despicable me on August 27, 2012 at 7:32 PM · Report this
smade 12
You guys paid for every song, right?
Posted by smade on August 27, 2012 at 9:45 PM · Report this
So is it at All Pilgrims or Showbox at the Market? My best guest is that there are two events this ticket gets you into, but the flyer doesn't mention an afterparty...

IRA GLASS AFTER PARTY with Dan Savage! at All Pilgrims (General Admission)
Saturday, 9/8 at 10pm
Showbox at the Market
Posted by cccCody on August 27, 2012 at 11:34 PM · Report this
Tom X 14
Lol no.
Posted by Tom X on August 27, 2012 at 11:38 PM · Report this
debug 15
Hey Dan and Ira. We are living in the future. Why is this not being live-streamed on the internet for those of us unlucky slobs who don't live in Seattle but still want to party with you?

Al Gore invented the internet purely so we could all party real-time across the globe. Make it happen! Please dammit.
Posted by debug on August 28, 2012 at 9:53 AM · Report this
I am sadly too far away to come. I will be a nerd in absentia.
Posted by Learned Hand on August 28, 2012 at 10:31 AM · Report this
PLEASE tell me you and Ira will record another podcast!
Posted by KendraC on August 28, 2012 at 7:06 PM · Report this
QueenAnne 18
Why does Ira Glass pretend to be straight! Btw, hipster's don't look up to nerd Ira Glass. Get real, he played Miley and Britney music at Re-bar.
Posted by QueenAnne on August 30, 2012 at 5:34 AM · Report this