Friday, August 24, 2012

The Nature of Lost Property

Posted by on Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 8:20 AM

Lost sunglasses. Maybe they are in good condition. Maybe they will make me look cool.

Screen_shot_2012-08-24_at_8.26.16_AM.png

But before I pick up the lost object, this thought appears in my head: it might, once in my possession, reveal itself (scratches, some missing something) to be junk. The problem with this is that once you pick up junk, it's your junk. And because I always put junk where it belongs, in a waste container (it's how I was socialized), I'll have to carry the damn thing around until I find a proper and socially responsible way to part with it. This sounds like a lot of trouble. There aren't many public waste containers in the area. It's better to leave the sunglasses there in the bush.

Suddenly I see two moments for a piece of junk to become yours. One is clear; the other is murky. One is the moment you pick it up; the other is the moment you recognize it. I recognized a piece of junk and didn't transport it to its proper place - a waste container. My entire walk to Columbia City Station was bothered by this thought, this newly discovered guilt.

Matt from Denver 1
Goddamnit Charles, you did NOT post this at 8:20. This was not here before 9:00. Why did you reset the time?
Posted by Matt from Denver on August 24, 2012 at 9:13 AM · Report this
Will in Seattle 2
The problem might be that what is another man's junk, is some woman's nightmare.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on August 24, 2012 at 9:15 AM · Report this
Will in Seattle 3
@1 charles and I belong to an elite society of Time Travelers. I know, it's shocking, but now the Truth must be told.

Oh, and you should really stop drinking, @1, it WILL be the death of you.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on August 24, 2012 at 9:16 AM · Report this
treacle 4
Ah, advanced responsibility: whereby one becomes responsible for things (and people) with which one comes into contact. Its a difficult world, but if more people were like this, it would be a better world.
Posted by treacle on August 24, 2012 at 9:21 AM · Report this
edie murphy beverly hills have eyes cleary 5
You're a bad man, Chuck.
Posted by edie murphy beverly hills have eyes cleary on August 24, 2012 at 9:36 AM · Report this
Zebes 6
Charles is my favorite.
Posted by Zebes http://www.badrap.org/rescue/index.html on August 24, 2012 at 9:39 AM · Report this
Sean Kinney 7
Real glass and metal frames? Those will get you laid people.
Posted by Sean Kinney http:// on August 24, 2012 at 9:43 AM · Report this
Charles Mudede 8
@1, im on painkillers. i composed the thing at that time.
Posted by Charles Mudede on August 24, 2012 at 9:52 AM · Report this
You_Gotta_Be_Kidding_Me 9
Wow Chuck.
You're so deep.
I'm so impressed.
Posted by You_Gotta_Be_Kidding_Me on August 24, 2012 at 9:54 AM · Report this
You_Gotta_Be_Kidding_Me 10
"im on painkillers"
nuff said
Posted by You_Gotta_Be_Kidding_Me on August 24, 2012 at 9:56 AM · Report this
Enigma 11
You're great, Charles. I hope the next time I see you at Vermillion we can chat.
Posted by Enigma http://washingtonunitedformarriage.org/ on August 24, 2012 at 10:37 AM · Report this
tainte 12
don't pick up anything you find in the city. it's all covered in piss.
Posted by tainte on August 24, 2012 at 11:36 AM · Report this
Eastpike 13
I feel the same way about reading a post with your name at the headline, Charles. Is it junk? Am I just going to waste my time reading this? Deep intellectual/political essay or bottom-of-shoe tripe? Or is it possible to be both?
Posted by Eastpike on August 24, 2012 at 11:45 AM · Report this
Sean Kinney 14
@12. Most folks I know have running water. Stores sell soap (last time I checked).
Posted by Sean Kinney http:// on August 24, 2012 at 12:52 PM · Report this
venomlash 15
@2: "another man's junk, is some woman's nightmare"
So women are afraid of cocks? Just because YOU can't get any...
Posted by venomlash on August 24, 2012 at 1:11 PM · Report this
If you leave it where it is, you can consider it re-gifting. The generous soul is the guilty soul.
Posted by Local Yokel on August 24, 2012 at 8:40 PM · Report this