and Drunks

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Donald Trump Just Killed Hundreds of Babies

Posted by on Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 2:29 PM

TrumpTweet.jpg

Donald Trump is scheduled to play a "surprise" role at next week's Republican National Convention, which, judging from his latest tweet, I'm guessing may involve murdering a baby. Because that's what comes from stupid fucking anti-vaccine celebrities like Trump repeating the anti-scientic bullshit of the stupid fucking anti-vaccine baby killers: Dead babies.

Of course what Trump is responding to is a new S C I E N T I F I C study linking an increased risk of autism and schizophrenia with the increased age of the father. But rather than accepting that at the age of 66, he might want to stop impregnating supermodels with his own aging, mutated sperm, Trump has decided to blame autism on vaccines, citing... absolutely nothing. (Because there is no credible anti-vaccine science to cite.)

Stupid fucking anti-vaccine baby killer.

To repeat: The goal of our immunization programs is to vaccinate enough people to build a "herd immunity" sufficient to protect those with weak or immature immune systems from disease and death. So don't be a stupid fucking anti-vaccine baby killer like Republican Donald Trump. Be a responsible neighbor and vaccinate yourself and your children.

balderdash 1
It's strange to see far-right wackjobs lining up with the Hollywood types on the vaccination issue. They're normally at each other's throats. I wonder if the uniting power of fuck-stupid ignorance will be enough to make them BFFs or if they'll end up fracturing the damn anti-vaccine movement?
Posted by balderdash http://introverse.blogspot.com on August 23, 2012 at 2:42 PM · Report this
MacCrocodile 2
Man, sometimes I regret that I live in the US where an asshole can't get arrested for saying such dangerous things as "Don't vaccinate your babies" and dropping the H in "huge".
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on August 23, 2012 at 2:42 PM · Report this
I totally agree that what Donald Trump is doing here is despicable, but you might want to check the rhetoric. There may well be legitimate reasons for individual parents to decide not to vaccinate an individual kid, and in doing so they shouldn't be tarred as 'baby killers'. Those kids are among those that herd immunity is supposed to protect. The real harm is at the system level where people like Trump are trying to scare the masses into rejecting vaccines with fake science.
Posted by So-called Claire on August 23, 2012 at 2:45 PM · Report this
blip 4
Of course! No one ever suspects the father.

@3 I believe the last paragraph in the post addresses your concerns.
Posted by blip on August 23, 2012 at 2:48 PM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 5
Geezus this guy is fucking stupid. These right wingers who think they're smarter than doctors make me want to puke. Akin is another one. They don't care if people die.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on August 23, 2012 at 2:48 PM · Report this
Pick1 6
It's times like these I just pull out my waterslide

I have a fellow employee that never vaccinated his kids and has sent me to websites with secret lists of staggering government statistics of hidden deaths and terrible symptoms. Of course all these websites are printed in Comic Sans for some strange reason...
Posted by Pick1 on August 23, 2012 at 2:49 PM · Report this
@4: That paragraph is the source of my concerns. Imagine a person who is on the fence about vaccination for some reason reading, "So don't be a stupid fucking anti-vaccine baby killer like Republican Donald Trump. Be a responsible neighbor and vaccinate yourself and your children." Wouldn't that get their back up, and maybe make it harder to cut through the disinformation with this person?

My point is that an individual parent deciding not to vaccinate their kids isn't automatically a 'baby-killer'. The villains here are the ones trying to convince others to not vaccinate.
Posted by So-called Claire on August 23, 2012 at 2:53 PM · Report this
Fnarf 8
@7, an individual parent deciding not to vaccinate their kids IS a baby-killer, if "autism" is part of the reason.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on August 23, 2012 at 2:57 PM · Report this
why does anyone take anything that Donald Trump says seriously?
Posted by blandauppgoy on August 23, 2012 at 3:00 PM · Report this
Matt the Engineer 10
Let's go easy on @7. A parent deciding not to vaccinate their kids isn't necessarily a baby-killer. They're only a potential baby-killer. There's only a small but significant chance they're a baby-killer. Whether their kid ends up getting sick and passing that on to a baby is impossible to know.
Posted by Matt the Engineer on August 23, 2012 at 3:04 PM · Report this
@9:

Because they're Republican National Convention-goers?
Posted by N in Seattle http://peacetreefarm.org on August 23, 2012 at 3:06 PM · Report this
@10 For the record, my kids are up to date with their vaccinations and I count vaccines as among one of the reasons I'm glad I wasn't born earlier. I just wanted to point out of that if the goal of such a post isn't just to make fun of Trump and people who take him seriously but possibly also to have a positive impact on vaccine rates, approaching the parents in question with respect is probably more effective.
Posted by So-called Claire on August 23, 2012 at 3:09 PM · Report this
Matt the Engineer 13
@12 Probably true. But what fun is that?
Posted by Matt the Engineer on August 23, 2012 at 3:11 PM · Report this
Pick1 14
@9 Because he has MONEY AND IS THEREFORE WORTHY OF RESPECT.

Gaining wealth is the largest show of strength and respectability.
Posted by Pick1 on August 23, 2012 at 3:11 PM · Report this
I think I get where #3 and #7 are headed. My niece and nephew can't get some vaccines because their mother had GBS. So those two kids are at the complete mercy of other parents to get themselves and their kids vaccinated. My brother and sister in law aren't baby killer but are at a higher risk for having their babies killed.
Posted by Dernin29 on August 23, 2012 at 3:12 PM · Report this
This is such a strange issue. I mean, where the hell else are Trump and Robert Kennedy Jr. totally aligned on an issue? Well, I guess im glad that liberals haven't cornered the market on vaccine stupidity. Watching the damn moron hippy mom from Ashland on Frontline try to defend not vaccinating her baby made me so furiouos i almost turned tea bagger, or whichever political party is trying to legalize shooting hippies.
Posted by longball on August 23, 2012 at 3:23 PM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 17
I wasn't going to watch the convention next week but with the line up of fucking bat shit crazy that's gonna be on TV how can I NOT watch it!!!

Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on August 23, 2012 at 3:24 PM · Report this
Anybody who deliberately doesn't get their kids vaccinated is a worthless pile of shit and in a just world should immediately be sterilized and their children taken from them. Or is that too subtle an opinion for some of you?
Posted by tkc on August 23, 2012 at 3:31 PM · Report this
Goldy 19
@12 I've been clear in previous threads about my goal: It is to totally ridicule and discredit the "vaccines cause autism" movement so as to make people feel shame and embarrassment at even considering it. I want to make dangerous anti-scientific proclamations like Trump's toxic.

No doubt speaking reason to concerned parents is a valid approach too. But I'll leave that to others.
Posted by Goldy on August 23, 2012 at 3:43 PM · Report this

So, you've chosen the easier, less effective option?
Posted by LJM on August 23, 2012 at 3:48 PM · Report this
Doctor Memory 21
Huh, 20 responses without sgtdoom coming in to drool all over his own shoes? He's slipping.
Posted by Doctor Memory http://blahg.blank.org on August 23, 2012 at 3:55 PM · Report this
MacCrocodile 22
@21 - In his own drool, no doubt.
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on August 23, 2012 at 3:59 PM · Report this
I have no problem with parents who choose not to vaccinate their children as long as they have a legitimate reason for doing so. Like the kid will have a reaction to the vaccine or such. But to just say "I won't vaccinate my kid because of the risk of autism", or some conspiricy theory, is near criminal in my book. Those who can't get immunizations need the rest of us to, and there are still illnesses out there that can easily kill the person it infects.

I know this first hand. My child contracted meningitis and almost died. The vaccine that would have prevented this particular strain was about a year away from being released for use. So she was unlucky enough to be born a year too soon. I believe in vaccinations, and she was current on all of hers. If she could have been vaccinated against this strain, she would have, and we would not have had to go through a nightmare.
Posted by SeattleKim on August 23, 2012 at 4:01 PM · Report this
bleedingheartlibertarian 24
Keep bangin' this drum, Goldy. Parents who don't vaccinate their children because of a fear of autism are fucking idiots, and are rightly called out for it.
Posted by bleedingheartlibertarian on August 23, 2012 at 4:09 PM · Report this
Doctor Memory 25
@22 FTW
Posted by Doctor Memory http://blahg.blank.org on August 23, 2012 at 4:12 PM · Report this
This will play just fine within the Very Silly Party, it feeds right into their anti-science, anti-education and anti-regulations mindset.

Kids are no longer dropping like flies from say polo so vaccines are useless, even dangerous. Rivers are no longer suddenly bursting into flames so the EPA must be useless, even dangerous. I don't understand the benefits society gets from an understanding of evolution so it must be useless, even dangerous.

The Very Silly Party will lap it up.

Posted by Machiavelli was framed on August 23, 2012 at 5:04 PM · Report this
A man in California by the name of Ben Feingold linked thimerosal to demyelination of nerve fibers back in the late 70s. While it isn't autism, it does dispute the "no credible anti-vaccine science" claim made on this article.
Granted, since the study was done before the Internet Age, it isn't easy to find. But you'd think Goldy, being a journalist and all, would have at least looked for anti-vaccine science before making such a bold claim.
Posted by One of the study subjects on August 23, 2012 at 5:14 PM · Report this
Goldy 28
@27 Huh. You'd think if you were going to accuse me of not doing due diligence on Thimerosal, you might have checked to see that Thimerosal has been eliminated from nearly all vaccines administered to children age six and younger.
Posted by Goldy on August 23, 2012 at 5:29 PM · Report this
COMTE 29
Oh, I thought this was going to be a masturbation joke. Carry on, carry on...
Posted by COMTE http://www.chriscomte.com on August 23, 2012 at 7:09 PM · Report this

Cases of autism in the U.S. have now increased by over 2700 per cent since 1991, which is when vaccines for children doubled, and the number of immunizations is only increasing. Just one in 2,500 children were diagnosed with autism before 1991, whereas one in 91 children now have the disease, up from one in 150 just six years ago
Posted by Topjoe on August 23, 2012 at 9:29 PM · Report this
Zebes 31
@30

Holy shit, 1991 is when the Super NES was released in the US. Clearly there is a connection! SUPER NINTENDO CAUSES AUTISM
Posted by Zebes http://www.badrap.org/rescue/index.html on August 24, 2012 at 12:20 AM · Report this
venomlash 32
@30: Yeah, and the changes in the way autism is diagnosed have nothing to do with it.
Alternately, autism causes vaccination.
Posted by venomlash on August 24, 2012 at 6:27 AM · Report this
@7, yes, there are perfectly good reasons not to vaccinate specific children. Individual parents need to make a decision based on their specific children's health. However, if you're telling people en mass not to inoculate their children based on invented "science" about autism you are killing children. In fact, the first children you kill will likely be the children with specific medical reasons that they can not be inoculated.
Posted by Root on August 24, 2012 at 1:23 PM · Report this
@30, let me see if I've got this straight. In 1991 vaccinations of children doubled (overnight? over a decade? what?) then autism increased by 2700%? That seems like a pretty clear indication that vaccines aren't causing autism. If vaccinations cause autism and we double the number of vaccinations (by the way why did vaccinations magically double in 1991?) we would expect to see autism, oh I don't know, maybe double? If autism goes up by 2700% when vaccines double that means there almost has to be something else.
Posted by Root on August 24, 2012 at 2:04 PM · Report this
@33: I'm totally with you on Trump et al being baby killers. As I said, my issue was that the juxtaposition of these two sentences: "So don't be a stupid fucking anti-vaccine baby killer like Republican Donald Trump. Be a responsible neighbor and vaccinate yourself and your children." suggests that the parents who decide for legitimate reasons not to vaccinate are baby killers too. Like so many parenting debates, these issues are sensitive.

The goal is to get as many people vaccinated as medically possible. I understand Goldy's strategy of trying to make the bogus counter-arguments toxic. But enough parents know (of) people who couldn't get vaccinated for legitimate means that I think this strategy could backfire if not approached carefully. People are typically making these decisions in the context of early parenthood: not enough sleep, overwhelming sense of responsibility for someone they love more than they thought they could love anyone, overwhelming amounts of information to take in. On the other hand, good on Goldy for making it a topic in a venue not only frequented by parents. I hope he succeeds in convincing people of the important of vaccination before they are faced with those decisions as parents.
Posted by So-called Claire on August 25, 2012 at 8:41 PM · Report this
I would have expected more from Mr. Trump. He's not supposed to be that stupid. However, calling him a baby-killer might be a bit hyperbolic.
Posted by DRF on August 26, 2012 at 12:21 PM · Report this