and Drunks

Friday, August 17, 2012

"Sharpie Parties"

Posted by on Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 8:52 AM

All the rage, according to Reuters:

In the age of Facebook and Twitter, a new crime has hit America: "Sharpie parties," gatherings of revelers armed with "Sharpie" magic markers and lured by social media invitations to wreak havoc on foreclosed homes....The partygoers are handed Sharpie pens on arrival by their hosts and urged to graffiti the walls - a destructive binge that often prompts other acts of vandalism, including smashing holes in walls and doors, flooding bathrooms and ripping up floors.

Banks that own the foreclosed homes are reluctant to pursue the perpetrators, [realtor Andy] Krotic says, because they don't have the resources to hunt down the miscreants. Even if they're caught, the unwanted publicity from their prosecution would likely incite more parties. "Usually they leave the damage and just drop the price," Krotic said.

Full story here.

In lesser news, when I was growing up, my mom got big into wallpaper, but before any went up, she'd give my brother and me a week or so to write all over the soon-to-be-covered walls with markers. It was the greatest.

katrat 1
Hooray for Mom Schmader!
Posted by katrat http://www.kathrynrathke.com/ on August 17, 2012 at 8:58 AM · Report this
Your mom is the coolest. My mom would have been convinced that the ink would have affected the glue in some way, and made us scrub down the walls instead.
Posted by suddenlyorcas on August 17, 2012 at 9:02 AM · Report this
--MC 3
I went to a do like this about six years ago. The house was going to be torn down so we went up and down the stairs painting the walls with cartoons and art and text. Then a band or two played. It was like those things where the bands play in the house and then they set the place on fire.
Posted by --MC on August 17, 2012 at 9:03 AM · Report this
Geocrackr 4
Just highlighting the fact that sharpies aren't actually "destructive" (except maybe "destroying" the paint).
Posted by Geocrackr on August 17, 2012 at 9:04 AM · Report this
balderdash 5
"All the rage" meaning "maybe happened a couple times in Cleveland," just like every youth trend that makes it into the news.
Posted by balderdash http://introverse.blogspot.com on August 17, 2012 at 9:14 AM · Report this

Crying a river for the banks. Poor banks!
Posted by balmontguy on August 17, 2012 at 9:20 AM · Report this
bleedingheartlibertarian 7
I miss the carefree, innocent days of rainbow parties.
Posted by bleedingheartlibertarian on August 17, 2012 at 9:27 AM · Report this
Gay Dude for Romney 8
@4, well then, that's destructive.

Someone has to spend hundreds or thousands to buy paint, hire a crew, try to match the color and maybe having to repaint the entire room(s). Not fun.
Posted by Gay Dude for Romney http://mittromney.com on August 17, 2012 at 9:27 AM · Report this
@8 It's a jobs program!
Posted by Jin Seattle on August 17, 2012 at 9:34 AM · Report this
samktg 10
@8, A magic eraser costs five bucks.
Posted by samktg on August 17, 2012 at 9:35 AM · Report this
@5, makes me nostalgic for those old "wilding" stories. And Moms Schmader does sound great - I was raised to be cautious around people who wallpaper, but she seems like a good 'un.
Posted by gloomy gus on August 17, 2012 at 10:01 AM · Report this
MacCrocodile 12
@8 - If you're selling a house, white isn't all that hard to match. Real estate agents love white.

@2 - My mom would have let us draw on the walls, then she'd discover that the paper she'd picked was cheap enough that the ink would bleed through the paper. Then again, my mom fucking hates wallpaper.
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on August 17, 2012 at 10:04 AM · Report this
Fnarf 13
Sharpie bleeds through paint, and shows through even if it doesn't, so you'd better do an undercoat. Cost doubled.

Kicking in the walls? This is terrific why? To spread the scourge of substandard housing in places that need it most?
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on August 17, 2012 at 10:09 AM · Report this
@13 to be honest though those Bailo loved exurbs are going to be too expensive for poor people to live in as has continues its climb upwards in price. They're the next generation of a ghost town. Until an alternative fuel comes out that makes cars cheap enough to do a long commute, very few can afford to live in those foreclosed housing Devolpements.
Posted by CbytheSea on August 17, 2012 at 10:35 AM · Report this
Will in Seattle 15
Next up, Mansion Looting. Smash and grab mobs.

Coming soon!
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on August 17, 2012 at 10:57 AM · Report this
Zebes 16
I read the title and thought this was going to be about the latest and hottest moral panic. "Teenagers reportedly hosting 'sharpie parties' and using markers to write obscene language on eachother's breasts and genitals! Your kid may be doing this RIGHT NOW!"
Posted by Zebes http://www.badrap.org/rescue/index.html on August 17, 2012 at 11:00 AM · Report this
MacCrocodile 17
@16 - That sounds like fun. I'm going to try that with my no-good friends later this weekend.
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on August 17, 2012 at 11:44 AM · Report this
@8: You mean the walls they would have had to paint over anyways?
Posted by suddenlyorcas on August 17, 2012 at 12:13 PM · Report this
Geocrackr 19
According to @8, this guy just "destroyed" his door...
Posted by Geocrackr on August 17, 2012 at 1:08 PM · Report this
@14: You got anything to back your assertions up? They sound like utter nonsense.
Posted by Joe Glibmoron on August 17, 2012 at 2:28 PM · Report this
keshmeshi 21
@10,

A magic eraser likely works for crayons, but Sharpie? No way.

@16,

I thought it was about people huffing the toxic fumes. Mmm, Sharpie fumes.
Posted by keshmeshi on August 17, 2012 at 3:39 PM · Report this
I'm huffing whiteboard markers as i type, and it's lovely. It's the smell of autism. But oh, back to, what?, yeah, the damn banks and art and rage and breaking shit. How many times have i been written on with a sharpie? That's be a FUCKTON, bob. And I don't advise it. I also don't advise breaking other peoples shit.

Sidewalk chalk for the concrete. Spray paint, if you can draw. And yeah, sharpies for the only one who's still awake.
Posted by SweetDarkLord on August 17, 2012 at 4:00 PM · Report this
Cascadian Bacon 23
@3

I remember doing this too. There was a great one at an old Victorian by the Shell on top of Madison, today there are ugly townhouses in its place.

Posted by Cascadian Bacon on August 17, 2012 at 4:31 PM · Report this
@20 which one do you want me to backup? That gas is going up and will continue to as the global economy comes back? Or the one about how there's lots of housing Devolpements where nearly every house is foreclosed on?
Posted by CbytheSea on August 17, 2012 at 5:10 PM · Report this
@20 now that I reread my post, I could see where the confusion came from 'has' should read as 'gas' which I do think raising prices in gas are going to hurt the exurb housing market.
Posted by CbytheSea on August 17, 2012 at 5:12 PM · Report this
doloresdaphne 26
It doesn't matter if it's a person that pays, or the banks, unless there's a good chance that these parties are going to result in the demolition of exurban houses and return the land to forest or agriculture, then destroying the houses just mean more time, money and resources (that would be better used elsewhere) spent on repairing the damage.

But I guess, in order for teenagers to feel like they want to give something back to society, or at the very least, not do any harm, they would need to feel like they haven't been cheated by society, or at the very least feel that society had let them be.
Posted by doloresdaphne on August 17, 2012 at 9:49 PM · Report this