and Drunks

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The Little Printer Publishes Wallet-Sized Newspapers: What Do You Think?

Posted by on Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Back in November, I told you about the Little Printer, a tiny little web-connected printer that publishes information on receipt-paper sized strips. Today, the Little Printer is available for pre-order. It costs $259.

The Verge has an in-depth look at the Little Printer and at the company that produces it, BERG. I really like the things that BERG is doing with technology and paper; I bought a copy of Warren Ellis's BERG-produced comic book, SVK, last year. The comic came with a credit-card-shaped UV light that exposed a special invisible ink in the comic that revealed "thought balloons" that the main character could "read" with mental telepathy. With the Little Printer, the idea is that you print out a bookmark-sized personalized newspaper once or twice a day, full of whatever you choose—the day's headlines, puzzles, messages, photos, trivia—and have a moment of offline peace before you spend the rest of your day hooked into the intertwits.

I don't think the Little Printer is a practical idea on its own, but I do think people could find interesting uses for it, such as keeping in touch with older, non-tech-enabled relatives. But what do you think?

thatsnotright 1
You left out the choice: I'll wait and buy it at Goodwill.
Posted by thatsnotright on August 14, 2012 at 1:26 PM · Report this
Cracker Jack 2
OK, totally off topic, but the first thing that came to mind when reading about the company making these was this.

Posted by Cracker Jack on August 14, 2012 at 1:28 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 3
You left out the military spying usage.

Cool idea, tho.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on August 14, 2012 at 1:29 PM · Report this
This waste of space, money, power, and paper would have been an insanely dumb idea fifteen years ago, when people started getting halfway readable LCD screens in their pockets for less than this abomination is priced at. It would have been mind-boggingly, inconceivably stupid five years ago, when a fraction of the cost of this printer you could get a phone with a genuinely large, readable screen, and tablets were just coming to the popular mass market. Now, it's become some sort of post-dumb: it now so thoroughly defies the very concept of rational assessment that the only appropriate responses are scatological or consist entirely of whimsical non-sequiturs. The market for this abomination consists entirely of the terminally hip, the clinically insane, and people who collect doomed gadgets.
Posted by Warren Terra on August 14, 2012 at 2:01 PM · Report this
Reverse Polarity 5
"I do think people could find interesting uses for it, such as keeping in touch with older, non-tech-enabled relatives"

You do realize that most hypothetical "older, non-tech-enabled relatives" can no longer read tiny print, right? This is the audience for large-print books. I know it's a hard concept for you young Sloggers out there, but almost all of you will need reading glasses by the time you are 50. I just started having to wear them myself. I hate it.

I can no longer read everyday receipts without the help of reading glasses. The very idea of this little printer, printing out custom news feed (or happy notes from younger relatives or whatever) out on receipt paper fills me with rage. I wouldn't take one if you gave it to me for free.

I don't know what other use might be made for it, but this particular idea is a total non-starter.
Posted by Reverse Polarity on August 14, 2012 at 2:34 PM · Report this
ScienceNerd 6
My iPhone does this without paper.
Posted by ScienceNerd http://stanichium.tumblr.com/ on August 14, 2012 at 2:47 PM · Report this
Fnarf 7
@3, seriously: seek medical help. Something is deeply wrong with how you acquire, process, and disseminate information.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on August 14, 2012 at 2:56 PM · Report this
Mmm, bisphenol A.
Posted by Kathamster on August 14, 2012 at 3:32 PM · Report this
rob! 9
In addition to the fact that this is just fucking ridiculous, there is insufficient understanding of the effects of BPA-impregnated thermal-printer paper. (That may be WiS's major problem.)
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on August 14, 2012 at 3:33 PM · Report this
Soupytwist 10
@9 - They are also selling BPA-free thermal paper, which is also widely available now.

P.S. I WANT ONE.
Posted by Soupytwist http://twitter.com/katherinesmith on August 14, 2012 at 4:28 PM · Report this
Gee, I'm kicking myself for throwing away $200 on a Nexus 7 tablet when I could have had one of these instead for just $59 more. <- Sarcasm <-
Posted by PaulBarwick on August 14, 2012 at 5:13 PM · Report this
Yeah only terminally hip people will shell out that asking price, and all of the charm of the device will be sucked out as if by a vacuum when they roll out the "ad supported" version. I marked that I'd love it if I had a free one, cause I do think that it would be helpful to have some text messages as little persistent pieces of paper that demand to be read and dealt with. But it seems like they could have offered this as a low price monthly service and gotten the co-operation of major retailers. Why do I have to won little printer? Why can't what ever messages that are waiting for me not just be at the bottom of my next Starbucks receipt?
Posted by LukeJoe on August 14, 2012 at 5:37 PM · Report this
Gospodean 13
Won't someone PLEASE: Think of the trees!
Posted by Gospodean on August 14, 2012 at 6:00 PM · Report this
Just put smaller paper in your regular printer.
Posted by giffy on August 14, 2012 at 6:47 PM · Report this
@3 just made me laugh so goddamn hard.
Posted by katallred on August 14, 2012 at 9:40 PM · Report this
Jaymz 16
Love the polls that end up with similar percentages in each selection - GOOD JOB!
Posted by Jaymz on August 15, 2012 at 12:06 AM · Report this
GlibReaper 17
I'm considering one just to print out SLOG posts with dainty QR codes on them. Won't someone think of the newspaper industry?
Posted by GlibReaper on August 15, 2012 at 10:57 AM · Report this