Monday, August 13, 2012

David Rakoff's Last Dance

Posted by on Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 8:08 AM

Beautiful!... RIP David and thank you for your words and your gentle searing wit!

Posted by Erstegeiger on August 13, 2012 at 8:32 AM · Report this
MacCrocodile 3
What is this wetness on MacCrocodile's faceplate?
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on August 13, 2012 at 9:04 AM · Report this
TVDinner 4
Our culture has suffered a grave loss. He was magnificent.
Posted by TVDinner http:// on August 13, 2012 at 9:35 AM · Report this
In2ishn 5
Such a lovely man.
Posted by In2ishn on August 13, 2012 at 9:44 AM · Report this
emma's bee 6
That was so extremely moving. Thank you for posting.
Posted by emma's bee on August 13, 2012 at 10:13 AM · Report this
nocutename 7
Recently there have been a few deaths of people I never really met that have really affected me. Nora Ephron's was one. David Rakoff's is another.
I am glad that the last thing I heard him do on "This American Life" was a Kafka-meets-Seuss story, for which he wrote the line: "Samsa. Samsa I am-sa."

You will be missed, sir.
Posted by nocutename on August 13, 2012 at 10:35 AM · Report this
Schmapdi 8
Very funny, very moving - I started to cry a little when he danced.

Rakoff was one of my favorite authours - and "Fraud" & "Don't Get Too Comfortable" are among my very favorite books.

I should re-read "Half Empty" - I don't think I gave it that fair a shake the first time around.
Posted by Schmapdi on August 13, 2012 at 1:14 PM · Report this
Lovely. Thanks for posting Dan
Posted by peace 2 you on August 13, 2012 at 2:12 PM · Report this
I heard this piece on the radio, but it was very moving to actually see it.

So sad he's gone.
Posted by Korinthia Klein on August 13, 2012 at 3:25 PM · Report this
Dade 11
Well shit, now I'm crying at work. Absolutely beautiful.
Posted by Dade on August 13, 2012 at 4:18 PM · Report this
I knew i'd break out in tears for this, waited the whole day to watch it. I was right.
Posted by wingedkat on August 13, 2012 at 7:03 PM · Report this
And now I'm crying.

RIP to one of the best essayists ever.
Posted by weatherwax on August 13, 2012 at 8:30 PM · Report this
Mudkips 16
Remember when this blog used to be busy and relevant?
Posted by Mudkips on August 15, 2012 at 6:59 AM · Report this
Beautiful. Thank you.
Posted by Gaudior on August 15, 2012 at 7:33 AM · Report this
NewYawkahUK 18
@15, thank you for the pointer to Terry Gross's tribute to David. May his memory be for blessing.
Posted by NewYawkahUK on August 17, 2012 at 7:40 AM · Report this
What a wonderful gift this was. I am moved and motivated by this video. I wonder how much of myself and a lot of others I know, that I see in this wonderful person?
Posted by AxeMoose on August 20, 2012 at 11:34 PM · Report this