Monday, August 13, 2012

David Rakoff's Last Dance

Posted by on Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 8:08 AM

Beautiful!... RIP David and thank you for your words and your gentle searing wit!

Posted by Erstegeiger on August 13, 2012 at 8:32 AM · Report this
Holy Jeebus that destroyed me.
Posted by fitzus on August 13, 2012 at 8:52 AM · Report this
MacCrocodile 3
What is this wetness on MacCrocodile's faceplate?
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on August 13, 2012 at 9:04 AM · Report this
TVDinner 4
Our culture has suffered a grave loss. He was magnificent.
Posted by TVDinner http:// on August 13, 2012 at 9:35 AM · Report this
In2ishn 5
Such a lovely man.
Posted by In2ishn on August 13, 2012 at 9:44 AM · Report this
emma's bee 6
That was so extremely moving. Thank you for posting.
Posted by emma's bee on August 13, 2012 at 10:13 AM · Report this
nocutename 7
Recently there have been a few deaths of people I never really met that have really affected me. Nora Ephron's was one. David Rakoff's is another.
I am glad that the last thing I heard him do on "This American Life" was a Kafka-meets-Seuss story, for which he wrote the line: "Samsa. Samsa I am-sa."

You will be missed, sir.
Posted by nocutename on August 13, 2012 at 10:35 AM · Report this
Schmapdi 8
Very funny, very moving - I started to cry a little when he danced.

Rakoff was one of my favorite authours - and "Fraud" & "Don't Get Too Comfortable" are among my very favorite books.

I should re-read "Half Empty" - I don't think I gave it that fair a shake the first time around.
Posted by Schmapdi on August 13, 2012 at 1:14 PM · Report this
Lovely. Thanks for posting Dan
Posted by peace 2 you on August 13, 2012 at 2:12 PM · Report this
I heard this piece on the radio, but it was very moving to actually see it.

So sad he's gone.
Posted by Korinthia Klein on August 13, 2012 at 3:25 PM · Report this
Dade 11
Well shit, now I'm crying at work. Absolutely beautiful.
Posted by Dade on August 13, 2012 at 4:18 PM · Report this
Sorry, Dan, but David's always been my favorite gay guy. What the hell is this moisture on my faceplate.
RIP
peace
Posted by marking on August 13, 2012 at 5:13 PM · Report this
wingedkat 13
I knew i'd break out in tears for this, waited the whole day to watch it. I was right.
Posted by wingedkat on August 13, 2012 at 7:03 PM · Report this
And now I'm crying.

RIP to one of the best essayists ever.
Posted by weatherwax on August 13, 2012 at 8:30 PM · Report this
Rest peacefully David.

Terry Gross/Fresh Air had a nice remembrance for David last Friday (10-Aug). His reading of the poem 'Letter to N.Y.' in the 2010 interview is so beautiful.
Posted by kswaeby on August 14, 2012 at 4:40 PM · Report this
Mudkips 16
Remember when this blog used to be busy and relevant?
Posted by Mudkips on August 15, 2012 at 6:59 AM · Report this
Beautiful. Thank you.
Posted by Gaudior on August 15, 2012 at 7:33 AM · Report this
NewYawkahUK 18
@15, thank you for the pointer to Terry Gross's tribute to David. May his memory be for blessing.
Posted by NewYawkahUK on August 17, 2012 at 7:40 AM · Report this
What a wonderful gift this was. I am moved and motivated by this video. I wonder how much of myself and a lot of others I know, that I see in this wonderful person?
Posted by AxeMoose on August 20, 2012 at 11:34 PM · Report this