and Drunks

Friday, August 3, 2012

The Last Stand of the Gallery on Pike and Broadway

Posted by on Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 9:13 AM

TIMES UP Jameson, Melissa Stern, Robert Hardgrave, Carole dInverno, and Randy McCoy are some of the gallerys artists.
  • Courtesy Fetherston Gallery
  • TIME'S UP Jameson, Melissa Stern, Robert Hardgrave, Carole d'Inverno, and Randy McCoy are some of the gallery's artists.

After 15 years at 818 East Pike Street, Fetherston Gallery is closing its doors at the end of this month. The building it's in was sold and the rent tripled, Betsy Fetherston says. "The neighborhood has become too popular," she says. "I am actually excited about a new location." She hasn't figured out where yet.

Tonight from 5 to 8 is the final opening at the space (of a group show by gallery artists), in the heart of Pike/Pine, which once had galleries ranging from 911 Media Arts Center and CoCA (in what's now Oddfellows) to Martin Zambito (in what's now the Other Coast Cafe). The neighborhood has changed, that's for sure. I'll miss Fetherston.

In other gallery shuffling news, IDEA Odyssey, which opened a year ago devoting itself to minority culture, will close its doors after September 8. It was a part of Storefronts Seattle, and while it wanted to become a permanent fixture, that didn't happen, so a new rotating installation will go into the space. In its short time, there were a handful of strong shows there; I hope they'll continue.

Baby Blue 1
Oh boo! I was just walking by Fetherston a week or so ago (they were closed, unfortunately) and was admiring the various royals work. I'm not sure which artist is responsible for them but they are amazing.
Posted by Baby Blue on August 3, 2012 at 9:43 AM · Report this
We've got lots of space on the south end. Come on down.
Posted by K on August 3, 2012 at 11:21 AM · Report this
jseattle 3
Food and drink, folks. Food and drink. http://www.capitolhillseattle.com/2012/0…
Posted by jseattle http://capitolhillseattle.com on August 3, 2012 at 12:09 PM · Report this
@babyblue: elizabeth jameson, perhaps?
Posted by lowercase on August 3, 2012 at 3:12 PM · Report this
Baby Blue 5
@4: I thought it might be but I googled her and it appears her work is all brain stuff. I tried to google all of the artists listed but didn't find what I was looking for. I guess I'll have to try to talk the hubby into a field trip to Cap Hill this evening lest this remaining a mystery for all eternity.

Or, I could pick up the phone, I suppose.
Posted by Baby Blue on August 3, 2012 at 3:52 PM · Report this
Baby Blue 6
Weird! It IS her! Either she has really changed her style or google is not playing nice (or, you know, there's more than one artist named Elizabeth Jameson).
Posted by Baby Blue on August 3, 2012 at 3:55 PM · Report this