and Drunks

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Traffic Report: I-5 Hazmat Situation

Posted by on Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 2:56 PM

We don't have any photos at the moment, but a traveler on I-5 says that all the northbound lanes south of Seattle are a parking lot and people are getting out of their cars and standing around between vehicles. Right now, Washington Department of Transportation's website says, cryptically, "All lanes of northbound I-5 at I-90 in Seattle are blocked due to a hazmat situation. There is no estimate on when I-5 will reopen."

If anyone's stuck in it and wants to snap a photo, send it to us and I'll add it to this post.

UPDATE: Here's a traffic cam of the spill. Whatever spilled is white.

Posted by lukeiscool on August 1, 2012 at 3:00 PM · Report this
Are you sure that's not the foam?

"Whatever spilled" = "The liquid is sodium borohydride and sodium hydroxide solution, chemicals used for bleaching pulp and wood products ..." from your favorite website, The Seattle Times
Posted by Swearengen on August 1, 2012 at 3:12 PM · Report this
derek_erdman 3
As long as it's vegan, I'm cool with it.
Posted by derek_erdman http://www.derekerdman.com on August 1, 2012 at 3:24 PM · Report this
meanie 4
I drove by southbound right after it happened, while traffic was stopped, you could smell the spill downwind, it smelled like tubs on cleaning day from the street.
Posted by meanie http://www.spicealley.net on August 1, 2012 at 3:33 PM · Report this
WSDOT's twitter feed has had some pretty sad photos from the traffic cams. Per SFD, the spill was only two freakin' gallons of the stuff.
Posted by pony on August 1, 2012 at 3:37 PM · Report this
HazMat Experts and Firefighters petition Dow Chemical and Union Pacific for safe rail tank cars transporting gas chlorine. Secondary containment is a necessary improvement that must be implemented. See--PETITION C KIT for First Responders Comments.
Posted by rudy caparros on December 21, 2012 at 2:20 PM · Report this