and Drunks

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Jon Stewart on Mitt Romney's You-Didn't-Build-That-Attacks

Posted by on Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Watch this and pass it on. Romney's attack on this is dumb, disingenuous, and easily disproved. But the thing is that lots of people are eager to believe President Obama would say something like this. This is the only thing the Romney campaign has right now, and the full context needs to reach saturation point before they give up on this attack.

stinkbug 1
Stupidly they cut the bit in two when they posted it online. You posted the last 6 minutes, here's the first 3 minutes:

Posted by stinkbug on July 26, 2012 at 12:00 PM · Report this
stinkbug 2
Er, I meant you linked to the last 6 minutes. Didn't mean to imply you're the one that cut the segment in half. My gaffe.
Posted by stinkbug on July 26, 2012 at 12:01 PM · Report this
To my hope that you stop using "hopefully" to mean "I hope", add my hope that you lay off reaching for the easy "disingenuous" so often.
Posted by gloomy gus on July 26, 2012 at 12:08 PM · Report this
MacCrocodile 4
@3 - Hopefully, you'll get over it.
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on July 26, 2012 at 12:25 PM · Report this
Love how dissing "hopefully" has become the crusade du jour for the pedantic prescriptivists.
Posted by MR M on July 26, 2012 at 12:39 PM · Report this
@5 But at least they're not being disingenuous about it.
Posted by stating the obvious on July 26, 2012 at 12:59 PM · Report this
As an ingenue I remain ever hopeful.
Posted by gloomy gus on July 26, 2012 at 1:12 PM · Report this
Loves it!
Posted by michael bell on July 26, 2012 at 1:19 PM · Report this
More, I Say! 9
@Gus, you should read Bill Bryson's "The Mother Tongue: English and How it Got That Way."

A summary from my cousin: "I was on mushrooms once whilst in the middle of reading this book, and I got so wrapped up in the arbitrariness of language and grammar, and the fact that all of it is completely made up, that I just didn't know how to talk anymore. It shattered my world."
Posted by More, I Say! on July 26, 2012 at 2:50 PM · Report this
@9, I like Bryson well enough, but his defense of "hopefully" delights in missing the point of avoiding it, that writers like to use it as a flabby placeholder. Same with "disingenuous". These aren't bad words, but writers use them for shortcuts, which is a habit I get yelled at for in my own writing. So I yell at others. Paying it forward.
Posted by gloomy gus on July 26, 2012 at 3:39 PM · Report this
More, I Say! 11
@10 A-HA! A writer, are you?! Hopefully you do not take this reply sarcastically, I'm not trying to be disingenuous....

...just, bratty. :)
Posted by More, I Say! on July 27, 2012 at 10:05 AM · Report this
well, hopefully this comment is the last one. seriously.
Posted by peskypoop on July 30, 2012 at 9:19 PM · Report this