and Drunks

Monday, July 23, 2012

J.P. Patches: Words Cannot Describe

Posted by on Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 9:34 AM

The passing of J.P. Patches has gotten a couple nods on Slog already, but mere words can't do this clown justice.

Here's J.P. Patches working his wonderfully quirky schtick on TV.

And here he is with his beloved girlfriend Gertrude, who was really just a guy with a mop on his head.

RIP, J. P. Patches.

Just Jeff 1
That's better.
Posted by Just Jeff on July 23, 2012 at 9:48 AM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 2
I see why he was loved so much.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on July 23, 2012 at 9:56 AM · Report this
Well done, dearie. Fine choices.
Posted by gloomy gus on July 23, 2012 at 10:20 AM · Report this
Kinison 4
I think my older brother launched into an orbit of glee when they announced his name for the birthday announcements.

He was a clown that had no clown skills, but still made us laugh. He will be missed.
Posted by Kinison http://www.holgatehawks.com on July 23, 2012 at 10:29 AM · Report this
What??!?? Gertrude was a dude?!?!?!?
Posted by DN on July 23, 2012 at 11:01 AM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 6
Did Pee Wee Herman grow up in Seattle because he stole his show from them.

These vids make me a believer, for that time the show was innovative and one of a kind.

Locals 1
Smartass outsiders 0

Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on July 23, 2012 at 11:11 AM · Report this
Gern Blanston 7
I hope the passing of JP does not mean that Boris S. Wart will now rule the City Dump with an iron fist. We must not let this happen! Mayor McGinn, I beg of you! Stop Boris S. Wart now!
Posted by Gern Blanston on July 23, 2012 at 11:28 AM · Report this
Chefgirl 8
He made his last appearance in his clown makeup just a few months ago at KCTS. I was working there that evening and stocked the green room with goodies for him. I'd met him a few times over the years; he was just your average befuddled-looking old Greek man until he got into character and then he was as sharp as a tack!
Posted by Chefgirl on July 23, 2012 at 1:43 PM · Report this
I spent the am reading tributes to JP and Im proud to be a Patches Pal. I emailed JP a number of years ago to ask him if Sandy Hill was upset when he would chase her around the set of the Big Money Movie. By todays standards JP would likely have to take a course in sexual harasment avoidance. But back then political correctness wasnt a catch phrase. JPs response to my question was " She loved it"
Posted by 13 on July 28, 2012 at 8:35 AM · Report this