Sunday, July 15, 2012

Here Are Your Next Two Years' Worth of Superhero Movies: What Do You Think?

Posted by on Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Apparently, there is a whole world out there that does not involve Mitt Romney. For instance! Last night at San Diego Comic Con, Marvel Studios unveiled their upcoming slate of movies at a panel. Bleeding Cool has the logos, and here are summaries:

Iron Man 3 is already in production. It's written and directed by Shane Black, who made the great Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, and it pits Iron Man against the Mandarin, who is usually a terrible stereotype of an Asian character. It also supposedly involves Warren Ellis's Extremis story arc.

Thor: The Dark World will send Thor to some sort of world which is probably dark.

Ant-Man will be directed and written by Edgar Wright. Nobody has been cast yet, but Wright has shot some test footage.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier adapts Ed Brubaker's popular recent storyline that brings Bucky back from the dead as an assassin.

And Guardians of the Galaxy is about Marvel's outer space team, starring weirder cosmic characters including Groot, Rocket Raccoon, Drax, Gamora, and Star Lord.

Thor and Iron Man 3 are scheduled for release next year. Captain America and Guardians of the Galaxy are scheduled for release in 2014. Ant-Man doesn't have a release date yet. So...

Zebes 1
Comic books dumb for manchildren is stupid films all this is crap grr grr hurp durp
Posted by Zebes http://www.badrap.org/rescue/index.html on July 15, 2012 at 1:45 PM · Report this
Doctor Memory 2
I'm choosing to be tentatively optimistic about Iron Man 3: "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" was ridiculously fun, and hopefully everybody involved has learned their lesson from the overstuffed disaster of IM2. Picking the Mandarin is, of course, hugely problematic, but it's not like anyone's forcing them to keep him as a Fu Manchu clone, so hopefully they'll just feel free to ignore all that.

I can't decide if a Guardians movie is the most awesome idea ever or clearly the point at which Marvel/Disney's hubris gets its titanic reward.
Posted by Doctor Memory http://blahg.blank.org on July 15, 2012 at 1:53 PM · Report this
Anne18 3
Can we get some heroic vaginas on that list?
Posted by Anne18 on July 15, 2012 at 2:22 PM · Report this
Reverse Polarity 4
Thor was boring, and I can't get very excited about Thor II.

I loved the first Iron Man, and Robert Downey Jr. totally stole the show. Iron Man 2, on the other hand, sucked ass. They'll have to work pretty hard to win me back. But I loved Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang. So lets say I'm cautiously, slightly optimistic about Iron Man 3.
Posted by Reverse Polarity on July 15, 2012 at 2:41 PM · Report this
Fnarf 5
Good movies don't have logos.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on July 15, 2012 at 2:52 PM · Report this
Max Solomon 6
umm... doctor fucking strange?
Posted by Max Solomon on July 15, 2012 at 2:54 PM · Report this
seatackled 7
Guardians of the Galaxy!

I didn't realize they were popular enough to merit a film, but I'll want to see what they do with it. Will they be fighting the Badoons--the evil males--and will be get to see the good guy females?
Posted by seatackled on July 15, 2012 at 3:02 PM · Report this
brandon 8
I like some comic book movies, but this roster makes me want to gouge out my eyes.

I'd pay to see a dr. Strange movie in a heartbeat.
Posted by brandon on July 15, 2012 at 3:39 PM · Report this
@3 right on! I guess it was wishful thinking to think maybe Black Widow would get her own thing, but between the complete lack of lady leads and the idea of Ben Kingsley as "the Mandarin," hard not to see society as regressing.
Posted by 5000927 on July 15, 2012 at 3:40 PM · Report this
balderdash 10
Well, if Iron Man 3 really does have some Warren Ellis in it, I might go check it out. I worship that mad bastard.
Posted by balderdash http://introverse.blogspot.com on July 15, 2012 at 4:02 PM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 11
Sounds like more reasons not to go to any of the uber-google-plex movie houses in the next two years. And frankly I'm kinda dreading the upcoming Star Trek movie?
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on July 15, 2012 at 4:09 PM · Report this
@5 and @11, please refer to @1.
Posted by Attendance Is Not Mandatory on July 15, 2012 at 4:31 PM · Report this
Fistique 13
@12-- You mean the dude with the My Little Pony avatar?
Posted by Fistique on July 15, 2012 at 4:36 PM · Report this
Canadian Nurse 14
A short comics-related digression.

Last weekend, my 4 year old nephew asked me if Spiderman and Iron man are friends. I started with, "I'll have to look that up, but I think they're in different universes. Iron man's Marvel, and I forget whether Spidey's DC or Marvel."

Then I realised that we were playing superhero dress up and he was just trying to figure out whether they should fight with or against each other. "Never mind. They're friends."
Posted by Canadian Nurse on July 15, 2012 at 4:49 PM · Report this
Soupytwist 15
Blah. And I love comics and comic book movies. Hell, I even like video game movies! I am cinema's worst nightmare!
Posted by Soupytwist http://twitter.com/katherinesmith on July 15, 2012 at 4:55 PM · Report this
seatackled 16
I just did some googling and found out there seems to a modern Guardians of the Galaxy that does not include the original members--Vance Astro, Charlie the guy from Jupiter, the diamond guy from Pluto, the archer, and later, Nikki, the girl from Mercury. That's who I want to see in the film, not the newer characters.
Posted by seatackled on July 15, 2012 at 5:11 PM · Report this
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn 17
The question is irrelevant; it's like asking which brand of corn meal you prefer. Superhero movies are pure commodity. Just ask how many minutes of superhero movie are you excited to watch each summer:

a. 0 to 30 minutes
b. 31-60 minutes
c. 61-90 minutes
d. 91 to 120 minutes
e. 121-180 minutes
f. 180 or more minutes

Netflix should be programmable to deliver up however many minutes of generic superhro glop per month, as requested.
Posted by Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn http://youtu.be/zu-akdyxpUc on July 15, 2012 at 5:12 PM · Report this
You mean like a jaded mandarin, like a jaded, faded, faded, jaded, jaded mandarin?
Posted by Park on July 15, 2012 at 5:45 PM · Report this
Apocynum 19
@17 My god, that sounds like something you'd see in a sci-fi film about media inundation. Movies aren't creative expression, but satisfy a certain set of keywords.

You call up 'superhero' and on-screen, one of a hundred pre-selected ordinary, youthful stars encounters an extraordinary event that changes his physical or mental capabilities in such a way that he is inexorably brought into conflict with a cackling, green-costumed representation of the investor class who happens to be distantly familiar to him.
Posted by Apocynum on July 15, 2012 at 6:07 PM · Report this
WTF is Ant Man? is he a tiny man?
Out of all the possible characters they have, why choose him?
Posted by Chester Copperpot on July 15, 2012 at 7:12 PM · Report this
laterite 21
While I do trust Edgar Wright on these matters, I would be interested in the Ant-Man movie only if the producers have the courage to go all-out on depicting Hank Pym's totally fucked-up codependent & dysfunctional relationship with his wife Janet (aka Wasp).
Posted by laterite on July 15, 2012 at 7:42 PM · Report this
I picked Ant Man because Edgar Wright.

But I am in agreement with the current front runner: Currently superhero movies make the plot to a Jackie Chan movie look original. Came from planet Krypton. Even your illegal immigrant gardener knows that, Mr. Hollywood. Get to the Supermanning already!
Posted by mubhappy on July 15, 2012 at 8:19 PM · Report this
Cephalodude 23
@20- because he's a notable Avenger and this is a means of transitioning him into the next one.

I'm a fan of superhero comics but even I'm getting bored with superhero films. They can be fun and all, but yeah...overkill. Because they have to appeal to such a large audience they can't do any of the odder Ellis-Morrison-Vaughn stuff, and those writers are really the only good thing going in mainstream comics these days.
Posted by Cephalodude on July 15, 2012 at 8:22 PM · Report this
LEE. 24
@10

I assume you're thinking of Dirty Three/Bad Seeds/Grinderman Warren Ellis? there's a comic writer of the same name. I wish they could get the other Ellis involved in one of these movies though, he'd be terrifying.
Posted by LEE. on July 15, 2012 at 9:19 PM · Report this
Westlake, son! 25
MOAR BATMAN!
Posted by Westlake, son! on July 16, 2012 at 12:02 AM · Report this
Still mad they didn't set up Antman & Wasp as founding members of the Avengers. Antman! He talks to ants! What's not to love about that?
Posted by Nitidiuscula on July 16, 2012 at 12:23 AM · Report this
--MC 27
Good on Ed Brubaker! If he can buy a big house with a pool now, he should be able to! Local boy, you know.
Posted by --MC on July 16, 2012 at 7:29 AM · Report this
Glad they're going with the weirder Marvel titles. I could give a fuck about the new Spiderman movie or another X-Men prequel or whatever...more Guardians of the Galaxy! Dr. Strange! Power-Man and Iron Fist! An adaptation of the KISS comics! That's the stuff that makes Marvel great.
Posted by redemma on July 16, 2012 at 8:33 AM · Report this
evilvolus 29
@6 - Agreed! I was really hoping that the next "cycle" of Marvel films would explore the mystical side of the MU.

Well, perhaps 2015 and beyond. It's not like Disney is going to go out of business anytime soon.
Posted by evilvolus on July 16, 2012 at 8:58 AM · Report this
ArtBasketSara 30
More! Yes! Feed me...I'll watch them all...ALL!! And I'll enjoy and complain in equal measure.

And I liked Iron Man 2. So there. *sticks tongue out and runs around in circles*
Posted by ArtBasketSara on July 16, 2012 at 9:05 AM · Report this
bleedingheartlibertarian 31
These days, I think Marvel makes better movies than comic books, and DC makes better comic books than movies. (Nolan's Batman is the exception, in that it is just as good as the best Batman comics.)

I'd like to see (in no particular order):

--Preacher, dir. by Quentin Tarantino
--Jennifer Blood, dir. by Kathryn Bigelow
--Chew, dir. by Edgar Wright

I'd also say Transmetropolitan dir. by Terry Gilliam, except that he'd probably work on it for 15 years and then Zack Snyder would end up doing it.
Posted by bleedingheartlibertarian on July 16, 2012 at 9:54 AM · Report this
WTF ! ! ! !

Where the blood eff is Aquaman?????

Plus, we need more action films with the Rat City Roller Girls!!!!

(Those babes would stop the bad guys below:)

Posted by sgt_doom on July 16, 2012 at 10:49 AM · Report this
@3 right?
Posted by kersy on July 16, 2012 at 11:16 AM · Report this
Roadflare 34
@14 Spiderman is in the Marvel Universe. There was actually talk of having a cameo of him in the Avengers, but a different studio owns the rights to Spiderman and studios are assholes. It would have been fun to see though!
Posted by Roadflare on July 16, 2012 at 12:29 PM · Report this
evilvolus 35
@32 - Aquaman is a DC property, not Marvel.
Posted by evilvolus on July 16, 2012 at 3:34 PM · Report this
evilvolus 36
@31 - I think Preacher would be Grade A material for an HBO series. I'm not sure where the best division points are, but I bet 3 8-10 episode seasons would just about nail it. Chew might even work as a network procedural. I don't think either would condense down into a single movie well.

Transmet...man, I'd love to see something done with it, but I have a hard time believing it wouldn't just make me want to read the books again. Which...I now want to do.
Posted by evilvolus on July 16, 2012 at 3:39 PM · Report this
McGee 37
I figure this Guardians of the Galaxy with Gamora and Drax will be Thanos as villain heavy and it will segue into Avengers 2. That's the one I want to see. Get weird with it Marvel.
Posted by McGee on July 16, 2012 at 4:09 PM · Report this
bleedingheartlibertarian 38
@36--you are totally right. Preacher should be a series.
Posted by bleedingheartlibertarian on July 16, 2012 at 9:22 PM · Report this
malcolmxy 39
@35

I wouldn't exactly call Aquaman a "property". I suppose DC has to claim him, though. Vincent Chase was awesome in the Aquaman movie, though (I heard...never saw it.)
Posted by malcolmxy on July 17, 2012 at 4:14 AM · Report this
malcolmxy 40
@3

I think all vaginas are super. Also, Heroic Vaginas are coming soon.
Posted by malcolmxy on July 17, 2012 at 4:15 AM · Report this