Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Heckle Me

Posted by on Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 11:03 AM

826 Seattle is a place where kids learn to dig language, and the place has style. It's a writing center in Greenwood, with a store attached where you can buy outer space travel supplies.

I'm going to teach an adult class at 826 this coming Tuesday, and I really want you to consider coming out, because the class I'm teaching is entirely a fundraiser for 826—which, being a nonprofit in a comatose economy, struggles for every last buck even though last year Michelle Obama herself gave 826 Seattle a smacking kiss.

826 calls this summer class series "How to Write Like Me," which obviously you don't want to do, so I'll double-back-flip-teach you how not to. I'm a ninja unteacher like that.

Seriously (mostly): I'll start by sharing a little about my embarrassing and humbling career in being called an Expert (critic) when I actually feel I can only write or think well when in doubt (which is often). Doubt, curiosity, and making the best possible fool of yourself—that's where we'll begin. Each of us will do a little writing (which I like to call "foolmaking"), based on pushing past what you know in a subject of your choosing, and then we'll point and laugh at each other.

Ready? The time is 7 to 8:30/9 pm next Tuesday, July 17, and tickets are $35, all of which goes to 826. Join me. Heckle me.

Heckling you is what these commenty box things are for though!
Posted by gloomy gus on July 11, 2012 at 11:08 AM · Report this
despicable me 2
Your mother dresses you funny.
Posted by despicable me on July 11, 2012 at 11:16 AM · Report this
Zebes 3
I think the idea of learning about skillfully constructed criticism (by way of bad examples, I guess) while financially supporting a writing workshop for kids is really awesome, and I guess that makes me a huge dork, but whatevs.
Posted by Zebes http://www.badrap.org/rescue/index.html on July 11, 2012 at 11:40 AM · Report this
826 is a great program - thanks for doing this!
Posted by StuckInUtah on July 11, 2012 at 12:17 PM · Report this
pg13 6
Love 826.

But no, I won't heckle you. People shouldn't heckle.

Drunk, entitled assholes heckle.
Posted by pg13 on July 11, 2012 at 12:25 PM · Report this
MacCrocodile 7
@3 - Zebes, if you go to this thing, I'll go, too, and maybe stare at you.
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on July 11, 2012 at 12:25 PM · Report this
Dr_Awesome 8
Plus you get to travel through their Atomic Matter Teleporter to get there!

I'll try to make it.
Posted by Dr_Awesome on July 11, 2012 at 12:27 PM · Report this
Sam Machkovech 9
Many of 826's amazing volunteers have a prior engagement on Tuesday--as in, the 826 softball team will be playing in Queen Anne. (We're called the Oscar Wildes.) We too would probably rather see Jen speak about the craft than lose 20-0, once again, to the Gates Foundation's team, but alas. Hope it's a good one.
Posted by Sam Machkovech http://www.samred.com on July 11, 2012 at 12:33 PM · Report this