and Drunks

Monday, July 9, 2012

Andrew Hughes Stunt Sinks to a Whole New Level

Posted by on Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Last week, an enticing email rolled into my inbox: "Hughes to Submerge Himself in Underwater Home."

"Now that's a publicity stunt!" I thought. Hughes would be underwater inside an underwater home for 92 minutes, one second for every 2,000 homeowners with an "underwater" mortgage!! I skimmed the rest of the release—people would talk, it was about home finance reform, blah blah blah...

I was also fascinated by who would own a submerged home, or who would be gracious enough to let him take their mobile home into the Puget Sound.

Imagine my surprise as I arrived:

The Underwater Home
  • The Underwater Home

Today's event consisted of Andrew spending 92 minutes underwater... in a dunk tank... wearing SCUBA gear... outside of a (possibly soon to be) foreclosed home. The event, which drew about 10 attendees (mainly staffers and interns of the Hughes campaign), was co-sponsored by OUR Washington, a PAC that advocates for low-income families.

But Hughes didn't stay under for the full 90 minutes. About 45 minutes into his dive—wearing a button up shirt and tie—he popped up to make a statement:

Why hello there, Andrew
  • Why hello there, Andrew

"Home ownership needs to be about security and stability," he said, "not about fear and intimidation."

Of course, Hughes went after where he sees a weakness from McDermott, saying that Jim "hasn't been speaking to the issues," and has instead been "speaking around them."

His concern was echoed by Marliza Melzer, who's home Hughes had been diving in front of. She has recently been in negotiations with Bank of America about her underwater mortgage, and went to a "Meet your Congressman" event at Cupcake Royale. When she asked McDermott about the mortgage crisis, he simply said (according to Melzer) that it is a "difficult issue."

Then, Hughes went back under.

levide 1
Screw this clown.
Posted by levide on July 9, 2012 at 4:44 PM · Report this
seatackled 2
What an idiot.
Posted by seatackled on July 9, 2012 at 5:00 PM · Report this
Impressive. Next, I'd like Andrew to submerge himself in poo.
Posted by J.R. on July 9, 2012 at 5:05 PM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 4

Maybe I'll whine about my underwater car, and every stock I ever invested in since 1982 that went down instead of up, or every business ripoff I've ever got taken in or every girlfriend that make me spend a fortune and dumped me. Maybe I'll make an art work out of it whininess. Maybe Obama will give me a subsidy.
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on July 9, 2012 at 5:06 PM · Report this
Zebes 5
Tonight I will sit in the tub for 45 minutes to protest... uh... banks. Being stupid.

I'm helping!
Posted by Zebes http://www.badrap.org/rescue/index.html on July 9, 2012 at 5:17 PM · Report this
Baconcat 6
Pander pander pander
Posted by Baconcat on July 9, 2012 at 5:23 PM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 7
LOL!!!! HAHAHAHAHA!!! OMG!!! This guy got my vote!! He'll fit in just fine in the Washington DC freak show!!!
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on July 9, 2012 at 5:48 PM · Report this
Glad to see that Andrew Hughes stunts have descended from the "stuff that only Stranger writers cover" level to "stuff that only Stranger interns cover"
Posted by c'mon girlfriend on July 9, 2012 at 6:11 PM · Report this
spaceapple 9
Every time a see an article about this guy, he reminds me of Tommy Carcetti from The Wire
Posted by spaceapple on July 9, 2012 at 6:55 PM · Report this
I didn't realize becoming a performance artist was something decided by the electorate.
Posted by Zach Annon on July 9, 2012 at 6:56 PM · Report this
Stewie Griffin 11
You laugh now but in 10 years....he'll be governor of Washington State.......and The Stranger will fucking endorse him too!!
Posted by Stewie Griffin on July 9, 2012 at 7:01 PM · Report this
meanie 12
@all

OH HA HA LOOK AT THIS STUPID GUY, HE ISNT NEARLY AS GOOD AS THE REST OF THE CAREER POLITICIANS WHO DO NOTHING.

Way to max out the jaded. Dude is trying too hard, but at least he is trying.
Posted by meanie http://www.spicealley.net on July 9, 2012 at 7:09 PM · Report this
@4 Seem to get taken alot there.

At some point we have to realize that the solution to our problems is not going to come from urban camping, marching, or elaborate but boring performance art.
Posted by giffy on July 9, 2012 at 8:02 PM · Report this
Oh, whippersnapper. This is becoming embarrassing. The gumption is nice and all that, but his campaign has become pretty condescending... he's obviously going for the 18-35 demographic, which he apparently thinks is easily wooed by doing things like parachuting into the block party. It's getting to be a little insulting, honestly. Work hard, knock on doors, be articulate, smart, and shrewd, and you'll make an impression.
Posted by Madeleine Elster on July 9, 2012 at 10:13 PM · Report this
He doorbelled me this weekend. He's a nice enough kid, and I don't disagree that it's good to give the long-timers who run essentially "unopposed" some competition, but this is not the way.
Posted by MLM on July 9, 2012 at 11:40 PM · Report this
Did he give his stand-up routine about being against free trade? He is a LAUGH RIOT when he talks about that
Posted by 18576 on July 10, 2012 at 9:59 AM · Report this
What has McDermott done regarding the mortgage crisis? NOTHING.
What are the two Presidential candidates talking about? The LIBOR crimes? Nope. They are talking about Seamus, Mitt's dog.
What has our federal government done to eleviate the housing crisis? NOTHING.

I am proud that at least ONE candidate is talking about this crisis.

You call it a "stunt," I call it dialog. That is what needs to happen, and a plan to stop the bleeding.
Posted by GuyFawkes on July 11, 2012 at 10:39 AM · Report this
I would like to report what the Stranger fellow (can't say he's a reporter, because he didn't report, he gave an opinion) didn't.

There was a woman who talked thoroughly about the title integrity issue that is happening throughout the country. In fact, she indicated that the title companies are indemnifying the banks. This is shocking. To think that the open registry our country has used for centuries has been corrupted by the banks in less than a decade. Land title and it's integrity has been the basis of Americans wealth and upward mobility for as long as we have been a nation. And the banks have corrupted each and every title in any property that has been bought, sold or re-financed in the last decade.

Now, THAT is reporting. You know who is a joke? The Stranger.
Posted by GuyFawkes on July 11, 2012 at 10:47 AM · Report this
The main thing I gather from this story is that the stranger intern is an idiot
Posted by Tpayne on July 12, 2012 at 3:08 PM · Report this
The main thing I gather from this story is that the stranger intern is an idiot.
Posted by Tpayne on July 12, 2012 at 3:10 PM · Report this