Wednesday, June 27, 2012

The Morning News

Posted by on Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 6:00 AM

Nora Ephron: An appraisal, by Janet Maslin.

Turkey: Stepping up its warnings to Syria.

Nordstrom: Opening its first store in Manhattan.

Vancouver Island earthquake: Only 4.9.

Our decrepit youth services center: The video.

Obama, again, on the looming healthcare ruling: Says overturning it would send the U.S. "backwards."

Who will write the opinion? Probably Roberts.

Massive wildfire: In Colorado.

Birther Queen: Thinks she's like Nelson Mandela.

And: A Christian Viewpoint, with current Washington State Supreme Court candidate Richard B. Sanders:

Pope Peabrain 1
Orly Taitz? The very dumbest of the dumb. She's the Nelson Mandela of stupid people. The Thurgood Marshall of psychotics. The Martin Luther King of backwardness and dark ages mentality.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on June 27, 2012 at 6:29 AM · Report this
Fifty-Two-Eighty 2
No, that's massive wildfires here in Colorado. Something like 12 different ones right now. It's fucking nuts.
Posted by Fifty-Two-Eighty http://www.nra.org on June 27, 2012 at 6:31 AM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 3
@2 It's all in the nature of energy stored and released. We're just in the way. But it is a tragedy for those who lose their homes and for them I am sorry.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on June 27, 2012 at 6:49 AM · Report this
Fuck the Turks. If you'd been at Smyrna, you would have stopped being a lefty fucking pussy.

I won't be happy until Anatolia is bathed under Muspel's hellfire, the minarets of the Hagia Sophia collapsed, and its altar violated with the blood of a thousand Turks.
Posted by Central Scrutinizer on June 27, 2012 at 7:02 AM · Report this
Matt from Denver 5
@ 4, you are rapidly descending the Slog ranks into the basement. Or have you always been down there and I'm only now noticing?

Eat a dick, CS.
Posted by Matt from Denver on June 27, 2012 at 7:09 AM · Report this
Theodore Gorath 6
Looks like someone's girlfriend left them for a Turkish dude.
Posted by Theodore Gorath on June 27, 2012 at 7:22 AM · Report this
Bauhaus I 7
I had no idea that Ms. Ephron was ill, and that's probably the way she wanted it. I wasn't in her circle, of course. She was from a fairly wealthy, successful family, although according to her, money flowed and ebbed. She attended Beverly Hills High and Wellesley. She knew everybody. She was literati, but she was also very approachable. likable, and down to Earth. You could tell that from her writings and from her movies. She understood what was funny and sweet and worthwhile no matter what one's background might be. I lived in New York vicariously through her.

It's a sad day for those of us who enjoyed her pieces in The New Yorker. I can't believe she gone.
Posted by Bauhaus I on June 27, 2012 at 7:44 AM · Report this
Bauhaus I 9
A preposition question: I know it's in Brooklyn, in the Bronx, and in Queens, but isn't it on Manhattan and on Staten Island? Just wondering.
Posted by Bauhaus I on June 27, 2012 at 8:10 AM · Report this
MacCrocodile 10
@2 - Hey, I'm gonna be in Denver next week. If you could get those fires cleared up by Tuesday, that'd be great.

And I guess don't die.
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on June 27, 2012 at 8:13 AM · Report this
@5: It sucks that he has probably the best username on the entire site. Wish I had thought of it and registered it sooner.
Posted by MR M on June 27, 2012 at 8:14 AM · Report this
Sir Vic 13
I, for one, would find it rather convenient for the Turks to do the heavy lifting against Assad. Shouldn't take but a few sorties to wipe out the inbred's Air Force and artillery, giving the rebels a fair shot at revenge massacres.
We've wandered into enough civil wars in that region for a while, let someone else experience the joy of endless warfare.
Posted by Sir Vic on June 27, 2012 at 8:34 AM · Report this
Bauhaus I 14
One more thing....I'm on pins and needles about the pending decision at SCOTUS (anybody else?). There isn't much I can do about it in the short term if the Affordable Healthcare Act is overturned, but I'm going to be very upset and more than mildly depressed if it is. As I understand it if both chambers of Congress gets a Democratic super majority in November, then the Supreme Court's decision is moot - but I don't even dream about that happening (Have you seen the national red/blue map by Congressional district? It's a sea of red with a few blue splotches around major cities.)

I don't have much in the way of confidence about the right decision being made after recent decisions handed down. And after Scalia's tirade after the decision on Arizona v. US was read, I'm not sure he's even of sound mind anymore. It's OK for states to have their own immigration policies because of the precedent of southern states banning the immigration of freed slaves for the first hundred or so years after completion of the Constitution? Really, Justice Scalia?
Posted by Bauhaus I on June 27, 2012 at 8:39 AM · Report this
Denver's fine, Colorado Springs is on fire. Waldo Canyon fire took a turn for the worse yesterday afternoon.
http://www.gazette.com is keeping up with things pretty well, if anyone is interested.
Posted by Bohica on June 27, 2012 at 8:43 AM · Report this
mikethehammer 16
I'm the Nelson Mandela of gassy drunks.
Posted by mikethehammer on June 27, 2012 at 8:56 AM · Report this
MacCrocodile 17
@15 - Well, I was also hoping to spend some time in Colorado Springs. Oh well. Maybe it'll take out Focus on the Family.
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on June 27, 2012 at 9:13 AM · Report this
@17:
Either it will by-pass Focus on Family's offices, proving by this sign of G-d His Protection that they're on the right side, or it will strike them, proving that they are on the right track because The World, which is Satan's, is trying to impede their work.
Posted by Gerald Fnord on June 27, 2012 at 9:32 AM · Report this
MacCrocodile 19
@18 - Alternate interpretation of a devastating fire at FotF: God is angry with us for not being anti-gay enough. HATE HARDER!
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on June 27, 2012 at 9:51 AM · Report this
malcolmxy 20
I'm just annoyed that Obama uses the word "backwards". It's "backward" like forward, onward, upward or toward.

I know what the current dictionaries say and that it is stylistically acceptable, but it's not acceptable to me. It's the result of sloppy speech, something I've certainly not come to except from the president (well, not this president, anyway...the last one, kinda.)
Posted by malcolmxy on June 27, 2012 at 10:04 AM · Report this
malcolmxy 21
Also, more than one justice can write a majority opinion. Roberts wrote a concurring opinion in the Citizen's United about stare decisis (which I don't understand...what if it was a stupid decisis? we just gotta live with it?) and Scalia wrote a concurring opinion about the 1st Amendment (which is supposedly what the case was all about, so really, that was just Scalia being the blowhard prick that he is). These were in addition to Kennedy's opinion that has been the main focus of the controversy.

Chances are, they'll both write one.
Posted by malcolmxy on June 27, 2012 at 10:13 AM · Report this
evilvolus 22
Awesome! A video about how shitty the rathole I work in is!

That bleak hallway Steve Gustaveson is talking from, that they later highlight with the line "parts of the building are abandoned because it's just not an appropriate site for housing"--It's only been entirely abandoned for about 2 months. For the last several years, half of that abandoned wing is where me and the rest of the Records Monkeys were forced to work. Too shitty for prisoners, but the only place they could find to put employees.

But that's alright. The state cut funding for a specialist Sexual Assault Unit, so we got to move into their former offices.

/sigh