Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Nora Ephron Is Dead

Posted by on Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 6:03 PM

New York Times:

Nora Ephron, an essayist and humorist in the Dorothy Parker mold (only smarter and funnier, some said) who became one of her era’s most successful screenwriters and filmmakers, making romantic comedy hits like “Sleepless in Seattle” and “When Harry Met Sally,” died Tuesday night in Manhattan. She was 71.

It's the movies everyone talks about, but her genius was not always evident in the movies. Her genius was in the essays. If you've never read "A Few Words about Breasts," you are really late to the party.

that link is a cruel, cruel joke, Frizzelle.
Posted by paulus on June 26, 2012 at 6:30 PM · Report this
Nooooo! Just noooo!
She was one of my role models back in the 70s when there were so few feisty, feminist, cynical role models.
Posted by crone on June 26, 2012 at 6:36 PM · Report this
I replaced it with a better oneā€”just for you, Paulus.
Posted by Christopher Frizzelle on June 26, 2012 at 6:36 PM · Report this
Her memoir "Heartburn" was brilliant - both hilarious and heartbreaking. The movie version didn't half do it justice, even though Ephron co-wrote the screenplay.
Posted by Pope Buck I on June 26, 2012 at 6:53 PM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 5
Smarter and funnier than Dorothy Parker? Why compare? They were both talented, funny women, and role models for millions of people, both male and female.

I loved Ephron's early essays and reporting. Her screenplays, not so much.
Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on June 26, 2012 at 7:00 PM · Report this
emma's bee 6
I will greatly miss her New Yorker essays. Leukemia sucks most mightily. RIP, dear lady.
Posted by emma's bee on June 26, 2012 at 7:30 PM · Report this
Whenever one of Manhattan's great admirers passes I get the teeling I should go live out the rest of my years there come hell or high water.
Posted by gloomy gus on June 26, 2012 at 8:36 PM · Report this
I guess I *won't* have what she's having.

Posted by capicola on June 26, 2012 at 11:29 PM · Report this