Monday, June 25, 2012

Our New Arts & Performance Quarterly Is Reportedly Just as Bad as the Holocaust

Posted by on Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 12:57 PM

We just got an e-mail about the new issue of A&P that hit the streets last week:

I was just browsing through your Summer 2012 Quarterly of Art & Performance Issue. On page seven I came across a critique by Marti Jonjak bringing to the attention of your readers, the upcoming exhibition of religious art at the Seattle Art Museum. A large image of Damasio Scannabecchi's "The Flagellation of Jesus" was shown in the article. When I started to read the cartoon like captions Jonjak was attaching to the surrounding borders of Scannabecchi's painting, my stomach started to turn. All of the comments pertained to the jokes the Roman torturers were making about Jesus' clothing, or lack of.

My question is....What is the difference between this article and a group of folks laughing & taunting Jewish families & individuals as they are being dragged off and brutalized by the Nazis not too long ago? Your newspaper prides itself for its openness and acceptance. In this case, I think you shot yourself in the foot, in trying to be smarmy and cool. I don't care how many Pulitzers you claim to have. This is a hateful and moronic cheap shot.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention! Call us crazy, but we do, in fact, see a difference between Marti Jonjak's article about a painting and a "a group of folks laughing & taunting Jewish families & individuals as they are being dragged off and brutalized by the Nazis." But we could be wrong! We have been wrong in the past. We should maybe turn this over to our readers:

Will in Seattle 1
I need to see a movie by Mel Gibson about it, first.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on June 25, 2012 at 12:59 PM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 2
Anything that uses the name "Nazi" that isn't in a history book is nothing but bullshit and not worthy to be responded to.
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on June 25, 2012 at 1:16 PM · Report this
@2
Exactly. The writer "Godwined" himself in his own article.

If millions of people are not dead or in danger of being murdered than it really cannot be compared to the Holocaust, can it?
Posted by fairly.unbalanced on June 25, 2012 at 1:40 PM · Report this
Admittedly, "not as bad as the holocaust" is setting the bar pretty low.
Posted by Proteus on June 25, 2012 at 1:47 PM · Report this
The Accidental Theologist 5
This letter's on the same level as Joe the Plumber's little tirade about how gun ownership would have stopped the Holocaust. Yugh.
Posted by The Accidental Theologist http://accidentaltheologist.com on June 25, 2012 at 2:00 PM · Report this
Zebes 6
"What is the difference between this article and a group of folks laughing & taunting Jewish families & individuals as they are being dragged off and brutalized by the Nazis not too long ago?"

A) one is ink printed on paper, the other is an action being taken by human beings
B) 72 years, give or take
C) one is at the expense of the human victims of a relatively recent historical event, the other is at the expense of the quasi-mythological image of a long-dead, ancient historical figure
D) jesus suffering on the cross has been scientifically proven to be 84% funnier than the holocaust
Posted by Zebes http://www.badrap.org/rescue/index.html on June 25, 2012 at 2:02 PM · Report this
Scalpel 7
I voted yes because this is the Internet, the home of blowing everything completely out of proportion.
Posted by Scalpel on June 25, 2012 at 2:42 PM · Report this
"Always look on the Bright side of Life..."
Posted by Senor Guy on June 25, 2012 at 3:43 PM · Report this
Sir Vic 9
Complaining email sender should avoid the Robot Chicken Christmas Special, as they really take the piss out of Santa Claus, who, as we all know, gave Jesus a birthday present every year. It's really hard to see such a good man we all know personally treated so poorly, but such is the price of art.
Posted by Sir Vic on June 25, 2012 at 3:53 PM · Report this
balderdash 10
I don't know, man. I mean, like, when you really think about it, every time someone used the Cruciatus curse in Harry Potter it was, like, really worse than all the waterboarding and extraordinary renditions of the War on Terror, because, like Cruciatus is supposed to produce ultimate agony and I mean waterboarding is pretty bad but it's not ULTIMATE. So what I'm saying is Harry Potter is definitely at least as bad as if not worse than torture.
Posted by balderdash http://introverse.blogspot.com on June 25, 2012 at 4:05 PM · Report this
passionate_jus 11
@2, 3:

Bingo.

Anybody that mentions the Holocaust lightly is an asshole. Except maybe Mel Brooks.

But since we are on the topic I think it's good to remember that the Holocaust was not only the murder of 6 million Jewish men, women,children and infants, it was also the murder of another 5 million Gypsies; gays and lesbians; disabled persons; Soviet POWs and Polish POWS and political prisoners. That's 11 million people wiped out in one of the most systematic and cruel actions ever known to man.

I guess I just can't laugh, since one of my (very) distant relatives was prisoner # 575 at Auschwitz (probably a Polish POW or political prisoner).
Posted by passionate_jus on June 25, 2012 at 6:27 PM · Report this
passionate_jus 12
PS I've been to Auschwitz twice, once in 1994 and once in 2002.

The main difference was that in 2002 there was a new memorial specifically for the Roma (aka Gypsies), which hadn't been there in 1994.

Progress, of a sort.

I do not believe there is yet a memorial specifically to GLBT's. The gay and lesbian victims are mentioned in the overall memorials but they don't have their own.

Hopefully, that will change as well some day.

The craziest part of the Roma memorial were the stories of German soldiers who were murdered at Auschwitz for being 1/4 Roma. Several German soldiers went home from the front on leave, where they would get arrested by the SS for having a grandmother who was Roma. Then they were sent to Auschwitz where they were executed.

Madness.
Posted by passionate_jus on June 25, 2012 at 6:41 PM · Report this
I thought Birch died!
Posted by ohthetrees on June 25, 2012 at 8:09 PM · Report this
lark 14
Speaking of the Holocaust and poor taste, something tells me this isn't such a good idea:

Posted by lark on June 26, 2012 at 8:44 AM · Report this
passionate_jus 15
@14

I don't see a problem with this. It's women in their 80s and 90s who actually survived the Holocaust.

It's not like it's a bunch of 20 year olds and I doubt they're doing a swimsuit competition. Maybe the choice of the words "beauty pageant" isn't the best idea, but I don't think it necessarily will be in poor taste.
Posted by passionate_jus on June 26, 2012 at 9:38 AM · Report this